Hate new cars

sonocativo

Reaction score
My wife 2004 chevy venture van started having issues with the ac not cooling, so I bought the stuff to fill it and lo and beholdm the fill valve is down about midway behind the radiator/fans and close to the exhaust manifold...so, in all, I burned the shit out of my hand trying to get to it. I could reach it but when you grab the cap or try to put the valve on, you hit the hot manifold since there is no room....stupid design.
Being she has dual air it took 2 cans to fill it, but I got the temp to blow in the van at 35 degrees....lol took pic when it hit 40 degrees but forgot to take another when it got the coldest... told my wife it might snow this summer in the van...lol
Got a nice blister on my knuckle from hitting the manifold several times in a row....

Attachments

• zena alex 015.jpg
    zena alex 015.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 23
  • zena alex 014.jpg
    zena alex 014.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
My wife 2004 chevy venture van started having issues with the ac not cooling, so I bought the stuff to fill it and lo and beholdm the fill valve is down about midway behind the radiator/fans and close to the exhaust manifold...so, in all, I burned the shit out of my hand trying to get to it. I could reach it but when you grab the cap or try to put the valve on, you hit the hot manifold since there is no room....stupid design.
Being she has dual air it took 2 cans to fill it, but I got the temp to blow in the van at 35 degrees....lol took pic when it hit 40 degrees but forgot to take another when it got the coldest... told my wife it might snow this summer in the van...lol
Got a nice blister on my knuckle from hitting the manifold several times in a row....

Why did you have to do this when it was still hot from being driven? Does that make a difference in getting it in or the right amount in?

I wondered about that.

2004 is a new car? That's a 10 year old car lol. Unless you meant it was a new purchase rather than a new model.

:)

no, he meant 'modern cars' like newer than 2000's, these tend to be weaker constructed, with many cheaply made crap from China hidden there and here......

I feel your pain! Yup, I sure missed old days cars! Body on frame, I love it and its too bad no more cars on frame since 2 years ago I think.

I found out that I need to replace rear hubs every 60K miles otherwise it will fall off on my 2005 car. Cheap skeleton axle? UNREAL! Yea, one of hub got disconnected and was ready to fly while my wife was driving it on toll road! Glad brake system was in place to hold the rotor rather let them fly off. Spindle done damaged, possible inner sleeve got friction welded onto spindle. I predicted that the other side will fall off anytime soon. Sure enough it did, just that I caught it in time so I replace hub with breeze.

Not exactly weaker constructed. it was meant to constructed as whole body as a frame. Like frameless body but has frame built in body. Main reason for that is simply to make EPA people happy. The lighter the vehicle is, the more MPG. Really, I don't see trade off cause it is costing more to keep car in shape than to save pretty penny on fuel :roll:

no, he meant 'modern cars' like newer than 2000's, these tend to be weaker constructed, with many cheaply made crap from China hidden there and here......

I feel your pain! Yup, I sure missed old days cars! Body on frame, I love it and its too bad no more cars on frame since 2 years ago I think.

I found out that I need to replace rear hubs every 60K miles otherwise it will fall off on my 2005 car. Cheap skeleton axle? UNREAL! Yea, one of hub got disconnected and was ready to fly while my wife was driving it on toll road! Glad brake system was in place to hold the rotor rather let them fly off. Spindle done damaged, possible inner sleeve got friction welded onto spindle. I predicted that the other side will fall off anytime soon. Sure enough it did, just that I caught it in time so I replace hub with breeze.

In the past year we have replaced all 4 of our hubs on the van....$200 a pop for part and extra for labor.... last 2 we got done free as the stepdaughter has a friend in college taking auto repair and they work on the cars free, just pay for parts...

Correct, I will take a 50, 60, 70 year car anyday over the new crap. You hit a new car with an old car it will explode like a plastic model and firecracker.

Why did you have to do this when it was still hot from being driven? Does that make a difference in getting it in or the right amount in?

The vehicle has to run to "suck" the 134A into the system, pressurize and cool the vehicle, we have a dual ac unit ( front and rear ) so it uses more freon than a standard car....
Besides I love putting my hand and arm againsts hot manifolds and smell the flesh burn off, and tinge all the hair off my arm.... Makes me cuss like a drunken sailor too!

Thats why body on frame on cars makes it tough when it comes to accident with new cars. Hey, there is no airbags, better use seat belt cause the dashboard is made of steel back then, don't you remember that?

Correct, I will take a 50, 60, 70 year car anyday over the new crap. You hit a new car with an old car it will explode like a plastic model and firecracker.

The vehicle has to run to "suck" the 134A into the system, pressurize and cool the vehicle, we have a dual ac unit ( front and rear ) so it uses more freon than a standard car....
Besides I love putting my hand and arm againsts hot manifolds and smell the flesh burn off, and tinge all the hair off my arm.... Makes me cuss like a drunken sailor too!

How many drunken sailors do you know?

What about drunken deafies?

This retired sailor wants to know! :P

Thats why body on frame on cars makes it tough when it comes to accident with new cars. Hey, there is no airbags, better use seat belt cause the dashboard is made of steel back then, don't you remember that?

Frame bodies are FAR RISK than unibodies for high speed accident.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g]Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary - YouTube[/ame]

:laugh2: sounds like you can't afford the brand new vechiles which why you make up the story about explode and firecracker.

Really? :roll:

My 1960 Baja Bug didnt have seatbelts, never did, werent required either... But I did install 5 point harnessess...

How many drunken sailors do you know?

What about drunken deafies?

This retired sailor wants to know! :P

Well I know of 2, My Grandpa and my cousin, Both are in the Lords hands now. Never heard either cuss but they were great people.

Not on most Europe and Japanese vehicles. You will surprise that you can found parts made in China for Chevy, GMC, Buick, and Dodge. I saw them before.

:laugh2: sounds like you can't afford the brand new vechiles which why you make up the story about explode and firecracker.

Really? :roll:

I bought 2 brand new cars off the showroom floor, both were pieces of shit. I never had an accident but had plenty of idiots hit me. My 2001 Neon was totaled out just because an old man hit the front bumper, only damage was bumper and radiator... totaled... I just paid that bastard off within 2 years ( fully loaded $17K ) and insurance only gave me $5k ass hats !!!
My 2005 Dakota 4x4, had the same accident and cost $4k to fix, then all kinds of electrical shit started... it was only 2 years old as well.
Now, I have owned and built several street rods, smacked a few idiots with them and not a scratch on mine, totaled out the plastic jap shit they drive.
I will never buy another new car again, as we speak, I am fixing the body on my 2000 Silverado and looking to sell to buy an old 4x4 before next winter. Dont get me wrong, I love this truck but my god the sheet metal is so thin I can bend it with my hands.

Biggest issue with ALL new cars, is you cant work on them ( electronically speaking) and old car, I can make it run with one wire. Never needed all the bells and whistles back then.

its a figure of speach, not a made up story you Tard.

I bought 2 brand new cars off the showroom floor, both were pieces of shit. I never had an accident but had plenty of idiots hit me. My 2001 Neon was totaled out just because an old man hit the front bumper, only damage was bumper and radiator... totaled... I just paid that bastard off within 2 years ( fully loaded $17K ) and insurance only gave me $5k ass hats !!!
My 2005 Dakota 4x4, had the same accident and cost $4k to fix, then all kinds of electrical shit started... it was only 2 years old as well.
Now, I have owned and built several street rods, smacked a few idiots with them and not a scratch on mine, totaled out the plastic jap shit they drive.
I will never buy another new car again, as we speak, I am fixing the body on my 2000 Silverado and looking to sell to buy an old 4x4 before next winter. Dont get me wrong, I love this truck but my god the sheet metal is so thin I can bend it with my hands.

Biggest issue with ALL new cars, is you cant work on them ( electronically speaking) and old car, I can make it run with one wire. Never needed all the bells and whistles back then.

its a figure of speach, not a made up story you Tard.

Neon is very junk car. I don't believe why you bought it in first place. I heard too many complained about issue with engine and feels so cheap. Make sense why Dodge stopped made it anymore.

Sorry to heard about your insurance. I think you got bad insurance. It's don't happen to me. I lost my old car ($13k) from the flood and insurance gave me $12k. No complain.

"explode and firecracker" don't made sense to me which why I thought you was made up the story.

Well, No shit, Everyone know that trucks are stronger than cars. Well, sheet metal are so thinner because it keeps light weight to get better fuel efficient since gasoline is so expensive now. You don't have to worry about body as you get good frame body.

So, Let me guess you are not good with electrical diagnostics? It's pretty easy for me on brand new cars as you follow the diagram. Rule of thumb, NEVER fix or play around a wires without the electrical diagram or you will get HEADACHE.

In fact, 80's vehicle are worst design ever I see for electrical system. Like ECM/PCM got failed then you have to take dashboard off or chair off to replace the ECM/PCM. The modern vehicles are much easy and you will find the ECM/PCM right away in the hood.

Back