Hate new cars

It was CARB (California Air Resources Board) started.

Yes, California was first state to regulate on emission before federal stepped in 1970.

Sonocativo, hate tighten emission? go blame on California, not federal.

European cars have strictest emission requirement and you can easily to get 70 MPH with diesel and best accident rating.

Sorry, I support to tighten the emission requirement for cars and go blame on American companies to make their car so creepier.

If my wife want to own Ford Mustang 69's then I can upgrade fuel system (From carburetor to fuel Injection) to get better fuel efficient and less emission. She loves hot rod but she can't stand with smell strong pollution.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35410/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

ahh makes sense with the drive belt. This is the first car I've had longer than five years lol. The last two cars I owned I only had for 5 years each - first one I traded in for the CR-V as I was moving and the Tracker would not have done well cross country I don't think, CR-V I totaled.

Seems these days though it may be cheaper in the long run to go get a new car or a 'new' used car than continuous repairs especially as they accumulate over the years. My friends has never had a 'brand new' car- mostly used (and almost always in good condition) but they know it's going to be a pain because eventually it's going to cost money to maintain. Minor repairs he can do cheaper but that's only a stopgap measure sometimes.

Not looking forward to the day I may have to get a new car (I hate car shopping anyway). Parents also have a Mazda MPV that is over 20 years old- and used quite often.

Right, I can repair everything but I prefer to own a brand new car. Why? I may be very busy with a new job as 5-6 days a week and can't afford to missed or late if something happen with my old car. I ALMOST missed drug screen in two weeks ago when my old Mazda started problem with overheat. It was close call or they thought I avoid from the drug screen and made "excuse" about car problem which sounds not good.

My 01 neon was the best car I ever owned as far as new, it drove great, I drove from St. Louis to Winchester Ky on 1/2 tank each way...excellent mpg, excellent highway handling...ect... it was well made for a mid sized car. I never had an issue with it til the dumb ass step kid of my ex wrecked it cause he was a punk and drove like he was one too... I banned him from all our vehicles after his second accident there. (totaled his moms car too )

I used to drive a Dodge Neon car as my rental car a several times when I visited my friends in Ohio a several years ago. One of my favorite rental cars.

I hated Chevy Aveo.. it was the worst rental car I've ever driven. It was running so choppy when I hit 60 mph. No wonder, it has been discontinued since 2011.

:laugh2::laugh2:

First you complained about electrical as computers and sensors were so HARD for you. Then I explained you and use scan tools to find code as simple. Which it was not hard to do it.

Second, you thought I don't know about porting, valve sizes, canning, crank, etc. CLEAR you don't know me very well.

Hint, I own micrometer measurement, 3/8, 1/2 torque wrench, fuel pressure gauge, compression tester for gasoline,feeler gauge, spark plug test, Fluke 88, etc. Tell me what they use for?

I was overhaul on motors (DOHC, SOHC, OHV) for gasoline, OHV for diesel motor, auto transmission (I HATE IT), manual transmission 5-6 speeds and 15 speeds heavy duty (EATON).

And you forgot I was a Machinist...lol
Micrometer..you can measure to 1000th of an inch, used for figuring clearances for cam/crank journals or thicknesses.

I can feel your pain with auto trans, rather just buy one rebuilt at a shop and trade a core...lol
Torque wrenches are just that, torquing bolts to lb/in, do you have a 1/4" torque wrench for in/lb?

So we are in the same boat on mechanical knowledge, I am refering to wire shorts hidden in the dash, always a pain in the arse and really never found... even had shops that never could find them, even after replacing the wire harnesses. Electrical is simple on older cars, newer cars are more complicated with all the added electronic gadgets like steering wheel controls for radio, ect...heads up display...all the more wiring.

I used to drive a Dodge Neon car as my rental car a several times when I visited my friends in Ohio a several years ago. One of my favorite rental cars.

I hated Chevy Aveo.. it was the worst rental car I've ever driven. It was running so choppy when I hit 60 mph. No wonder, it has been discontinued since 2011.

Just to say, I have owned a 1985, 1987, 1993 and 2001 cavaliers and neons, never had issues with them except a fuel injector on the 85 which was an easy fix. I would love to find another 01 neon if some kids havent tunered it into a pos.

You are awful close mind and another bs story again. You sounds like 60 years old. It's ALL depends on design of body. Like my old 01 Subaru accident to Chevy 90's and and Chevy got totaled (driver send to ER) and my Subaru just replaced the new bumper and radiator. That's it. I am ok and no hurt. It was happen in 2003.

Other day, Mazda's rear bumped to idiot driver's Ford 150's side (Long story) and Mazda got tiny scratched and Ford got BIG dent. It's all DEPEND on DAMN body design. Not just old or new.

Can you explained me why 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air can kill driver and 2009 Chevrolet Malibu don't? Words may lie but video or picture don't lie.

Well call it BS all you want because Im still in this world.
Want to see one of my toys, maybe 2? Tell me whats under the hood of the baja...lol

He's fully grown adult. :D

He graduated from college that specialize and trained in automobiles, semi trucks, motorcycle, also diesel and everything.

I really dont care, He might be up on the electronics and all so what?
No Im not closed minded, Ive owned new cars, just dont like them like I do older cars

HE ONLY LIKE THE NEWER CARS BECAUSE THEY MAKE HIM MONEY... NOW ANYONE DISAGREES?

Reason is, about 99% of the world doesnt have a clue how to work on their own cars, especially newer cars, I got the skills, get a read and fix it unless it requires special tools I dont have.

What happens when a novice changes the brake pads on a NEW car and bleed the brakes? Correct the ABS dash light comes on and has to be reset at a dealership, because of some bullshit with the ABS.
some things I can do, some things I cant, not gonna pull your string and give you a bullshit story, so get off your high horse.
Generally speaking I like older cars, easier and cheaper to work on as well as simplier, not closed minded as I owned newer cars before, just cost too much in repairs.

and some fun stuff to do...

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 10
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 9
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
  • motor4.jpg
    motor4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 8
  • motor5.jpg
    motor5.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 9
  • motor6.jpg
    motor6.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 9
I agree with sonocativo on 2 counts ...

1: older cars without all the electronic crap is easier to work on and don't have all the new modern stuff on it so there's less that can go wrong with it. And the dealers have a monopoly on their own brand with the new cars you HAVE to take it to them to fix it. When me and my brother were still racing all the only electric was gauges, fuel pump and starter.

2: A new car in a crash with an older car the new one will take the most damage. The rescue extrication classes I take sometimes includes what happens to a car when its hit. The new vehicles are made to fold up they have crumple zones in certain areas to absorb the impact of the crash and the strongest part of a new one is a cage around the driver. The older ones are made like a tank.

Volvo is one of the very well known safest cars on the road. Volvo 240's are like a tank but electrical problems is very common for those vehicles.

I know older cars are simple to fix while new, modern cars have the more safety features and the engine longevity improved significantly with regular maintenance as well as fuel economy.

Some people do not have time to work on cars as they have a full time job and family to raise. If people have the money to keep the old school vehicles running in top shape some do hire mechanics to do the repairs for them.

People buy new cars for the better fuel economy. All vehicles have wear and tear when it ages and become a scrap heap. There isn't many old school vehicles out there on the road unfortunately as most people scrap them than sell it.

Volvo is one of the very well known safest cars on the road. Volvo 240's are like a tank but electrical problems is very common for those vehicles.

I know older cars are simple to fix while new, modern cars have the more safety features and the engine longevity improved significantly with regular maintenance as well as fuel economy.

Some people do not have time to work on cars as they have a full time job and family to raise. If people have the money to keep the old school vehicles running in top shape some do hire mechanics to do the repairs for them.

People buy new cars for the better fuel economy. All vehicles have wear and tear when it ages and become a scrap heap. There isn't many old school vehicles out there on the road unfortunately as most people scrap them than sell it.

Newer cars are basically disposables, older cars as long as the frame doesnt rust out ( even if it does you can buy or build a boxed frame) can be rebuilt and modified, even a body swap if worst case. All cars can get a transplant ( motor/trans ) but only the older cars can you put a bigger motor in, gear it...ect.. New cars are limited with certain and yes I said "CERTAIN" mods...because of tighter compartment spaces, you cant just up and throw a big block in them and front wheel drives are very limited compared to old school street rods.
So there are pros and cons of both, mpg/mods/style/ease of maintenance...ect...

Yes, if they have the money to do that. :)

Newer cars are basically disposables, older cars as long as the frame doesnt rust out ( even if it does you can buy or build a boxed frame) can be rebuilt and modified, even a body swap if worst case. All cars can get a transplant ( motor/trans ) but only the older cars can you put a bigger motor in, gear it...ect.. New cars are limited with certain and yes I said "CERTAIN" mods...because of tighter compartment spaces, you cant just up and throw a big block in them and front wheel drives are very limited compared to old school street rods.
So there are pros and cons of both, mpg/mods/style/ease of maintenance...ect...

If my wife want to own Ford Mustang 69's then I can upgrade fuel system (From carburetor to fuel Injection) to get better fuel efficient and less emission. She loves hot rod but she can't stand with smell strong pollution.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35410/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

then again, more wires, more problems, more weight added...lol
I agree, I like the fuel injection and on older cars its worth it for the added mpg and less emmissions. But then again, I like to just tinker with the timing and carb and get that nice loud lope going
Budda da budda da budda da....lol

A couple like I used to have years ago.
1988_chevrolet_camaro_std_coupe-pic-7244.jpeg

88-chevy_Monte-Carlo_GMN-06-AC_01.jpg

We bought a brand new Volvo 740 Turbo in 1989. We wanted the safest car we could afford since we were having kids. First of all the AC was awful and living near Sacramento that was a huge problem. One day I was in a parking lot and the guy in front of me decides to back up to get a parking spot he had passed up. Just a little bump but ended up costing almost $4000 dollars to repair. Other guy paid for it but the car was never the same. Had problems with the radiator etc. We ended up trading the Volvo for a 1996 minivan.

Then in 2004 traded in the minivan for a brand new Kia Amanti. Still have it only has 55,000 miles on it. Biggest repair so far was an electrical issue that cost around $1400. I love my car, feels brand new, drives amazing. I will keep it until it starts needing a lot of repairs.

Hubby has always driving trucks. Had a Ford F150 and traded it in for a new Toyota Tundra. His trucks have all been very reliable and he drives them for many years.

We buy new vehicles with the warranties. Hubby can do minor repairs but other then that they go to the mechanic.

Yikes seems you had some bad lucks with cars you owned. My parents used to have '76 Volvo 245 it had electrical issue and speedometer stopped working (common for those 240's). Also had '82 240 with Turbo, a lot of problems down the road, partly due to neglect -- turbos went out, fuel pumps went out a couple times. Traded for the brand new Ford Explorer.

I bought my Explorer from Ebay and had very little problem, replaced radiator due to leaking from crack. Couple of electrical issues are repaired. Powertrain still doing very well and has almost 200k miles on it most of the life on the hwy.

We bought a brand new Volvo 740 Turbo in 1989. We wanted the safest car we could afford since we were having kids. First of all the AC was awful and living near Sacramento that was a huge problem. One day I was in a parking lot and the guy in front of me decides to back up to get a parking spot he had passed up. Just a little bump but ended up costing almost $4000 dollars to repair. Other guy paid for it but the car was never the same. Had problems with the radiator etc. We ended up trading the Volvo for a 1996 minivan.

Then in 2004 traded in the minivan for a brand new Kia Amanti. Still have it only has 55,000 miles on it. Biggest repair so far was an electrical issue that cost around $1400. I love my car, feels brand new, drives amazing. I will keep it until it starts needing a lot of repairs.

Hubby has always driving trucks. Had a Ford F150 and traded it in for a new Toyota Tundra. His trucks have all been very reliable and he drives them for many years.

We buy new vehicles with the warranties. Hubby can do minor repairs but other then that they go to the mechanic.

Well call it BS all you want because Im still in this world.
Want to see one of my toys, maybe 2? Tell me whats under the hood of the baja...lol

Your pictures are useless. WHERE IS CRASH pictures?! I thought you talked about old vs new for crash. Another BS story again.

Again, Can explained me why 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air can kill driver and 2009 Chevrolet Malibu don't? but you igonred it because you won't admit it that newer is more safety than older.

I really dont care, He might be up on the electronics and all so what?
No Im not closed minded, Ive owned new cars, just dont like them like I do older cars

HE ONLY LIKE THE NEWER CARS BECAUSE THEY MAKE HIM MONEY... NOW ANYONE DISAGREES?

Reason is, about 99% of the world doesnt have a clue how to work on their own cars, especially newer cars, I got the skills, get a read and fix it unless it requires special tools I dont have.

What happens when a novice changes the brake pads on a NEW car and bleed the brakes? Correct the ABS dash light comes on and has to be reset at a dealership, because of some bullshit with the ABS.
some things I can do, some things I cant, not gonna pull your string and give you a bullshit story, so get off your high horse.
Generally speaking I like older cars, easier and cheaper to work on as well as simplier, not closed minded as I owned newer cars before, just cost too much in repairs.

You don't make sense to me. I never said I like newer only. In fact, I own 1981 motorcycle and don't mean I like newer only. I come here to correct your story about new vs old for crash safety and I sicked of your bitch about emission, wires, computers, blah blah

Why you bitched about newer have cost too much for repair? That's what warranty for. The warranty or recall don't cost you anything.

then again, more wires, more problems, more weight added...lol
I agree, I like the fuel injection and on older cars its worth it for the added mpg and less emmissions. But then again, I like to just tinker with the timing and carb and get that nice loud lope going
Budda da budda da budda da....lol

Again, You still whine over the wires and don't care about pollution health risk. You have no clue that many people can't stand with pollution due asthmas, headache, nausea, nervous system damage, cancer, etc. That's all you care about sounds. Wow. Just wow. Careless health risk.

Add weights were around 30 LBS and not big deal. If Carb only then no more than 15 MPG. If fuel injection then probably 25 MPG or more depend on the weight of engine and body. Save money and less waste for the gasoline.

Again, It's ALL depends on the design. Like Windows got awful glitch, virus, BSOD, etc and that's mean computer suck? Nope. It's OS as itself If you put the Linux or OSX on it then MUCH LESS problem than crap Windows.

Back