Hate me?

Yadriel

Reaction score
I'm hearing but I am losing the ability to hear correctly. The other day I was talking to a deaf girl and I mentioned that I would prefer to be fully deaf then to have to struggle all the time to understand the conversation I am in.

She got so mad at me saying that it's stupid. That I am hearing and should appreciate it.

I understand that I honestly do.. But so many other things in my life are hitting at me besides my hearing that would be easier to be deaf.

I know there isn't a total way to make yourself deaf but I was just telling her that I'd rather be.. An opinion.

So was it her that acts like this or do all deaf people agree with her. That it was stupid to say?..

I'm hearing but I am losing the ability to hear correctly. The other day I was talking to a deaf girl and I mentioned that I would prefer to be fully deaf then to have to struggle all the time to understand the conversation I am in.

She got so mad at me saying that it's stupid. That I am hearing and should appreciate it.

I understand that I honestly do.. But so many other things in my life are hitting at me besides my hearing that would be easier to be deaf.

I know there isn't a total way to make yourself deaf but I was just telling her that I'd rather be.. An opinion.

So was it her that acts like this or do all deaf people agree with her. That it was stupid to say?..
Most people would agree. Plus I see that you are SAB fan.
The novelty would wear off.

I don't think you should worry what other people think b/c you'll be getting all kind of opinions on this and the only thing that really matter is how you feel about your hearing .
It's not place to say if this was a stupid thing to or not b/c I have no idea what is going in your life to made you feel this way. I hope things will get easier for you.

Have you actually considered all the implications of being deaf? The fact that instead of struggling some to understand speech, you would understand none. You would struggle to communicate with people in a store, having to write back and forth. You couldn't use the phone to make an appointment. You couldn't hear safety sirens or alarms. Heaven forbid you run into a police officer and "fail to obey orders" and end up shot over it.

I don't think you should worry what other people think b/c you'll be getting all kind of opinions on this and the only thing that really matter is how you feel about your hearing .
It's not place to say if this was a stupid thing to or not b/c I have no idea what is going in your life to made you feel th

Have you actually considered all the implications of being deaf? The fact that instead of struggling some to understand speech, you would understand none. You would struggle to communicate with people in a store, having to write back and forth. You couldn't use the phone to make an appointment. You couldn't hear safety sirens or alarms. Heaven forbid you run into a police officer and "fail to obey orders" and end up shot over it.

I know I wouldn't get any of it, and I don't go out much anyways so when I do go somewhere if it's urgent yes I'd be okay with writing things down. I don't worry about salons or the market or even bowling since we have deaf friendly ones here. At the bowling alley I go to they all know ASL since there is a deaf leave there.

At my salon there is also a worker who made it mandatory for them to know asl. As well as the market near me.

The police thing I do understand. I read a article of a deaf man being shot. But in my mind I would stay in the car hands on wheel, if the police asks something I would have something stating that 'I Am Deaf' I would point to where it at so the officer would now I'm getting something and show it to them.

Even though you didn't mention music I know that I won't hear it, but I can feel it.

Plus as I said, when I said it I didn't mean that I was going to be deaf or try to be deaf. I was saying an opinion. Its not like I say I want to be and I magically become deaf. I have thought being deaf through in the past. But again it's not like i am gonna force myself to be deaf.

Just because the deaf girl got upset with you doesn't mean that she "hates" you.

How old are you?

Just because the deaf girl got upset with you doesn't mean that she "hates" you.

How old are you?

Well I know that it doesn't mean she hates me but on the moment it felt that way. My anxiety was acting up when this happened and yes I felt like she did hate me. In my mind it seemed as if she had a reason to hate me.

Deafness isn't a special club you join. Lots of people pay thousands of dollars to avoid it. The password for hearing people that say they are willing join in deafness is a peace sign held up to their forehead. Here is Dr Vicars to demonstrate:

stupid33.jpg

I am not seeing what you posted .

It must of glitched.

I said thanks for understanding for the most part. I try not to let what others say affect me but it's more of a habit to let it affect me for personal reasons. But thanks for understanding!

I don't think your communication problems will go away by being fully deaf. I am curious, do you wear hearing aids?

Have you thought about how harder it is if you were fully deaf to communicate? Not a lot of people at stores and restaurants don't sign. Having to write everything down or having an app get tedious. Also making phone calls becomes a bitch and a half. Being in a relationship is a little hard and thinking about how people would react if they found out you made your self deaf so life is easier.
I know your not saying you are running out and hurting yourself but find some ear plug and take a day or two to walk around and see how people treat you. It might seem better on the outside but the grass is always greener on the other side.
Best of luck.

Even if you could fully replicate deafness, that's not the same as growing up deaf. Late deafened is not the same as being born deaf.

Even if you could fully replicate deafness, that's not the same as growing up deaf. Late deafened is not the same as being born deaf.
This is super true. Being hearing once does make it a little easier in the hearing world and I believe a little harder in the deaf world.

Back