Has anyone used the CapTel Relay Service

I have a couple of solutions.

1) The service requires that the CapTel user has a domestic telephone number. This would keep international callers at bay, but it would not allow a CapTel user in another country to call into the US, very easily. IMHO, this is the best solution, since CapTel users cannot currently take their CapTels outside the US anyway. VRS with VCO currently works this way.

2) The service requires you to enter the serial number on your CapTel. This would only allow people with certified hearing loss or people who have paid the hefty price for a CapTel. This would keep international callers at bay, as hey cannot obtain such equipment.

3) Allow only US IP addresses to connect. Block proxies, including Tor, as the issue arises.

Cite Your CapTel Sources

Because theyre run by the wrong people. Theyre run by people who are biased toward ASL. Theyre predisposing the Captel program to failure.
Richard, who are these people you claim to be "the wrong people"? If you're going to make these statements, then you need to cite your sources. If these people are biased toward ASL, then how come the CapTel introduction and getting started videos are not signed? I was somewhat surprized that the videos were not signed, but then I realized that CapTel is for people who are hard-of-hearing, oral deaf and latened deafened. If they posessed Sign Language skills, then the would use VRS, because VRS with VCO gives you residual speech, language and expression. CapTel cannot provide expression. Also, CapTel is the only relay service the FCC exempts from operators being required to know ASL. You cannot have typewritten ASL captions on CapTel.
Web based VCO's are better.
Do any web–based VCO allow text at the same speed CapTel does? No, none do. Do any web–based VCO allow you to use one line for VCO? No, they all require two lines. Have you so far provided any evidence whatsoever that web–based VCO is better than CapTel? No, so far you provided none whatsoever.
3) Allow only US IP addresses to connect. Block proxies, including Tor, as the issue arises.
Allowing only US IP addresses would not solve the problem, as you can use an IP anonymizer. Also, there should be no proxy block, because many American companies use proxies.

Allowing only US IP addresses would not solve the problem, as you can use an IP anonymizer. Also, there should be no proxy block, because many American companies use proxies.

Sorry, I meant block problem proxies/IPs as they come up. That takes care of the anonymizer issue. There really is no way to block NATs, though, which I think is what you mean when you say "Many American companies use proxies", and that's fine.

IP Blocking

Sorry, I meant block problem proxies/IPs as they come up. That takes care of the anonymizer issue. There really is no way to block NATs, though, which I think is what you mean when you say "Many American companies use proxies", and that's fine.
That doesn't solve the problem, though, and I wasn't talking about NAT. Some companies use a proxies that masks a true IP address, and IP anonymizers forge the IP, so IP blocking wouldn't really help.

As a Vonage account holder at home, I recently requested Ultratec to consider my request to be a beta tester of the IP-based Captel telephone, and hope to be invited to do so. It is exciting to explore new technologies.

In the meantime, thanks to Taric25's suggestion, I am thinking of requesting a two-line CapTel for work usage in parallel with my ISDN-based VRS polycom system. What a setup that'll be!

-navyman

Back