Has anyone read this new study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those with CI's will eventually sign, believe me.
According to the long-term research, they don't. Less than 10% AVT graduates used sign for their daily communication after 25 years.

I'm curious...

for the study going on and on that those who mostly or partially use sign language they score lower...

Then why is it that sign is being promoted and applauded for use with hearing babies as a way to communicate before they start speaking? I believe I've heard of studies where it's found that babies who utilized or learned sign along with picking up auditory cues (whether it's 'baby signs' or actual ASL did better in verbal scores etc than those hearing babies who didn't.

What a conundrum..

Do you have 50 studies that show a positive effect of ASL? I would love to see them. I have never seen a study (before now) that compared signer and non-signers.
Really? Why are you here? A hearing person who knows nothing about being deaf. Don't say you've been around the deaf. If you haven't experienced being deaf outright, then shut it. You don't know what we feel/experience. You're just here to troll. You're becoming offensive to us.

Last edited:
Really? Why are you here? A hearing person who knows nothing about being deaf. Don't say you've been around the deaf. If you haven't experienced being deaf outright, then shut it. You don't know what we feel/experience. You're just here to troll. You're becoming offensive to us.
Hear, hear.
Whoops, what an AWFUL thing to say. ;)

I asked her at the very beginning of this thread why she posted on a D/deaf forum. I agree she's trolling. She claims to be a TOD - must teach in an oral only school. Feel sorry for those kids.

I'm curious...

for the study going on and on that those who mostly or partially use sign language they score lower...

Then why is it that sign is being promoted and applauded for use with hearing babies as a way to communicate before they start speaking? I believe I've heard of studies where it's found that babies who utilized or learned sign along with picking up auditory cues (whether it's 'baby signs' or actual ASL did better in verbal scores etc than those hearing babies who didn't.

What a conundrum..
That actually isn't true. The literature reviews of the data show that signing with hearing babies had no long term effect, or some actually showed a negative effect.
https://nau.edu/CHHS/CSD/CSL-Lab/_Forms/Sosa_Stoel-Gammon_Baby-Sign/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121004093155.htm

I asked a question. I am around deaf children every day. I am a teacher of the deaf. I work in a preschool right now, but I have been with pre-teens and have worked as an itinerant as well.

I asked a question. I am around deaf children every day. I am a teacher of the deaf. I work in a preschool right now, but I have been with pre-teens and have worked as an itinerant as well.
A question to whom? I answered, didn't I?

A question to whom? I answered, didn't I?
A bunch of us did. And she still thinks she knows better than those who are actually deaf. Roll My Eyes. She reminds me of Faire Joure who got banned.

A bunch of us did. And she still thinks she knows better than those who are actually deaf. Roll My Eyes. She reminds me of Faire Joure who got banned.
You know, I think you're right. Didn't FJ also come here to pretend to be an bilateral implantee from a Deaf family?

According to the long-term research, they don't. Less than 10% AVT graduates used sign for their daily communication after 25 years.
Is that from that generation of AVT graduates from before CIs? That was most likely a very small sample AND was based on a survey.....What about all the kids who never followed up on responding to the survey? All that represents is the kids who responded to a particular survery. Also AVT tends to give kids complexes about Signing or other specialized things. I know a girl who was raised with AVT. Always been in hearing classes no exposure to ASL or deaf stuff.....She is 17, but is repeating her sophomore year and has no friends. Unfortunaty b/c of the "ASL is lesser" mentality that she picked up from AVT,(ie the myth that ASL isn't as good as spoken English or that only low educated people Sign) she is VERY resistant to ASL, deaf camp or deaf school. AVT really does push that myth.......and that is very offensive. There are loads of Sign users who are professors, lawyers etc...

Beowulf, did you graduate from Auditory Verbal Therapy as a young child?
Which kind? The kind where the parent delibratly sits on their child to get them to wear a CI? The kind that expects parents to serve as speech therapists that have to cram speech therapy oppertunties into every single waking hour, and where the parents have a dedicated AVT room? The type that delibratly prevents children from speechreading even thou speechreading is how hearing babies learn language? http://abcnews.go.com/Health/infants-lip-read-learn-speech/story?id=15371023 The type that is utterly fixtated with making sure that a dhh kid is as " normal" as possible, and that looks down on things like closed captioned, speechreading, cued speech, ORAL deaf schools, or camps, ASL etc etc etc?

Those with CI's will eventually sign, believe me.
Yes. Even audilogicaly HOH kids will pick up Sign as a second langauge, both for the social- emotional benefits of belonging to a rich positive group, that is a lot more fun then a Hearing Healthcare 101 approach, and b/c visual processing is a STRENGTH for dhh kids. Remember the HARD in the hard of hearing. It's still hard for us to hear, even if we are good users of HA or CI. We could do EVEN better with the ADDITION of things, like deaf ed, ASL etc etc. There's many different pieces to the puzzle after all.

I'm curious...

What a conundrum..
One thing you're missing here is the babies that can hear and are also doing sign, can also hear, so they are also picking up the vocal clues as well. Sign seems to be a bonus for those babies that can hear and a detriment for those who can't and have received a CI and are learning to hear and understand speech. At least with this study that seems to be the finding. I wonder if a new study were to come out using 10,000 or even 100,000 children implanted by the age of three and the results were the same if people would still be saying the sample was too small?

Last edited:
Which kind? The kind where the parent delibratly sits on their child to get them to wear a CI? The kind that expects parents to serve as speech therapists that have to cram speech therapy oppertunties into every single waking hour, and where the parents have a dedicated AVT room? The type that delibratly prevents children from speechreading even thou speechreading is how hearing babies learn language? http://abcnews.go.com/Health/infants-lip-read-learn-speech/story?id=15371023 The type that is utterly fixtated with making sure that a dhh kid is as " normal" as possible, and that looks down on things like closed captioned, speechreading, cued speech, ORAL deaf schools, or camps, ASL etc etc etc?
There is only one kind of Auditory Verbal Therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back