Has anyone read this new study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um this article which says that hearing babies learn spoken language by lipreading? AVT severely discourages lipreading believing that the most important aspect of learning spoken language is sound. But since hearing babies learn spoken language by lipreading, that pretty much disproves the theory of AVT. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/infants-lip-read-learn-speech/story?id=15371023 https://www.speechbuddy.com/blog/la...ps-how-babies-learn-to-speak-by-watching-you/ It's not just about sound....if it was, then you wouldn't have a career. You'd be an AVT.
The only time that AVT discourages lipreading is during auditory only tasks. That is a minority of the time. When language, vocabulary or articulation is being worked on, lipreading is neither encouraged or discouraged. Often AV kids develop excellent lipreading skills during natural interactions.

Um no. That's a myth. My TOD friends say they see situtions like very oral kids not having the best spoken language, and kids who Sign having a flair for speech. That's like saying that someone who is weak in math skills will "catch up" by ignoring their strengh in English, and only concentrating on their math skill defiects.
Which teachers? Where do they work? With what age children? When were the students implanted? What is the modality of the early intervention services the students get? What is the modality of the school they work in?

Which teachers? Where do they work? With what age children? When were the students implanted? What is the modality of the early intervention services the students get? What is the modality of the school they work in?
Why don't you find that out for yourself? Might be good to put an effort in.

I suspect your experience is as limited & biased as DD's.
I have worked in a large suburban school district as an itinerant teacher of the deaf (with students with every degree of hearing loss from 2nd grade through 11th), in an inner-city self-contained preschool program with students of all language modalities, in a birth to three setting with families with children with multiple disabilities, in a listening and spoken language program with late elementary to early middle school students, and now in a private listening and spoken language program with preschoolers.

I have worked in a large suburban school district as an itinerant teacher of the deaf (with students with every degree of hearing loss from 2nd grade through 11th), in an inner-city self-contained preschool program with students of all language modalities, in a birth to three setting with families with children with multiple disabilities, in a listening and spoken language program with late elementary to early middle school students, and now in a private listening and spoken language program with preschoolers.
And how much experience do you have with signing students? Especially ASL students?

And how much experience do you have with signing students? Especially ASL students?
I have students whose primary language (at home and school) have been ASL including in the mainstream (with interpreters) and in the self-contained classes I have taught. They are, by far, a minority. I would guess, in the mainstream, one out of every 8-10 students uses an interpreter but in a self-contained class it is closer to one in three or four.

Why don't you find that out for yourself? Might be good to put an effort in.

AlleyCat
How do you expect TOD to find those same teachers without being told who they are?

AlleyCat
How do you expect TOD to find those same teachers without being told who they are?
Call any school district. I had an IEP during my years. I'm certain one phone call could have identified the teachers.

(I edited this post a bit. To take me out of being assigned to me.)

Last edited:
AlleyCat
You keep asking questions and making comments on stuff you have admitted you know nothing about. And you've said you are 70. Why try to contribute to this at this point?

Call any school district. I had an IEP during my years. I'm certain one phone call could have identified which teacher was assigned to me.
School districts can't disclose that information.

School districts can't disclose that information.
They can disclose what teachers work for that district. Maybe they can't disclose who is assigned to me, but you can call any school district and get names of all the teachers. Sigh.

Done with this thread. This is like beating a dead horse to a pulp. All it takes is doing a some research, which apparently nobody here is doing, and there's an ongoing argument here. Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
They can disclose what teachers work for that district. Maybe they can't disclose who is assigned to me, but you can call any school district and get names of all the teachers. Sigh.
Say what your mean, mean what you say. We have one deaf school for the entire county, so any child who is deaf or HOH will most likely be going to that school. So my guess is the teachers the child will get will be limited to those hired to teach at the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back