Has anyone read about the Esteem the new invisible implant?

It doesn't seem like this is for someone with profound hearing loss. And I think the other comments are correct, the person in the video only has moderate loss. It might be a good solution for someone with that type of loss. Obviously, they picked the best candidate to present the product they are trying to sell.

If I could get good hearing without the visibility of an implant, I would do it.

However, I'm really hoping for a hair cell regeneration solution. If they find I cure, I would at least have one ear back to normal.

The Esteem is not new it just isn't popular so they must be upping their marketing

NBC Today is interviewing that woman, in fact, it's on tv right now and I'm just waiting for the interview to come up.

How was it?

It was okay. She had a slight Texan accent. They mainly showed her reaction to her hearing herself. She first thought she wouldn't like the sound of her voice. The medical reporter said that the woman with the implant was only at a particular level whatever that meant. Probably meant her speech/hearing would get better.. I dunno.

I sent them this e-mail through their "contact us" text box on their web site.

I do like to have information about these sort of things, usually more than hearing product companies like to release.

I'll let you know if I get a comment back.

--

"It would be great if you could add additional information to your web site that would cover these topics:

1) How does your product deal with noise?

A healthy ear has an unimpeded two-way communication system between the brain and ear and a person can choose what to listen to unconsciously -- much as we don't really pay attention to how we move, remember facts or digest our food.

A digital hearing aid can use algorithms to decide how to process the sound picked up by a microphone. It doesn't work nearly as well as the normal hearing system (ear and brain) -- but there is a system in place.

2) What are the risks to having mechanical devices attached to the ossicular chain? I understand that because of the proximity to the nerve there is risk of facial nerve paralysis and lost of the taste sense. Are there additional risks? This may sound silly, but I can't help but wonder if there is risk of the ossicular chain "wearing out" because of the direct mechanical manipulation over the years. Or perhaps another side effect that I'm not aware of.

3) Personally, I see only two advantages of your product over the traditional hearing aid:

a) Ability to hear better while swimming or boating

b) Not having to deal with sound distortions introduced by physical limitations of a microphone or receiver (called the speaker in most other technologies).

Other advantages mentioned in videos on your web site by customers such as hearing children while asleep can easily be handled with assistive listening devices or a service dog. Bicycle safety can be handled with rear view mirrors intended to be worn on the helmut. Its well known that deaf drivers have a better safety record than non-deaf drivers so I don't think your marketing dept is doing the company any favors trying to present deafness as a safety risk. That assertion, quite frankly, just puts your company's credibility at risk.

Some of the disadvantages of using your product are serious:
a) Risks from surgery (facial paralysis, loss of taste, risks from general anesthesia)

b) No longer candidate for MRI.

c) No contact sports

d) For some people -- no scuba diving

I would think that your product would have to be able to offer far superior hearing than that provided by traditional digital hearing aids in order to compensate for the disadvantages and make it a reasonable choice.

I haven't seen any claims to that effect yet. If your product accomplishes that, I think it would be great to provide a link to the studies on your web site.

Best regards,"

and p.s this live coverage of th Mersherk trial and that trial of the seattle girl in italy has taken over the show - I don't think I'm going to get to see the interview...argh.

Back