Has anybody liked their CIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that mine are facilitating my ability to go back to school and get a good career. I will have to use them all the time at work after I graduate and get a job, BUT I hate them otherwise and only use them when I have to when stuck in a hearing work/school world. I will be taking them off at every one of my breaks, lunch and as soon as my shifts end. YES I have interpreters at school so I don't need CI very often, but sometimes it helps with difficult classes and lots of technical vocabulary and such.

Everything I have read says that the more you wear them the more you will be able to understand with them on. Isn't taking them off so much cutting down on how much help they can be to understand speech without other aids?

Everything I have read says that the more you wear them the more you will be able to understand with them on. Isn't taking them off so much cutting down on how much help they can be to understand speech without other aids?

That is assuming he just got them in the last few years. I know of at least one person-- back about 15-20 years ago(!) who was implanted I think when she was younger; knew ASL and cued speech. Last I heard she dumped the CI (she was born deaf).

The idea of "The more you wear them the more you will be able to understand with them on" is an old line from hearing aids. It does not always hold true. For some the more they wore them the more frustrated they got because there was no improvement. Sounds like the case with SouthPaw to me.

I've had CI for 12 years and bilateral for 9 years. Was in a bilateral research study for several years at Cochlear America's Denver HQ. have had over 250 different maps, though many of those were for a week or two between research appointments. I had a progressive loss and became profoundly Deaf as an adult. So I know it's my personal experience, but that is what the question asked. Please do not tell me I need t wear them more and it will get better. I can probably get at or near 100% understanding in a quiet environment with 1 on 1 conversation especially with people I know. (my mother in law is the exception) but beyond that they just do not live up to the hype and claims of all the fanboys/fangirls. Sorry to burst your bubble. Not looking to argue, just sharing personal experience (PS. absolutely useless for music)

You are correct, despite dissenting opinion on the thread. There is a difference between personal preferences / wearing habits and what professionals find to actually be beneficial. Music is one of those things that benefits from persistent wearing and rehab

honestly im tired of clumsy conversations with others, no wonder i have no friends or a girlfriend, never had one and never will

Are you sure that it is your CI/hearing loss that is causing your social issues and not your nonstop negativity and complaining?

Yes.

Also, I couldn't even find a job outside of milk department in retail store where i used to work there for 10 years, physical labor is all im good for

I even tell teachers that I wish I could hear like them in my school

I've had CI for 12 years and bilateral for 9 years. Was in a bilateral research study for several years at Cochlear America's Denver HQ. have had over 250 different maps, though many of those were for a week or two between research appointments. I had a progressive loss and became profoundly Deaf as an adult. So I know it's my personal experience, but that is what the question asked. Please do not tell me I need t wear them more and it will get better. I can probably get at or near 100% understanding in a quiet environment with 1 on 1 conversation especially with people I know. (my mother in law is the exception) but beyond that they just do not live up to the hype and claims of all the fanboys/fangirls. Sorry to burst your bubble. Not looking to argue, just sharing personal experience (PS. absolutely useless for music)
And you have a progressive loss! Agreed, that's what I have been saying...they do help a lot, but they are not perfect. Nice to hear a confirmation!!!!

I even tell teachers that I wish I could hear like them in my school
You know, if hearing was the guarenteed key to success, then all hearing people would be incredibily succesful and well off and popular. Hearing isn't some guarenteed key to The Awesome Life.

Yes.

Also, I couldn't even find a job outside of milk department in retail store where i used to work there for 10 years, physical labor is all im good for
Have you thought about contacting your province's Deaf School and asking if they might have any ideas for leads for dhh specific vocational training?

Have you thought about contacting your province's Deaf School and asking if they might have any ideas for leads for dhh specific vocational training?

well due to your advice i just emailed dhh organization about jobs, so idk probably hopeless question

Yes.

Really? Because I know CI users who teach or travel the world or are doctors, dentists and lawyers.

Really? Because I know CI users who teach or travel the world or are doctors, dentists and lawyers.
Yes, Dawn. That is what we have been trying to tell you. Yes, there are some superstars, but those superstars tend to be superstars even compared to HEARING kids. That doesn't mean that they reflect the average kid/average user of a CI. You do realize that the "mainstream"/ hearing world has "edges" and just b/c a dhh kid is pushed into the mainstream, it doesn't mean that they are automaticly going to be a superstar. The real world isn't some glorious utopia where everyone is well educated, and has a high paying job. It's a lot more complex.

and I know Deaf people who have no speech skills who teach, travel the world, are dentists, Lawyers, and engineers. I dont personally know a deaf doctor.

And my understanding is that femme Fatale who's postings you may have read is a CPA.

Yes, Dawn. That is what we have been trying to tell you. Yes, there are some superstars, but those superstars tend to be superstars even compared to HEARING kids. That doesn't mean that they reflect the average kid/average user of a CI. You do realize that the "mainstream"/ hearing world has "edges" and just b/c a dhh kid is pushed into the mainstream, it doesn't mean that they are automaticly going to be a superstar. The real world isn't some glorious utopia where everyone is well educated, and has a high paying job. It's a lot more complex.
It isn't about "superstars", it is about the average and what is possible. This individual is unsuccessful, not because of his hearing or his CI but because of his attitude.

It isn't about "superstars", it is about the average and what is possible. This individual is unsuccessful, not because of his hearing or his CI but because of his attitude.
and I know Deaf people who have no speech skills who teach, travel the world, are dentists, Lawyers, and engineers. I dont personally know a deaf doctor.
I know Deaf adults who are successful as well. As you can see, this person is not struggling because of his CI or his deafness, but his constant complaining and refusal to make his life better.

I am not refusing to make my life better, I for one going to school -- is that not enough? Not satisfactory?? My attitude is fine, why do you think it's a problem??

I am not refusing to make my life better, I for one going to school -- is that not enough? Not satisfactory?? My attitude is fine, why do you think it's a problem??
It seems to be an attitude that you have to have someone special in your life to be happy. Having someone special in one's life is certainly nice, if not great, but its not a necessity to have one to enjoy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back