Has anybody liked their CIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some deaf children don't relies on hearing (assistive device) to be successful in oral programs, also some of them are expert in lip reading.

but it didn't work out for me.
I don't know any listening and spoken language program that would accept a child who doesn't wear devices today.

It's a very dependent on the kid sitution. There were some kids who got low level speech comprehension with aids.....and there have always been kids with deaf losses who actually are functionally HOH with just aids...and yeah, most kids are screened out if they on't respond well to an oral approach, at least in areas with formal oral programs/schools. They do fall thruough the cracks however in a multitude of ways,

Do they fall in cracks in the schools for the Deaf?

Fuzzy

Fuzzy
Of course not! Deaf schools are the right answer for everything. They are perfect for all students and have absolutely no cons! Little kids get HOH type interventions (in schools without AVTs or even audiologists) older students get to live in the dorms (which is not at all inappropriate and does not lead to huge numbers of children being sexually abused by adults and other students) and kids will learn ASL and it will solve all their social problems.

Just ask deafdyke, she will tell you all about it (in-spite of the fact that she never attended one or worked in one).

I don't know any listening and spoken language program that would accept a child who doesn't wear devices today.

Some do with exception, not oral school.

Some people have no benefit with HA or CI, or not candidate for both of them. Some people said it is fine without one so depends on brain.

Of course not! Deaf schools are the right answer for everything. They are perfect for all students and have absolutely no cons! Little kids get HOH type interventions (in schools without AVTs or even audiologists) older students get to live in the dorms (which is not at all inappropriate and does not lead to huge numbers of children being sexually abused by adults and other students) and kids will learn ASL and it will solve all their social problems.

Just ask deafdyke, she will tell you all about it (in-spite of the fact that she never attended one or worked in one).

No, public schools where language and communication is not fully accessible is perfect for deaf and hoh children.

No, public schools where language and communication is not fully accessible is perfect for deaf and hoh children.
I never claimed that. I think that there should be a variety of placement options for students and that the right choice is different for each one.

Do we have a sarcastic emoji? I think I'm reading some sarcasm here but not sure. ;)

I agree and think that if we don't have one we need one that really makes that clear!

I was in the middle of something and just glanced at Shel's post and then Teacherofthedeaf/s. Even after reading just Shel's I thought it was sarcasm in reply to Teacherofthedeaf's that referred to deafdyke in what i took to be a sarcastic way.
See posts 87 and 90 for what I am referring to — sorry I forgot to collect quotes before writing.

Even though I know MANY MANY people who work at schools for the Deaf, and who ALSO have 30 plus years of experience in the Deaf community? At least I'm not a fraud like you "Dawn". I have friends in your area. They are very familiar with the deaf community in St Louis, and NONE of them have ever heard of you. So why don't you just stop gaslighting people, and just admit that you are a former poster?

Fuzzy
Sometimes they do. It depends a lot on circumstances. Deaf Schools are just like schools in general. There are PUBLIC schools where kids are socially promoted and or fall through the cracks. But the myth is that deaf schools are "warehouses" where kids get worksheets to color and are socially promoted, and or are given a very minimal education, like they may have in the 1930's/40's etc. The biggest problem with Deaf Schools today is that the bulk of their students tend to have been transfers from the mainstream. Very few actually start out in Deaf ed. As a matter of fact, the early childhood programming in Deaf Ed tends to be very good, if they have on par curriculum and well trained teachers. It's unfortunatly not actively promoted as a choice. As a matter of fact, a former poster here had a HOH girl who also had additional learning issues. They were within easy commutting distance to Missouri School for the Deaf. My friend would have GLADLY placed her there. But they weren't told about it as an option. Another one of my friends who just recently moved to MA for TLC, was visiting schools up and down the East Coast. Guess what she told me? She said that she was told that the average age of a transfer was twelve, and they were usually the kids who hadn't been exposed to ASL and or given a lot of Deaf specific intervention. There are good Deaf Schools for which people actually MOVE for, and then there are bad Deaf Schools that aren't exactly the best in the world. My point being is that the Deaf School/program really is underutlized as an option. It CAN be really good, and often there are a lot of cases where the potential is good.....heck, there are stories of kids going to Gallaudet on a full ride honors scholarship, going to a State College, from Deaf Schools that aren't considered exactly the best. (Montana School for the Deaf and Blind, and West Virgina School for the Deaf and the Blind) I'm just saying that despite certain people and certain organizations which act like it's still SO innovative for a child to attend a public school, Deaf Schools CAN be a good option/piece of the puzzle. (ie attending for preschool -grade 3 to create a foundation for mainstreaming, an enrichement semester or year, attending for middle/high school for social emotional development and so on) It depends on the circumstances.......

Even though I know MANY MANY people who work at schools for the Deaf, and who ALSO have 30 plus years of experience in the Deaf community? At least I'm not a fraud like you "Dawn". I have friends in your area. They are very familiar with the deaf community in St Louis, and NONE of them have ever heard of you. So why don't you just stop gaslighting people, and just admit that you are a former poster?
Oh forgot to add Teacher of the Deaf, When I promote Deaf Schools, I ALSO include the option of *GASP* ORAL SCHOOLS. I am not just speaking of the oral preschools, but the actual graded schools. Most kids can benefit from a comprehensive approach to education, and the overwhelming majority of Deaf Schools do offer pretty comprehenseive services. That way they attract more students. However there are some kids who for whatever reason may require an oral graded or even middle and high school approach.

Omg, DD. You cannot keep doing this. You accuse other people of being a fraud, yet here you are. I don't know if TOD is a former poster, nor do I care, but your hypocrisy and so-called knowledge of every teacher, deaf student, and deaf schools is unbelievable. You "left" after your 15k posts, maybe you should hold up to that. Think about it. Too many have called you out over it.

It isn't necessary to be rude to others, just saying.

Just curious, did you help parents with deaf children to make decision about CI and school?

Sometimes they do. It depends a lot on circumstances. Deaf Schools are just like schools in general. There are PUBLIC schools where kids are socially promoted and or fall through the cracks. But the myth is that deaf schools are "warehouses" where kids get worksheets to color and are socially promoted, and or are given a very minimal education, like they may have in the 1930's/40's etc. The biggest problem with Deaf Schools today is that the bulk of their students tend to have been transfers from the mainstream. Very few actually start out in Deaf ed. As a matter of fact, the early childhood programming in Deaf Ed tends to be very good, if they have on par curriculum and well trained teachers. It's unfortunatly not actively promoted as a choice. As a matter of fact, a former poster here had a HOH girl who also had additional learning issues. They were within easy commutting distance to Missouri School for the Deaf. My friend would have GLADLY placed her there. But they weren't told about it as an option. Another one of my friends who just recently moved to MA for TLC, was visiting schools up and down the East Coast. Guess what she told me? She said that she was told that the average age of a transfer was twelve, and they were usually the kids who hadn't been exposed to ASL and or given a lot of Deaf specific intervention. There are good Deaf Schools for which people actually MOVE for, and then there are bad Deaf Schools that aren't exactly the best in the world. My point being is that the Deaf School/program really is underutlized as an option. It CAN be really good, and often there are a lot of cases where the potential is good.....heck, there are stories of kids going to Gallaudet on a full ride honors scholarship, going to a State College, from Deaf Schools that aren't considered exactly the best. (Montana School for the Deaf and Blind, and West Virgina School for the Deaf and the Blind) I'm just saying that despite certain people and certain organizations which act like it's still SO innovative for a child to attend a public school, Deaf Schools CAN be a good option/piece of the puzzle. (ie attending for preschool -grade 3 to create a foundation for mainstreaming, an enrichement semester or year, attending for middle/high school for social emotional development and so on) It depends on the circumstances.......

That's correct, most urban and rural public schools are bad, but it is often great in affluent suburbs since poor to middle class suburbs are probably little to no better than city schools.

In the past, most deaf schools, including deaf school in our state were bad, but not anymore after they improved a lot. When I joined the deaf school for first year and it wasn't good, but it went improved quickly after new principal pushed all of us to take more advanced, difficult classes. I believe that preschool at deaf school usually get kids who aren't candidate for CI/HA and deaf families, but kids with CI didn't attend until later in childhood, especially if mainstream school or speech therapy failed.

My mother told me about got expelled from speech program in 1997 after I can't pass the test.

Oh forgot to add Teacher of the Deaf, When I promote Deaf Schools, I ALSO include the option of *GASP* ORAL SCHOOLS. I am not just speaking of the oral preschools, but the actual graded schools. Most kids can benefit from a comprehensive approach to education, and the overwhelming majority of Deaf Schools do offer pretty comprehenseive services. That way they attract more students. However there are some kids who for whatever reason may require an oral graded or even middle and high school approach.

I'm not sure about which is worse? religious school or oral school. :hmm:

So why don't you just stop gaslighting people

I'd say the same to you... there's no need for all of this accusations and attack. There is thousands of teachers and staffs and you don't know every one of them. Whether someone has other accounts here or whatnot, is not your concern. Alex is the one that can look into it, how would you feel if you were falsely accused of? Some of the things are better left unsaid.

I'm not sure about which is worse? religious school or oral school. :hmm:

Eye of the beholder I guess. I went to Catholic school 7th to 12th grade. Better thing with private/"religious" schools is the smaller classroom size... or really smaller class (78 total in my graduating class). So better attention from teachers though really very few really put more efforts.. only one I remember was one teacher who helped me go through a "round robin" lesson-- little stations around the classroom to teach different things. One such station had only an audio recording. I couldn't understand half of it... so she helped me with that.

I have no experience with "Oral" schools but in one sense at least there the kids all have the same trait-- deafness so could identify with each other. private/'religious' schools don't have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back