Has anybody liked their CIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the problem is that I haven't moved past stigma so I've held on it for years

In my case it is not a matter of liking it is a matter of needing. I became deaf over the past few years. At 62, I am a bilateral implant patient working daily at improving. I am at a level of 98 percent voice recognition in a quiet environment(as recently tested). I agree that at least so far my CI's are useless for music (I was a professional musician). Deafness has been a total life changing experience for me to say the least, but support from others has helped greatly as I deal with the situation I have been dealt.

I agree that at least so far my CI's are useless for music (I was a professional musician).

I just got activated to be bilateral yesterday, music is now pretty awesome considering. I too thought they were useless for music when I only had the 1 CI, bilateral for 24hrs has really made a difference. Not recording studio difference, but enough for me to feel good about it. Hope your experience improves!

From what I've read on CIs (I'm getting one in Jan), one brand is better than the other two for music. Plus you probably need a program/slot specifically for music. Even then, everyone is different on their experiences.

Even then, everyone is different on their experiences.

Yup...

I know which of the three brands is *supposed* to be better for music. I don't have that brand, and I'm doing fantastically well with music (both performing and listening). I've even taken up singing, which I never did before.

Yup...

I know which of the three brands is *supposed* to be better for music. I don't have that brand, and I'm doing fantastically well with music (both performing and listening). I've even taken up singing, which I never did before.
Did you find any Bing Crosby hymns for church? ;)

Yup...

It's not some kind of secret, just say that AB seems to work the best for music.... Why tiptoe around the issue. the forum is here for information and people to learn.. I was just at the Cochlear meeting locally and I mentioned that when someone asked and the Audiologist even agreed and said exactly what I have said here. Cochlear Implants are designed to understand speech. anything else is icing on the cake

Forgive me if I seem depressing or negative cause I dont mean to be but yea I seem to rant a lot and I hope that's something you don't mind. What is "mainstream"? Is it like living a live with normal hearies? If so yeah I guess I did grow up mainstream. I remember I was good friends with this guy who also had CI as a teenager (we both were teens with CI) but lost touch with him. Anyway....I'm just worried I may not go far in life that's all. I just want to be happy, have someone to love and have decent job and enough money to enjoy live to do anything.
Hey most of all you should love yourself enough alone time I have gone through a lot .. and learned that the only way is if you except your life and people will see you are happy .. with what you have and be great full with it then people will come because they want to shear happiness with you .

Maybe the problem is that I haven't moved past stigma so I've held on it for years
You have to move on or you will get stuck it's not a good place to be stuck you miss out on so much .. like just enjoying the weather beautiful things food , and people who really really care about you . They will come just get out like find meet up groups and stuff in something's your entertaining in ..

I am going to be honest; I think that when having received the CI as a teenager, I think it has changed my personality, mentality and attitude long term. It also causes(ed) long term depression so it's something that's out of my control.

No, merely receiving a piece of technology is not a cause of falling into depression - because it look like that's what you are, clinically depressed.
I suspect you always were unhappy, not very well adjusted and being pushed into a hearing world was worse decision instead of better.
Since your depression is "out of control" it could mean it is biochemical changes in your brain that have nothing to do with environment anymore but everything with how your brain is wired.
You should seek professional - psychiatric - help pronto.

It also could be that you started getting very sick mentally at the same time when you got your CI,
and it all was just an unfortunate coincidence - getting CI, and getting worse.

Fuzzy

Also I have been overthinking everything over the years so I have learned not to do that and I think it's important to assume less and talk less, especially complain less. Just keep it to yourself right?

Overthinking is symptom of OCD.
And no, you do should talk to your family doctor about your insecurities, worries, anxiety, to the psychiatrist,
you should have therapist, and other support.
Regular people don't understand what mental disorder is. They all think "stop this and think positively" is a wonderful recipe for happiness. It isn't and it doesn't work.
You need PROFESSIONAL help. Go get it if you didn't already.

Fuzzy

No, I don't, I prefer to be in silent environment.

I know some deaf people like it and some don't.

No, I don't, I prefer to be in silent environment.

I know some deaf people like it and some don't.

I wonder if the fact that you got yours at 8 years old even though the loss was discovered quite a number of years before that (both as I remember from another thread) makes a difference in what you like? Eight seems quite late now, even though it may have not been then, for a kid with an early discovered qualified loss to be implanted.

I wonder if the fact that you got yours at 8 years old even though the loss was discovered quite a number of years before that (both as I remember from another thread) makes a difference in what you like? Eight seems quite late now, even though it may have not been then, for a kid with an early discovered qualified loss to be implanted.

I know some deaf people received CI when they were 8 years and they love it.

It is all about different tendencies, no matter about how is late.

I don't like to wear HA either and hated to wear since I was 20 months old.

Also, y'all have to know.

I'm rare breed as deaf man to have zero capable to use oral language nor lip reading. I'm strictly use ASL and written English. My brain doesn't work with oral or lip reading, so I struggled with it for 10 years before gave up.

During no CI era (1970s and 1980s), many profoundly deaf toddlers and children were routinely to learn to speak oral language without any assistive device, or read the lips, even if they have no benefit with hearing aids. The success was entirely depends on their brain. The early age probably make easier to learn but not everyone are equal about therapies. Some of my friends who are profoundly deaf with no CI could speak orally or read the lips well, but I have different situation that caused incapable to speak orally or read the lips.

Do you understand now?

It's not some kind of secret, just say that AB seems to work the best for music.... Why tiptoe around the issue. the forum is here for information and people to learn.. I was just at the Cochlear meeting locally and I mentioned that when someone asked and the Audiologist even agreed and said exactly what I have said here. Cochlear Implants are designed to understand speech. anything else is icing on the cake
AB was better for music in the past yes, but in todays world where cochlear was once geared strictly for voices has evolved and many are doing just fine with music through Cochlear. I actually listen to music for thearapy rather than do Angel sounds, You get a broader and wider spectrum of sounds, vocals, tones...ect.. after 3 months of activation I was hearing fine with my CIs and was ranking very high on my hearing tests and voice reconitions test in noisy environments. Its not a miracle as we all know, but it takes work. If you don't use them then you slack in getting ahead with them. Now I got Deaf a few days here and there to take a break from them, but They are doing me very well.

If you were my son, I will throw your CI in trash and make you to communicate in sign language and write anything in English.

Of course, you will be spanked often until you can address the communication issue.

No TV or games for you. That's deaf families for y'all.

Stop complain and find way to address on your communication issue. Tell to your audiologist about what is your problem.

yes, that's bad :(

That's exhausting and sometimes humiliating learning this way. thankfully nowadays there is better understanding of this issue.

Fuzzy
It's a very dependent on the kid sitution. There were some kids who got low level speech comprehension with aids.....and there have always been kids with deaf losses who actually are functionally HOH with just aids...and yeah, most kids are screened out if they on't respond well to an oral approach, at least in areas with formal oral programs/schools. They do fall thruough the cracks however in a multitude of ways,

It's a very dependent on the kid sitution. There were some kids who got low level speech comprehension with aids.....and there have always been kids with deaf losses who actually are functionally HOH with just aids...and yeah, most kids are screened out if they on't respond well to an oral approach, at least in areas with formal oral programs/schools. They do fall thruough the cracks however in a multitude of ways,

Some deaf children don't relies on hearing (assistive device) to be successful in oral programs, also some of them are expert in lip reading.

but it didn't work out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back