Has anybody liked their CIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and I know Deaf people who have no speech skills who teach, travel the world, are dentists, Lawyers, and engineers. I dont personally know a deaf doctor.
Heck, there's a Deaf person who has no speech skills who is a supermodel!

I am not refusing to make my life better, I for one going to school -- is that not enough? Not satisfactory?? My attitude is fine, why do you think it's a problem??
B/c you keep complaining that you have no friends, and no girlfriend, and your life sucks b/c you're deaf!

It isn't about "superstars", it is about the average and what is possible. This individual is unsuccessful, not because of his hearing or his CI but because of his attitude.

I know Deaf adults who are successful as well. As you can see, this person is not struggling because of his CI or his deafness, but his constant complaining and refusal to make his life better.
So why the fixtation that speech and listening is going to automaticly make a dhh kid successful? That's the implication of the Oral Deaf route and the audis, oral deaf teachers, and speech therapists......

and you do also realize that just b/c a person is nominally in the mainstream, it doesn't mean that they are entirely in the mainstream right?

So why the fixtation that speech and listening is going to automaticly make a dhh kid successful? That's the implication of the Oral Deaf route and the audis, oral deaf teachers, and speech therapists......
You are the only one with that fixation. You keep talking about reading my mind and what I think, but you actually know nothing about it.

This is only you. None of that was brought up and if you'd step away from the assumptions you'd see that both of you agree on where the real issue lies.

You're creating an argument out of Teacherofthedeaf's statement that they know CI users who are this and that. What they are is not attributed to their CI. The fact is WhatIsLife is a CI user and is being addressed as such.

There is simply no argument here and now instead of helping someone you've turned this thread into nonsense. It's not about your crusade. It's barely about CIs as far as where the discussion has gone. It's about someone that needs reassurance that the power is within them. That blaming external circumstances is a waste of time and life.

Forgive me if I seem depressing or negative cause I dont mean to be but yea I seem to rant a lot and I hope that's something you don't mind. What is "mainstream"? Is it like living a live with normal hearies? If so yeah I guess I did grow up mainstream. I remember I was good friends with this guy who also had CI as a teenager (we both were teens with CI) but lost touch with him. Anyway....I'm just worried I may not go far in life that's all. I just want to be happy, have someone to love and have decent job and enough money to enjoy live to do anything.

The point is, I start thinking negatively and have toxic thoughts towards myself when I perform poorly in social situations especially when I don't understand what is being said in conversations and such, especially when I don't know how to answer or to respond in circumstances. That's why I contemplate about suicide sometimes.

It just sounds all electronic with CI, it's not really healthy for a human being like me. Your brain is trying to figure it out all through different wavelengths than most people and it's really difficult.

The point is, I start thinking negatively and have toxic thoughts towards myself when I perform poorly in social situations especially when I don't understand what is being said in conversations and such, especially when I don't know how to answer or to respond in circumstances. That's why I contemplate about suicide sometimes.
You say you don't want to be negative and then you immediately talk about committing suicide. That is not healthy at all. Your problems are not because of your hearing loss or CI. There are thousands, even millions of happy people with more or less hearing than you, with and without the ability to understand speech, those who use ASL and those who only speak. This is not about your ears. You either are a drama queen and want attention or you have a serious mental illness and you need to seek professional help. If you are considering suicide, you need to text
logo-full-e1360871377775.png

Text START to 741-741

Reactions: Hex
You are the only one with that fixation. You keep talking about reading my mind and what I think, but you actually know nothing about it.
Am I bringing up stuff that they didn't teach you about in your classes, and it's making you uncomfortable? I think that's more what it is. You were taught under a very limited frame of reference, and for some reason you cannot think outside of the box. You really do seem uncomfortable with the issues I've raised. Doesn't surprise me. There are women who are anti feminists, there are poor people who support trickle down economics and so on. I wish you could see outside the box, b/c by pretending that dhh kids are doing SO WELL, you are in fact damaging and hurting the kids who actually REALLY need help.....and there are a TON of them.

Depends on when I'm wearing mine, though I generally love my CI, I'm especially very dependent on it for communicating at work. But during the morning when I first put it on? OMG, a mid level sound can make me feel like a startled cat clinging to the cieling! It's great, always an adjustment to improve in noisy situations, but a pain in the butt when it tangles with my hair in the summer.

Am I bringing up stuff that they didn't teach you about in your classes, and it's making you uncomfortable? I think that's more what it is. You were taught under a very limited frame of reference, and for some reason you cannot think outside of the box. You really do seem uncomfortable with the issues I've raised. Doesn't surprise me. There are women who are anti feminists, there are poor people who support trickle down economics and so on. I wish you could see outside the box, b/c by pretending that dhh kids are doing SO WELL, you are in fact damaging and hurting the kids who actually REALLY need help.....and there are a TON of them.
Not at all. What is happening is that you are actually making huge assumptions about what I think or feel and they are so far from reality as to be absurd. I am not "uncomfortable" with anything except your complete and total lack of connection to reality. You have been asked again and again to provide references to the information you are claiming, which you obviously can't do because it is fully fictitious, and then when I provide the actual data, you refuse to read it and instead ask the same inane questions that have already been answered.

Last edited:
I am going to be honest; I think that when having received the CI as a teenager, I think it has changed my personality, mentality and attitude long term. It also causes(ed) long term depression so it's something that's out of my control.

I am going to be honest; I think that when having received the CI as a teenager, I think it has changed my personality, mentality and attitude long term. It also causes(ed) long term depression so it's something that's out of my control.
Why? Why would a change in hearing device cause a fundamental shift in who you are?

Well it's complicated because first of all society wants the best interests and people want someone perfect so.....

Well it's complicated because first of all society wants the best interests and people want someone perfect so.....

You cannot blame your CI. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from being who you want to be, never mind what anyone else wants you to be. If your CI isn't working for you and you prefer to be Deaf, why wouldn't you go that route? The perception that others want you to be hearing and that your CI is going to make this possible for you is just wrong. You're not hearing and it's unrealistic to place that demand on yourself. If anyone else is actually placing that demand on you; they're in idiot-land and should be waved away so they can embrace their idiot-ness.

CI users encompass a wide range of people from Deaf people that enjoy the input they get from their CI's to formerly hearing people that are getting a good degree of what they lost given back by the technology. There is no rule that says you now have to strive to be as a hearing person because you were implanted as a teenager. There is no rule that says you even have to wear the processor if you find you don't enjoy any benefit from it.

Stop blaming circumstances and others. You are wasting valuable time in your life by not seizing control of your life and happiness. Stop trying to fit into any perceived model for what is expected of you and just be you. You are single because "poor me, I'm deaf, no one wants me" is extremely unattractive. Do you truly want people to feel sorry for you? Nyle Dimarco doesn't shine because of God-given looks. He shines because he carries himself well by loving himself as he is as a deaf man. He has a positive outlook and remains true to himself.

You need to figure out who you are and who you want to be that will accent your strengths, not trying to be something you are not.

Thank you for the well worded post, Bleeding. I always assumed that I'm not good enough for anyone or anything so....however I'm in a wonderful business program at my school so I think I got that going for me. Let me tell you, I actually do receive the CART service which I'm extremely lucky for, because most of the times my head would be blurry and confusing in classes as well as in social situations. I was able to complain to my disability advisor and he understood my situation. In my early 20s I was working shitty retail jobs in stores like walmart and superstore and my life was going nowhere, which was depressing so now that I'm graduating next semester we'll see if I find a job lined up before I graduate.

You're absolutely right, I still need to figure out who I am and what I want and how I can achieve the success but at the same time I don't feel like living. Because it's taking forever, and I think I was more social before being fitted with CI, it just made me more paranoid and depressed because it was rewiring my brain. Before CI, I would be using hearing aids in both ears to communicate with peers. But still I think CI is much more clear than the old traditional hearing aids I wore in childhood and preteens. All I know is that I wish I had someone to love, will I ever find someone? Will I ever find that accepts me who I am, et cetera. Let me tell you, I try to maintain a positive attitude and sometimes it's hard just doing that when you feel like giving up. Regardless, I will try to move forward and hopefully see the light at the end of tunnel which I doubt will happen, but...

Thank you for your post I think I needed to read that.

Also I have been overthinking everything over the years so I have learned not to do that and I think it's important to assume less and talk less, especially complain less. Just keep it to yourself right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back