Handicapped Parking Permits & Deaf people

green427

Reaction score
I know a few deaf people that have handicapped parking permits/license plates.

Their states provide them for deaf people.

I find it offensive to those that really need the parking space, especially those who are in wheelchairs. If you can walk, walk.

I've heard a multitude of ridiculous excuses that got me laughing. Heard everything from "deaf people can't hear burglars sneaking up on them" all the way to "deaf people have been suffering, need a break".

So, tell me, if you have HC plates, why do you think you need them if you are physically able to walk?

I believe you have to have mobility problems or lung and heart diseases, arthritis or anything that requires you to use a cane, brace, assistive device, etc in order to qualify for it.

yeah, it isn't really fair but i guess some deaf do feel insecure. Oh well.

For me, I watch like a hawk, especially when cars are backing out (I watch for reverse white lights and moving vehicles and check behind me now and then)

I have a friend who has a HC permit, but she gave it to her mother who is an elderly and needs it more than she does. It does irk me how some of the states are giving them out like candy though. I've seen younger people use their grand/parents permit to park in HC spots. I find it to be completely disrespectful. I do understand that some of these people have invisible disabilities, but young teens? Come on!

It's more of the younger population taking advantage of the system, not just the deaf.

Wirelessly posted

Thank you for saying what I was going to say. I was two-faced about this issue before as I was in denial about my Usher's. I need to go and get my handicapped permit because I do have quite a bit of health issues that requires a shorter parking distance.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Thank you for saying what I was going to say. I was two-faced about this issue before as I was in denial about my Usher's. I need to go and get my handicapped permit because I do have quite a bit of health issues that requires a shorter parking distance.

Go for it. A busy parking lot is a dangerous place for a deaf person on foot.

I may need one, my kneel start to develop the poor that I cannot walk that far distance. I'm hold it back for now.

Well, as a wheelchair user, I can speak to this directly. It's two sided and I agree with all sides on this.

There are a LOT of people who do abuse the Handicapped parking, but, there are also a LOT of people who are able to physically walk, but, have hidden disabilties. The latter SHOULD NOT be penalized for the use of the placard; regardless of hearing status.

So, you see, it's not a clear cut issue and that's why it's so hard to crack down on this. Here in FL, all you need is a Dr's note stating that you have _______ and you can qualify for the placard. I'm not sure what procedure Canada uses to issue their permits, but this is how FL does it. It's also how MD did it as well.

*I was born and raised in MD; but I now live in FL. I'm also hearing.

I know a few deaf people that have handicapped parking permits/license plates.

Their states provide them for deaf people.

I find it offensive to those that really need the parking space, especially those who are in wheelchairs. If you can walk, walk.

I've heard a multitude of ridiculous excuses that got me laughing. Heard everything from "deaf people can't hear burglars sneaking up on them" all the way to "deaf people have been suffering, need a break".

So, tell me, if you have HC plates, why do you think you need them if you are physically able to walk?

So do I. I have never supported reserved parking for the deaf. The only deaf who should be using those spaces are those with ambulatory issues. (Ie. heart conditions preventing you from walking far or wheelchair bound)

That s not required to support HC parking permit for deaf people who walking well. I had heard that cop had yelled deaf driver who having permit card to move out car from HC parking lot. Cop told him to let s walking and exercise.

In BC, a doctor has the following guidelines:
What are the criteria for recommending a parking permit?

Based on a medical doctor’s recommendation, anyone with a permanent or temporary mobility impairment is eligible for a permit. Doctors' efforts to ensure that only individuals with a legitimate need are issued a permit will contribute to reducing the misuse of designated disabled parking spaces.

If the answers to the following questions about a patient are "yes," the patient is likely eligible for a permit:

* Is the applicant’s disability classified as: neurological, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory or other disability?
* Given the applicant’s disability, does he or she have difficulty walking more than 100 meters?
* Does the applicant require the use of any of the following mobility aids: manual wheelchair, motorized wheelchair, motorized scooter, or walking aid (such as cane, walker, or crutches)?

Our guidelines also require that a medical doctor describe how the applicant’s disability impairs his or her ability to walk. Please fill out this section of the form as well.

Please Note: Persons who have sensory impairments are not eligible for a permit unless they also have reduced mobility.

When filling out the doctor's section on a permit application, he or she can recommend one of two types of permit:

* A permanent (long-term) permit for a person whose persistent impairment renders him or her unable to walk more than 100 meters. Chronic disabilities are considered long-term disabilities; or
* A temporary (short-term) permit for a person who is unable to walk more than 100 meters for a period of three to twelve months, and his or her condition is temporary in nature.

So do I. I have never supported reserved parking for the deaf. The only deaf who should be using those spaces are those with ambulatory issues. (Ie. heart conditions preventing you from walking far or wheelchair bound)

I agree with you to a point. The problem is that many people who are walking around have health issues that aren't readily apparent. My Dad is one of them. He looks great at a distance, but, he has severe & chronic lung disease. He recently qualified for a handicapped placard, but since I already have one, we didn't bother with it.

You can't always tell what issue someone has which can be a curse for those who are using the placards. They are judged unfairly by others; which isn't fair for them.

Wirelessly posted

OB said it well. There are so many hidden health issues that we don't see in other people so it's not for us to determine whether the placard holder is worthy of the spot or not. That is between the doctor and the patient to decide.

Of course people who have medical issues have a right to obtain HC parking permits.

This thread is aimed directly at those that obtained HC permits simply because they are deaf.

I do know that in Missouri, there were a bunch of deaf people (25) who worked at the same manufacturing plant with my hubby. They all had handicapped parking purely due to their being deaf. I got one in Missouri when my doctor found out about my hearing loss after I went total deaf. He said it was for my safety due to a lot of issues that were going on in the area. Here in Florida, I cannot get one for just my hearing loss, but I will be getting one due to my issues with walking. My mother qualifies, but doesn't drive. She has cirrhosis of the liver. MIL has one due to knee replacements. Her brother has one due to heart issues.

I wonder if these deaf people have other issues to get permits? Out of all of my deaf friends, co-workers, and aquaintances, none of them have a HC parking permit except for the ones with mobility issues.

I wonder if these deaf people have other issues to get permits? Out of all of my deaf friends, co-workers, and aquaintances, none of them have a HC parking permit except for the ones with mobility issues.

I know my hubby asked and they said no other issues. Maybe one of the twenty-five had a minor heart issue, but all twenty-five had the handicapped parking. He worked with them for 10 years and they never had any medical anything come up except for hearing aid repairs. The plant was set up for them with flashing lights and mirrors at doorways and such.

I find it offensive to those who assumed!

There are invisible disabilites and health issues that are not visible. Here is perfect example, people with hearth aligment, asthma (I got one) and I used to have one when I was at college. The parking space gets full and I can't walk distant in cold weather.

Here it is not as easy to get permit just because one is Deaf. I have no problem getting one because of asthma.

Just be careful when assume.

Many times, when I'm driving with friends to a shopping center/mall/grpcery store, etc., they have said..."why don't you park in the Handicap spot? Ur handicapped."....(Hearies).... I said "NO. I'm not Handicapped, I'm just deaf."

I've seen a lot of young teens parking there in the HC zone....knowing they should not be there...it makes me angry!....Even tho' I do have some balance problems, it's not bad enuf to apply for a HC sticker.....

Back