Hand hurting

KiKi100

Reaction score
Just started to learn sign language and been practicing for about 10 minutes now and my hand is hurting. Does your hand get use to signing?

What in the hell are you signing that you've just be learning for ten minutes to have your hand hurt already!? SOS! MAYDAY! Seriously... I can use my hands in a lot more awkward and uncomfortable circumstances other than signing and not have issues. Shouldn't you be learning words like chicken, duck, fast or maybe the alphabet? :doh:

What in the hell are you signing that you've just be learning for ten minutes to have your hand hurt already!? SOS! MAYDAY! Seriously... I can use my hands in a lot more awkward and uncomfortable circumstances other than signing and not have issues. Shouldn't you be learning words like chicken, duck, fast or maybe the alphabet? :doh:

It is the alphabet and I think it's called finger spelling correct me if I'm wrong.

Your hand hurts over fingerspelling? :doh: :hmm: ummmm.... wow, not sure as I've ever heard of that as a problem after 10 minutes.... I hope it's not a lasting one for you, as there is an a$$ load of fingerspelling in ASL... :doh:

Your hand hurts over fingerspelling? :doh: :hmm: ummmm.... wow, not sure as I've ever heard of that as a problem.... I hope it's not a lasting one for you, as there is an a$$ load of fingerspelling in ASL... :doh:

Well I also have arthritis in my hand that I'm using. I just want to know minus my arthritis if my hand with get use to finger spelling?

Arthritis does make it harder. Do you take medications for the arthritis, my mom puts warm pads on her hands but idk fi that works for everyone.

It's a new activity where you're trying to do things with your hands that are very different from things you've normally done up until now, right? And are you practicing with alot of intensity? I mean going at it non-stop, maybe working pretty hard?

I'm not a medical professional, but just from my own experience, I'm thinking maybe you've just strained the muscles in your hand a bit? Or maybe cramping up? I'd try backing off a slight bit: take a break, and when you get back to it continue to practice but in short sessions with breaks. Also, pay attention to how much tension you're using in your hands when you make the shapes of the different letters. You should be able to do them without grimacing. Try to see if you can relax the muscles in your hands as much as possible while doing the shapes.

I say this as an extremely intense person who goes at everything as such, and sometimes your body complains:0

Good luck!

Pace yourself, I once gave myself a ganglion cyst from playing on the PSP. Repetitive motion injuries are fairly common,

Arthritis does make it harder. Do you take medications for the arthritis, my mom puts warm pads on her hands but idk fi that works for everyone.

I wear a brace when I sleep and sometime during the day. Sometimes I soak it in hot water, to a point where I can stand it.

It's a new activity where you're trying to do things with your hands that are very different from things you've normally done up until now, right? And are you practicing with alot of intensity? I mean going at it non-stop, maybe working pretty hard?

I'm not a medical professional, but just from my own experience, I'm thinking maybe you've just strained the muscles in your hand a bit? Or maybe cramping up? I'd try backing off a slight bit: take a break, and when you get back to it continue to practice but in short sessions with breaks. Also, pay attention to how much tension you're using in your hands when you make the shapes of the different letters. You should be able to do them without grimacing. Try to see if you can relax the muscles in your hands as much as possible while doing the shapes.

I say this as an extremely intense person who goes at everything as such, and sometimes your body complains:0

Good luck!

I think I do make my hand tense when I practice. And you're right this is a new activity. And thanks for the advise :)

Another thing, if your hands get sore and you need a break but your mind still wants to practice, I find it to be very useful just to *think* through the handshapes. It's surprising how effective that is as far as improving whatever skill you're working on.

Another thing, if your hands get sore and you need a break but your mind still wants to practice, I find it to be very useful just to *think* through the handshapes. It's surprising how effective that is as far as improving whatever skill you're working on.

Ok thanks will try that

i have tendon damage and lymphodema my middle finger dislocate at least three times a day (nothing to do with sign) but with time the signs become less problematic...in local collage that teach bsl they mention about hand problems before start lessons.
i also wear hand brace and arm stocking,anyhow its as much understanding the sign as doing it

Pain after 10 minutes of fingerspelling is not normal. Please consider these:

1. Have your doctor check for any physiological problems with your hand or forearm. Like Botts said, could be a cyst of some kind.

2. If only one hand (probably your dominant one) hurts for fingerspelling, can you use the other hand without pain?

3. Have your instructor check your fingerspelling technique. You might be doing too much clenching. Try forming your letters less tightly. One common newbie mistake is making an extremely tight "E." The four fingers gently rest on the thumb. Another common error is pointing the "G" and the "H" the wrong direction, which strains the wrist.

4. Don't spell for 10 minutes straight. Break up your practice time.

5. Do you do other repetitive motion activities such as keyboard, musical instrument, cashier, sewing, etc.? If so, don't practice fingerspelling before or after those other activities.

6. When you start using more signs you won't be spelling as much, at least not continually. Spelling and signing will be mixed together during conversations.

7. Finally, starting out a class of ASL with fingerspelling is old school instruction. The method now emphasizes more natural sign acquisition and use. Unless you're learning the Rochester Method, fingerspelling shouldn't be the main emphasis for beginners.

They're new movements, so it'll take some getting used to (especially unusual/unfamiliar shapes for your hand like M, N and E) but you must be doing it too hard if it's hurting that much.

As Reba says, don't clench your fingers. You aren't posing for handshape photos, you need to be able to make the shape smoothly and transition to the next smoothly. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect, just as near as you can get it comfortably.

(as an aside, today I was socializing, I'd been at work all day typing and filing, then hadn't said much for about ten minutes so when the time came, I fingerspelled something with an E and all my fingers clicked... every hearing person in the room looked at me and started to laugh!)

Man, makes me appreciate growing up with ASL.... Hands hurting after ten minutes... God, I'd never talk! :laugh2:

I am the wrong person to ask because I sign since I was a baby. I assume it could be something with the stiff muscles. I can picture it could be similar as learning how to dance but stiff dance.

Your hand hurts over fingerspelling? :doh: :hmm: ummmm.... wow, not sure as I've ever heard of that as a problem after 10 minutes.... I hope it's not a lasting one for you, as there is an a$$ load of fingerspelling in ASL... :doh:

Wow you're so quick to judge before finding out why the OP hands hurt. I kind of thought they might have arthritis , I had a lot of clients that could not button their clothes because their hands hurt so much .

Back