H.P.V. Shots for young girls.

Babyblue

Reaction score
I have made an appointment for my daughter to get this vaccine.. Even though she is only 11 and it will help her in the future to prevent cervical cancer. Even though she is not sexually active now but in the future she may be. :)ugh3: but life goes on:ugh3:) One day she will grow up and fine someone that she may want to be with.. but this vaccine helps with different types of viruses that causes cervical cancer. It is a new controversial issue now. I rather to have my daughter protected now than to contract this type of H.P.V. later on in life.

STD Facts - HPV Vaccine

I posted this topic in this thread to be safe... even though it should be more public.

I would seriously hope you STRONGLY reconsider the vaccination for now. As of yet, we are not even sure that the vaccine will still WORK at all by the time she is old enough to become sexually active- there just hasn't been enough time to study the vaccine. All ethics and such about children having sex aside, I'd think that's a dangerous ground in terms of creating a false sense of security.

As far as we know in trials, the vaccine would work just as well if you or her decided to get it in a few years, where hopefully more information about it will be available.

I would seriously hope you STRONGLY reconsider the vaccination for now. As of yet, we are not even sure that the vaccine will still WORK at all by the time she is old enough to become sexually active- there just hasn't been enough time to study the vaccine. All ethics and such about children having sex aside, I'd think that's a dangerous ground in terms of creating a false sense of security.

As far as we know in trials, the vaccine would work just as well if you or her decided to get it in a few years, where hopefully more information about it will be available.

I will still take her to get this vaccine. It will not give me or her a false sense of security, due to she will still have to get a pap annually to check for cervical cancer. I will still teach her to use protection and such. Parents are naive to believe their teens are all angels. It is known to protect from 4 different types of virus that causes cancer. I rather have her have some protection than none.

They got to start somewhere. They will not know for sure how well this vaccine works until these children grow up and the cancer rates goes down. Years from now.

The Health Department provides them for free.

... They will not know for sure how well this vaccine works until these children grow up and the cancer rates goes down. Years from now. ...
That's why I would not want to experiment with my daughter. The vaccine hasn't even been fully tested yet. We don't know what the long-term side effects will be.

Merck doesn't have a good track record. Some of their other meds have been recalled because they were dangerous.

That's why I would not want to experiment with my daughter. The vaccine hasn't even been fully tested yet. We don't know what the long-term side effects will be.

Merck doesn't have a good track record. Some of their other meds have been recalled because they were dangerous.

The FDA has licensed the HPV vaccine as safe and effective. This vaccine has been tested in over 11,000 females (ages 9-26 years) around the world. These studies have shown no serious side effects. The most common side effect is soreness at the injection site. CDC, working with the FDA, will continue to monitor the safety of the vaccine after it is in general use.

Does this vaccine contain thimerosal or mercury?
No. There is no thimerosal or mercury in the HPV vaccine. It is made up of proteins from the outer coat of the virus (HPV). There is no infectious material in this vaccine.

It has already been tested. With no serious side effects. I rather take a small chance on it not working. Cervical cancer runs in my family and it can KILL. This shot will help my daughter to prevent it.

"...Merck, like any corporation, is motivated by more than altruism. If Gardasil becomes routine, the $360-$400 course will generate annual sales of $3.2 billion by 2010.

Merck needs this financial shot in the arm to offset liabilities caused by Vioxx, its arthritis drug that may have caused almost 28,000 deaths, according to FDA estimates. Merck now faces some 4,000 lawsuits and potentially billions in payouts. In one Texas liability trial, lawyers produced documents and e-mails from Merck scientists discussing Vioxx's potential heart risks as early as 1997, more than two years before it went on the market.

This history of hiding data has done little to reassure Gardasil skeptics. "It used to be that funding for research was provided by government," says Canavan, the Maine legislator. "But now it comes from private corporations that stand to gain and the information can be - I won't say skewed - but made to work for the company.""
http://www.alldeaf.com/861959-post8.html

Vioxx was also FDA approved. That didn't prevent the deaths or suits.

What are the long-term effects?

Thread has been moved to the appropriate forum

Is it really safe for preteens? The FDA has approved use of the vaccine for females between the ages of nine and 26. In Merck’s trials, however, only 250 nine-year-old girls and boys were tested with Gardasil. Where did these kids come from? The other question we ask ourselves is, “Would I volunteer my nine-year-old daughter to test a vaccine against a sexually transmitted disease?”
On safety, global availability, and sexual politics of the HPV vaccine

"...Merck, like any corporation, is motivated by more than altruism. If Gardasil becomes routine, the $360-$400 course will generate annual sales of $3.2 billion by 2010.

Merck needs this financial shot in the arm to offset liabilities caused by Vioxx, its arthritis drug that may have caused almost 28,000 deaths, according to FDA estimates. Merck now faces some 4,000 lawsuits and potentially billions in payouts. In one Texas liability trial, lawyers produced documents and e-mails from Merck scientists discussing Vioxx's potential heart risks as early as 1997, more than two years before it went on the market.

This history of hiding data has done little to reassure Gardasil skeptics. "It used to be that funding for research was provided by government," says Canavan, the Maine legislator. "But now it comes from private corporations that stand to gain and the information can be - I won't say skewed - but made to work for the company.""
http://www.alldeaf.com/861959-post8.html

Vioxx was also FDA approved. That didn't prevent the deaths or suits.

What are the long-term effects?

whats the long term effect of any vaccine.. Have your children been vaccinated against chicken pox? Which is still very new. It is all the same it is just a vaccine. As with any vacinne you have rare side effects and common ones.

Just because Vioxx was a bad pill. Doesn't mean all the medication by them are bad.

Gardasil Side Effects

whats the long term effect of any vaccine.. Have your children been vaccinated against chicken pox? Which is still very new. It is all the same it is just a vaccine. As with any vacinne you have rare side effects and common ones.

Just because Vioxx was a bad pill. Doesn't mean all the medication by them are bad.

Gardasil Side Effects
The decision is up to you and all parents. It's just important to be well informed and not depend on just what the drug maker says.

People are turning this ethic issue, proably the same people that are against Birth control.

My daughter is 11 years old I don't view it as ONLY a Sexually Transmitted Disease prevention. I also see it as a prevention of Cancer. When she grows up and decides to have sex then she will be protected from 4 different strands that causes Cancer.

Two of the viral strands causes 70% of cervical Cancer.

People are turning this ethic issue, proably the same people that are against Birth control.

My daughter is 11 years old I don't view it as ONLY a Sexually Transmitted Disease prevention. I also see it as a prevention of Cancer. When she grows up and decides to have sex then she will be protected from 4 different strands that causes Cancer.

This vaccine will protect her from two of the viral strands causes 70% of cervical Cancer.

Wow.........so with the vaccine cervical cancer rates could drop down to VERY VERY low levels!
Cervical cancer runs in my family and it can KILL. This shot will help my daughter to prevent it.
Oh the other hand, b/c there's a genetic disposition it might mean she's more at risk for the genetic based cervical cancer. However, I think that it's good to play it safe.

Wow.........so with the vaccine cervical cancer rates could drop down to VERY VERY low levels!

Oh the other hand, b/c there's a genetic disposition it might mean she's more at risk for the genetic based cervical cancer. However, I think that it's good to play it safe.

Yes. It could drop cancer rates down... we will not know how well it will work until several years later. I rather to let her have the shot and see if it helps prevent it, Than knowing later on in life that I could have done something to prevent it.

Genetically she may be more prompt to get cancer if she gets the H.P.V. virus.

Back