Gun control in schools??

PLAINFIELD, Ill. (CBS) — A proposal involving schools and guns is up for a vote in suburban Plainfield – and it actually involves bringing more guns to schools.

As WBBM Newsradio’s Bob Conway reports, the Plainfield Police Department believes it would be a good idea if a gun were at the ready inside local high schools, just in case a potentially deadly situation develops involving an intruder. With that in mind, police are asking the district to install gun safes at the schools, where a rifle could be stored and be available for use by an officer assigned to the schools. They include Plainfield North, East and Central, and Plainfield Academy.

Plainfield police chief John Konopek tells the Joliet Herald-News, “It’s a very sad statement about society, but we wouldn’t be doing our job if we didn’t (prepare for a worst-case scenario.)”
Plainfield police train annually on how to handle a school shooting and have found that police are better able to handle that type of incident with a long gun, which is more accurate at longer distances.

School district spokesman Tom Hernandez says the board is willing to consider the request and a vote is scheduled for next Monday.

Having the gun safe in the office does not guarantee the officer would be able to reach it in case of an emergency, Konopek said. Patrol officers also keep a rifle in their squad cars.
The gun would simply be another potential tool at their disposal, he said.

“As a parent of two high school kids, I would hope the police agency that’s protecting my child would have all the tools and resources to address that type of situation,” Konopek said.

The Joliet Herald-News contributed to this report, via the Sun-Times Media Wire.
source. (news site keeps shuffling articles)

be available for use by an officer assigned to the schools.

I'm confused. Why wouldn't an officer be able to carry a gun in school? So, the officer has to run to a locker and get the gun while someone with an automatic rifle is firing at people in a classroom?

This is beyond dumb.

At least, it may make someone think twice about bringing guns to school. Then again, don't let anyone know where gun safe is. If gun safe was on East side of building, let's go to West Side of building and shoot, ok? Then they'll be killed before they can get to safe.

I'm rather sketchy about this whole idea, but don't know what would a better alternate be.

The state of Colorado now allows CCW permit holders to carry on all state college campuses.

The state of Colorado now allows CCW permit holders to carry on all state college campuses.

good!

Gun Control is Citizen Control.... meaning it would be easy for government to control us.

That prof is blowing smoke. If a student is lawfully carrying his/her weapon concealed, and following the rule of not announcing that he/she has a gun, then the prof wouldn't even know who has a gun or not. If a student is carrying a weapon unlawfully, then he/she won't be stopped by any rules or laws anyway.

This whole thread makes me glad to live in Canada ... yikes (we don't have metal detectors, gun clad security, or anything like that in our schools - it's totally a foreign concept to us)

Then again ... we also don't carry guns up here - concealed weapons and permits for them are intended for cops and specific security personal only here - the rest of us don't need, nor want firearms on the streets in the hands of Tom, Dick, Harry & Jane.

When I was living in the USA, the idea that people could legally wander around with pistols in their purses and bags almost anywhere totally freaked me (and my fellow Canucks) out.

It's a little weird thinking back to middle and high school. We (all students) were required to take hunter safety and gun safety. They would bring in some shotguns and rifles so we could learn to clean them and identify the parts. Empty shells to demonstrate loading. No one seemed to mind if you brought a knife to school either, just keep it in it's sheath. Come to think of it, opening day of deer season was an excused absence! It wasn't all fun, we also had to take square dancing.

We had girls and boys rifle teams at my public high school in Connecticut.

We had to take square dancing, too! :lol:

:whistle:
"We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine"
:dance2:

It's a little weird thinking back to middle and high school. We (all students) were required to take hunter safety and gun safety. They would bring in some shotguns and rifles so we could learn to clean them and identify the parts. Empty shells to demonstrate loading. No one seemed to mind if you brought a knife to school either, just keep it in it's sheath. Come to think of it, opening day of deer season was an excused absence! It wasn't all fun, we also had to take square dancing.

did it involve banjo music while squealing like a pig on a canoe trip ? :shock:

Since my school was in Connecticut, there was hardly anything redneck about square dancing. :lol:

We also learned the Mexican hat dance and other folk dances.

Actually, the choreography of square dancing can be pretty complicated.

This whole thread makes me glad to live in Canada ... yikes (we don't have metal detectors, gun clad security, or anything like that in our schools - it's totally a foreign concept to us)

Then again ... we also don't carry guns up here - concealed weapons and permits for them are intended for cops and specific security personal only here - the rest of us don't need, nor want firearms on the streets in the hands of Tom, Dick, Harry & Jane.

When I was living in the USA, the idea that people could legally wander around with pistols in their purses and bags almost anywhere totally freaked me (and my fellow Canucks) out.

Concealed guns still freak me out. But I live in DC...you get used to it or stay at home. I've never understood why anyone needs to carry a concealed UZI. I shoot at a local shooting range (hoh help there) and have to have a concealed carry permit to take my pistol to the range. It nevers leaves the gun safe for any other reason.

Back