Greetings

Nadim

Reaction score
My name is Nadim Salim ( Mr) . I am a single parent of and my son Kashaf Alvi (who turned 16 in December) is almost profound hearing impaired is studying in a special school in Islamabad, Pakistan. Sadly, the school has no special teaching facilities and is unable to contribute towards Kashaf's learning and upbringing. Unfortunately, Pakistan lacks these facilities and I, being a single parent am very concerned about his future in general and his education in particular.
Please guide me on humanitarian grounds about the prospects of getting my son admitted in any good school -that specifically caters to the needs of children with hearing impairment. I would appreciate receiving information about the admission procedure, fees, possibility of financial assistance or scholarship, etc. Kashaf communicates through sign language and can communicate also with just few words ( Not sentences ) max 30 words like Ice cream, toffee, baba, school, friends names etc Hearing aid has so far been used advised by the Audiologist ( Hearing loss is 110 dB in the better ear. Fortunately Kashaf does not have any additional needs. Appearance wise he looks like any other smart boy of his age, is quite eager to know more about things and too inclined towards aviation, LEGO, drawings, computer games and making crafts/toys from useless things ( repurposing). I hope your responses will lead to a beneficial conclusion for Kashaf and he will be able to receive good education and proper guidance in any esteemed institution.

You can also whats app me for your kind suggestions: =92 336 0153530

Nadim, I am not very much familiar with Pakistan over there. What I do know is that there is a deaf school in India. I found about it through Seek the World a while ago. It is called Shivaji Park Lions School for the Deaf. You can find out about that. They may have more information than I do. Your son needs to be exposed to peers with sign language. If you can sign, you have to sign with him everyday and teach him everything as much as you can. I realize being a single parent can be an challenge. I think your best option is try to find a deaf school and move there to be near a deaf school if you have to.

Nadim, I am not very much familiar with Pakistan over there. What I do know is that there is a deaf school in India. I found about it through Seek the World a while ago. It is called Shivaji Park Lions School for the Deaf. You can find out about that. They may have more information than I do. Your son needs to be exposed to peers with sign language. If you can sign, you have to sign with him everyday and teach him everything as much as you can. I realize being a single parent can be an challenge. I think your best option is try to find a deaf school and move there to be near a deaf school if you have to.
Thanks a lot for your swift reply. The problem is we can move to any country but not India because of the ties we have with India. Its unfortunate.
But thanks a lot for your kind reply, although we are open for Malaysia or any European or american country. Grateful again

Thanks a lot for your swift reply. The problem is we can move to any country but not India because of the ties we have with India. Its unfortunate.
But thanks a lot for your kind reply, although we are open for Malaysia or any European or american country. Grateful again

I understand about the ties with India part. Hubby knows an old friend from Pakistan since he was born. A friend mentioned a lot that Pakistan used to be a progressive country.

Then your best option to move out of Pakistan is now because your son is already 16 years old and is way behind with his studies I must warn you that when your son moves to a country, it may be very overwhelmed for him to go through culture shock. If he knows a couple of English words, then it may be easy transition for United Kingdom or America. He will have to learn another sign language and that goes for you, too. UK has its own sign language called British Sign Language. In America, We use American Sign Language.

So, What about Australia? It is kinda close to you. They have their own sign language, Auslen Sign language. It is almost similar to British Sign Language.

Thanks again. Yes you are right. I am thinking to opt for Malaysia, USA, Canada aur Australia. Kashaf is fluent in English only. He is not comfortable with Urdu- our national language. Do you know any good school in USA or Canada who caters international deaf students?
My apologies that I am bothering you so much. Stay blessed

Thanks again. Yes you are right. I am thinking to opt for Malaysia, USA, Canada aur Australia. Kashaf is fluent in English only. He is not comfortable with Urdu- our national language. Do you know any good school in USA or Canada who caters international deaf students?
My apologies that I am bothering you so much. Stay blessed

There are plenty of deaf schools all over the US. We also have mainstream program for D/HH in public schools. D/HH stands for Deaf/ Hard of Hearing. Depends on location where you can afford to live. There is a deaf school(MSSD) in Washington DC, but you have to realize it is extremely expensive to live there. Would you feel comfortable to live in Pakistan community in US or any country?

The most popular active schools in the US are: Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD) in Washington DC, California School for the Deaf, Fremont, California School for the Deaf, Riverside, and Texas School for the Deaf in Austin. They are the best. US has its own Deaf university, Gallaudet University. There is another deaf college called National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID). It is in Rochester, New York.

You can contact Gallaudet University for more information. https://www.gallaudet.edu/

Also, there is tons of resources: https://www3.gallaudet.edu/clerc-ce...ces-and-directories/schools-and-programs.html

If you enroll your son at a public school, Your son will have IEP. It's called Individualized Education Program. It's a federal law. They will evaluate your son's performances and everything. You will have IEP meetings with school teachers about your son's needs. You can bring your advocate with you to the meetings if you want to make sure the process work out for your son. I know many parents are very frustrated with schools are not doing their jobs to work with peers, so parents have a right to bring their advocate with them to IEP meetings. Very important tip.

I cannot tell you about Canadian deaf schools because I don't live there. I think there are two deaf schools in Ontario, Canada, but I am not sure. Ontario is a popular province to live in. It is kinda expensive, too, but you do what you can. I heard Canadian government is strict with immigration laws. Since you're a mother of Deaf son, and it may be a good chance you and your son can enter Canada. Because I read somewhere that if you plan to become an Canadian citizen, you must be in good health, have a good job, good education and everything, great. By law, they will examine your mental and physical health. They will access your medical history. If your son is an adult, Canada may reject your son's application if he has any disability because of advantages of health care and social services. I do not know if there are any current changes to that clause under Canadian immigration law right now.

The key is being very patient when the immigration process starts. It will be a long process. It will be hard at first, but it will be worth it before you know.

Thanks a million Barbaro. The information is so useful. Let me go through it again and also contact these schools you mentioned. I am father of kashaf.

Thanks a million Barbaro. The information is so useful. Let me go through it again and also contact these schools you mentioned. I am father of kashaf.

You're a good father. Good luck with processing!

Back