Greasy hearing aids after wearing a few hours

BananaFana

Reaction score
It seems like no matter how much I wash behind my ears my hearing aids get super greasy. Has anyone figured out how to cut this down or out? I can't stand the feel of it.

Mine does sometime get 'oily' or wet. I've never found a way to prevent that other than maybe some kind of skin to cover the hearing aids- like Super Seal. It's worse in the summer time.

Could the problem be coming from something used on your hair?

Hearing aid sweat bands work at eliminating the problem. Unfortunately, I need to be more diligent at using them! I just took one of my aids in for repair and he showed me all the gunk inside and told me the best course of action was to send it to Oticon to be refurbished, which means I get a new HA for $350. It came in the mail yesterday.

Could the problem be coming from something used on your hair?
I don't have hair. It's on the side of my hearing aid that sits against my ear. I just have very oily skin. I even scrub my ears before putting them on and still oily :(

Hearing aid sweat bands work at eliminating the problem. Unfortunately, I need to be more diligent at using them! I just took one of my aids in for repair and he showed me all the gunk inside and told me the best course of action was to send it to Oticon to be refurbished, which means I get a new HA for $350. It came in the mail yesterday.

What are hearing aid sweat bands? Do you have a photo or a link? I'd love to give them a look! Thank you

What are hearing aid sweat bands? Do you have a photo or a link? I'd love to give them a look! Thank you
A simple Google search would of turned them up. Ear Gear also works great and in a pinch small balloons also will do the trick.

hearingaidsweatband.com/

hearingaidsweatband.com/the-original-hearing-aid-sweat-band-2-per-pack/

https://www.gearforears.com/

I don't know why the first two aren't being highlighted, but if you cut and paste them they will take you to the site.

Last edited:
A simple Google search would of turned them up. Ear Gear also works great and in a pinch small balloons also will do the trick.
hearingaidsweatband.com/

hearingaidsweatband.com/the-original-hearing-aid-sweat-band-2-per-pack/

https://www.gearforears.com/

Not in a place I can google from on phone. Not load from the wifi. Thanks for links

If the skin is oily, you might need to change what you use in the shower/bath... Something specifically for oily skin.

I second what DD said. Women can have the same issues with make-up, so changing out products might help.

I use a product called PanOxyl to clean my face, neck, and behind my ears. It seems to be really really good for breaking down oils. I notice that for hours after I use it my skin still feels dry and I tend toward oily skin. Maybe that might help.

If the skin is oily, you might need to change what you use in the shower/bath... Something specifically for oily skin.

The only thing that touches my face and behind the ears is one soap made for oily skin. It's also been around for years so I don't think that's the issue. I use cetaphil daily face wash. I can't use other soaps. I have very sensitive skin and anything else besides cetaphil or occasional baby soap leads to bad bad rashes :(

I'm looking into buying the little sweat guards. They have fun colors and it will hopefully help!

Back