Grammar

Okay, now it is becoming a bit clearer. She teaches an intro course in the "linguistics of ASL" as part of a 2 year ITP. But, in a 2 year program, she would be called an instructor, not a professor, nor a linguist.
I don't think I ever identified her as a linguist, and as for whether or not she's an "instructor" or a "professor", I was using the term informally, so I apologize for the confusion.

My linguistics professor will certainly be interested in your example. Thanks. :)
I don't think I ever identified her as a linguist, and as for whether or not she's an "instructor" or a "professor", I was using the term informally, so I apologize for the confusion

Close enough, unless you just love splitting hairs. ;)

Close enough, unless you just love splitting hairs. ;)

Don't mean to split hairs, but a linguistics professor would have a Ph.D. in linguistics, as such, would also have the title of "linguist". An instructor that teaches a basic intro course in the "linguistics of ASL" would not. The difference in the depth of knowledge is significant.

No. It actually makes me furious.
Then why are you doing it?

Honestly, when I said "linguistics professor" all I meant was "the person at my college who teaches my linguistics course". I was not intending "professor" as a title but simply in the colloquial sense as someone who teaches at a college.

Again, I apologize for the confusion (and I hope I haven't made too many enemies because I enjoy this forum. :)).

Then why are you doing it?

Honestly, when I said "linguistics professor" all I meant was "the person at my college who teaches my linguistics course". I was not intending "professor" as a title but simply in the colloquial sense as someone who teaches at a college.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

Check your posts everywhere for your attitude.

Now the only question is, will I ever be able to get on Bottesini's good side, or am I pretty much screwed? :lol:

She's the head of the ASL/Interpreting department at my school. As for participating in a forum discussion, I'll mention it, but I doubt she has the time.

Edit: Forgot to mention eyebrows down, head forward slightly (it is a "wh" question, afterall).

Ohh. I hope she joins. I like reading discussion on this stuff even though I don't know much about linguistics.

Ohh. I hope she joins. I like reading discussion on this stuff even though I don't know much about linguistics.

There is an excellent text that you can get from Gallaudet Press called "The Linguistics of ASL" if you are interested.

The average brain processes immediately an important word, subject or topic, and can "fill in" what may follow. For example, in English, I could say "I'm going to the store. Do you need anything?"

However, in ASL, I would sign that as "store, going" (and point to myself). The ASL end-user sees "store" and immediately knows "store" is the focal point of this sentence, and can start to process what may follow - whether it may be whether that person is going to be asked if he/she wants to go with, or is going to be asked if he/she needs anything. Ultimately, it makes communication that much faster.

Wow, the way you explained this makes so much sense to me now... I usually do PSE, or in English order, but I'm trying to learn more ASL grammar structure. Thanks for this explanation! :O)

Lauren

In ASL is there a specific pattern you are supposed to follow? if so what?

Yes, subject object verb, object verb, topic-comment, wh questions, etc.. its really up to you which you use.

I think this is more for English, and not ASL. But I might be wrong?

Correct, passive voices is an English thing. But that's not what jillio was originally arguing. She was trying to pass off signing "Go we" as being correct ASL (See: Post 35 & 44). That's not correct ASL though.

Back