Good or bad experiences with CIs.

Ziusudra

Reaction score
I had a friend who had to have surgery again to drain her ear tubes out because it was filling with fluid (caused by the position of the CI) and I had another friend who suffered from headaches frequently again caused by the CI. Another friend set off the security alarm in a shop because of his CI. And yet another friend had a magnet near her CI magnet and it totally wiped off the whole mapping and she had to have a re-mapping done.

I wonder if anyone else has anything caused by the CI, good or bad? If I was to have a CI, I think the most that would happen to be me would be severe headaches for the first few days of mapping the CI... has this happened to anyone?

Btw, if a similar thread already exists, then I'm sorry for creating a new thread.

Does your friend have recent CI? Or they have long term? I know some CI and the cochlea can conflict between each other. I don't have that problem with fluid. If I have one and then I would recommend not getting the CI. By the way, I don't have CI yet.

The headache; it should be normal for few days when to turn on the sound to restore. My CI doctor kind disagree for deaf who has no hear sound for long and long time until get CI. It can lead headache because brain never hear the sounds. It like re-function on your brain since your brain is still baby due no sound for long time since you were born. At least if you can hear the passed by what doctor expect the score.

My friend who has older model such as thick and metal cochlear implant that hurt her head all the time because when she walk pass by the security alarm. It hurt her a lot in past but today it is better due they don't set the thing what older model. The airport security today still wipe your CI’s mapping and that the CI offer you get two CI device one for bag and one for you wear it. You can re mapping in other place where CI clinic is.

My doctor tests my ear with different sounds background of disorder sound. Some sound made me laughing for no reason during test. They will asking you a several question about your ear. CAT Scan my head to see any nerves are good shape. Just talks about it instead just force me to get CI then end up to hurt myself. I like to have CI doctor with long term. The last thing I read the most negative for me about CI is that I can't stand under sun too long but keep under shade due the fluid like sweating.

My friend went the same doctor I go. They test him different than I do because he heard no sounds for while. So they took him a test with water tube into your ear and see any reaction such as allergy responding.

What I can suggest people about cochlear implant doctor to find long term and how much they know. Ever they failure with cochlear after the surgery. That what I can think for now.

One other reason why I'm not crazy for CIs is because it's something they do to your body. Hearing aids don't do anything to your body, so there's no risk for infection.

Natural breasts are enjoyable. Breast implants are at risk for infection. Natural penises make some women wild. Penis enlargements fuck up the penis and are at risk for infection too. Natural diets are healthy and slow. Gastric bybass surgeries are at risk of infection and can fuck you up for the rest of your life.

I guess there's no pleasing anyone and people just don't have the patience or ability to be satisfied with anything. Jeez.

Ehhh....CI's have their moments. It's nice to discover those sounds that you didn't know were there in the first place.

But there are a few threads started by me about my experiences...but the short of it - infection risk is definitely there. I developed meningitis...which might have been completely unrelated but chances are it was the implant and the positioner used to hold the electrodes in place.

Malfoyish

Yeah -- I agree -- there's always a minimium risk of infection and other things happening when obtaining a C.I. Mine went uneventfully -- operation and mapping, etc. It even stopped the annoying tinnitus I had in the implanted ear...and vertigo as well.
The only thing is -- I get headaches from time to time when I've worn the CI for too long of a period of time. That's basically all. It's not too bad nor interferes my usage of the CI. :)

VamPyroX said:
One other reason why I'm not crazy for CIs is because it's something they do to your body. Hearing aids don't do anything to your body, so there's no risk for infection.

Natural breasts are enjoyable. Breast implants are at risk for infection. Natural penises make some women wild. Penis enlargements fuck up the penis and are at risk for infection too. Natural diets are healthy and slow. Gastric bybass surgeries are at risk of infection and can fuck you up for the rest of your life.

I guess there's no pleasing anyone and people just don't have the patience or ability to be satisfied with anything. Jeez.

I second that!... :thumb:

Vampy, Excellent point there! How do they know that maybe having an implant won't cause an autoimmune reaction a little later on? That is a very real concern.
I don't think the headaches are due to the CI itself....maybe some people get headaches b/c they can't tolerate the noise.

Here's a good story. I have a friend who got CI and LOVES it. She says that if it wasn't for the CI she wouldn't feel as safe with her grandkids. She says she feels alot more comfortable letting them play in the backyard knowing that if they run into problems she will will be able to hear them yelling for help since before she couldn't do that with her kids or her grandkids. Now I'm not saying that CI is for everyone and you have to decide on your own if it's good for you or not. Just in her case the CI was successful.

Back