GM told some dealers to stop selling Chevy Cruz.

These are sold over here as a Holden Cruze - not very big sellers though...

I guess it's a safety issue. When I worked at Land-Rover in Solihull back in the UK, they'd send cars out with minor faults as it was cheaper to issue a recall and fix the problem at the dealers rather than stop the production line.

That is where I see only involves turbo that was produced in the last two months.

"General Motors did not put out anything about this on their website or tell the media about it, they only told their dealers and let the media discover it on their own. Not sure if that's the proper way to do it," says automotive expert John McElroy. "The most specific thing that we know is it involves Chevrolet Cruzes currently made with a 1.4 turbo-charged engine. If you don't have a turbo engine don't worry about it. But it's odd that GM would stop production and stop sales and really not explain what it's all about. That tells me they're not even exactly sure."

Read more: GM to dealers: Stop selling some Chevy Cruzes - Fox 2 News Headlines

With these recalls, future cars is going to be much more expensive in future.

Hi, I'm back.... My co-worker (mechanic) bought a brand new 2013 Cruze w/turbocharged 1.4L for his wife last fall, last January, he brought her car to his work for oil service himself. He called on me to see his car, told me he found red fluid leaks from under between the engine and automatic transmission, I saw it like wet red ATF. He think it is front seal in pump housing where the torque converter held at it. I told him it might be defective transmission case or pump body or cracked torque converter. He took it to dealer for repair warranty. Month later he told they replaced another new transmission under warranty. I have not hear any more problems around his Cruze. Maybe I ask him later to see how is Cruze....

Just writer.
I used works at GM dealership before and I see few brand new Cruze as 5k mileage and they have auto transmission issued. I drove that and feels so cheap and engines looks like next version from old Cavalier. I don't remember to see turbocharger got issue so far.

Also 1.3 millions recall ignition due fire risk.

New GM recall affects 1.3 million cars - Mar. 31, 2014

That is where I see only involves turbo that was produced in the last two months.

"General Motors did not put out anything about this on their website or tell the media about it, they only told their dealers and let the media discover it on their own. Not sure if that's the proper way to do it," says automotive expert John McElroy. "The most specific thing that we know is it involves Chevrolet Cruzes currently made with a 1.4 turbo-charged engine. If you don't have a turbo engine don't worry about it. But it's odd that GM would stop production and stop sales and really not explain what it's all about. That tells me they're not even exactly sure."

Read more: GM to dealers: Stop selling some Chevy Cruzes - Fox 2 News Headlines

Like I said it was just writer. I don't remember to see any turbocharger issued so far. Just auto transmission issued because I WAS there before.
Also it said "they're not even exactly sure."

Let me guess you agreed with writer about turbocharger because you had issued with your turbocharger before?

BTW. Cruze without turbocharger and they still have auto transmission issued.

Hi, I'm back.... My co-worker (mechanic) bought a brand new 2013 Cruze w/turbocharged 1.4L for his wife last fall, last January, he brought her car to his work for oil service himself. He called on me to see his car, told me he found red fluid leaks from under between the engine and automatic transmission, I saw it like wet red ATF. He think it is front seal in pump housing where the torque converter held at it. I told him it might be defective transmission case or pump body or cracked torque converter. He took it to dealer for repair warranty. Month later he told they replaced another new transmission under warranty. I have not hear any more problems around his Cruze. Maybe I ask him later to see how is Cruze....

My old coworker mechanic from GM told me that Cruze had defective with valve body.

Last edited:
Not true anymore. Up to 2003, yes your right and between 2003 to 2009. it gets complicated and problems due to changes in EPA regulations, after 2009, man! Its as complicated as gasoline engine! But even more, you will find more filters on 2010 diesel or later, PLUS must refill DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), that part too also requires maintenance and so on. Emission inspection will be required on all newer diesel engine before we even know it. The requirements is now on the table, but not passed yet.

Its based on my experience, I own Diesel engines (Three Diesel vehicles), and I do have some regrets with second Diesel vehicle, and I also had great experience with powerful diesel engine. I have decided rolled back to old school Diesel engine with truck being close to what I had with other diesel engine. If I had 38 footer RV and pull all the time with my 6.0L, I may not have any issue, that was what I was told, but I babied it too much. LOL

So, if anyone of you thinking or looking at truck with 6.0L Diesel engine.... please forget it, unless you have got a very, very deep pocket, and always haul heavy load, and usually drives it as if you stole it (Going to hurt mileage). I know it is very, very powerful engine but it is one of most flaw engine ever built, and can not be permanent fixed for reliability. Expect replace head gasket every 50k miles if you want it to last forever, and each gasket change labor/part is going to cost about $5,500 alone, and every other head gasket replace, spend additional $2,000 for new injectors and glow plugs if done same time replace the head gasket. Mine, mechanic warned me that it will cost me about $12K in next two years on my old truck.....Forget it, its FOR SALE! Sold done.

Switch job to diesel technician. It's simple and easy job.

I know what you mean, I was referring to this recall campaign where they didnt say why, and did mentioned turbocharger not affected. There are other recalls on same vehicle, and your right nothing to do with turbo.

Now you mentioned valve issue, maybe too much pressure from turbo? :dunno:

Like I said it was just writer. I don't remember to see any turbocharger issued so far. Just auto transmission issued because I WAS there before.
Also it said "they're not even exactly sure."

Let me guess you agreed with writer about turbocharger because you had issued with your turbocharger before?

BTW. Cruze without turbocharger and they still have auto transmission issued.

I wish I had time machine too! It would make my decision a lot easier and I would have invested into Micro$oft and pulled out the right time, I would be filthy rich by now. Damn it!

I miss the transmission works, wish I step in the time machine and roll back to 1980's for enjoy transmission works.

Switch job to diesel technician. It's simple and easy job.

Yes for old school diesel mechanic. Today's diesel powered trucks/cars like Diehardbike's truck, you will find, is vast difficult to work on it. Lot of works and too expensive jobs. If you do brake works, you will be fine.

Right, my EX truck (Sold already) needs new serpentine belt soon, think easy replace it? WRONG! 4 hours of labor! Have to remove or move radiator outward, remove front fan shroud, remove fan blades, its thermostats then inner fan shroud then change the belt, do the reverse and may need to refill coolant. I am dead serious on this one. I also have other problems coming up and the price tag was the last straw.

However newest Diesel engine has bunch of EPA related functions to minimize the emission, and they aren't cheap plus maintenance is required. Of course, they figured out reduce the labor but still, new technology is costing dearly. I don't see any savings with newer diesel than gasser one anymore.

Yes for old school diesel mechanic. Today's diesel powered trucks/cars like Diehardbike's truck, you will find, is vast difficult to work on it. Lot of works and too expensive jobs. If you do brake works, you will be fine.

I talked about semi-truck as Freightliner, Mack, Volve, Peterbilt, etc. Not small truck as Ford, Dodge, GMC, Chevy.

Right, my EX truck (Sold already) needs new serpentine belt soon, think easy replace it? WRONG! 4 hours of labor! Have to remove or move radiator outward, remove front fan shroud, remove fan blades, its thermostats then inner fan shroud then change the belt, do the reverse and may need to refill coolant. I am dead serious on this one. I also have other problems coming up and the price tag was the last straw.

However newest Diesel engine has bunch of EPA related functions to minimize the emission, and they aren't cheap plus maintenance is required. Of course, they figured out reduce the labor but still, new technology is costing dearly. I don't see any savings with newer diesel than gasser one anymore.

Because it's Ford and V type motor. Which I HATE V type motor.

I did on semi-trucks few times and no problem. You should get the Cummin 5.9 and it's easy to replace the serpentine belt.

If you want simple and easy to repair? Get the I6 motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFTJfe-5wwk

Looks how easy to serpentine replace the belt for the I6 motor.

With proper tools and removal/installment procedure plus if you are gifted in mechanical and no belly stomach, should be firm body like Jiro then you are good to go, take about 1 to 1.5 hours without remove radiator shroud or fan.
I replaced serpentine belts and tensioners twice. Yes they are hard to fix.

I talked about semi-truck as Freightliner, Mack, Volve, Peterbilt, etc. Not small truck as Ford, Dodge, GMC, Chevy.

Because it's Ford and V type motor. Which I HATE V type motor.

I did on semi-trucks few times and no problem. You should get the Cummin 5.9 and it's easy to replace the serpentine belt.

If you want simple and easy to repair? Get the I6 motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFTJfe-5wwk

Looks how easy to serpentine replace the belt for the I6 motor.

Yes, it looks more roomy for hulk mechanics to replace serpentine belts but Ford 6.2L V8 diesel is too hard for you. If you are a big guy with big arms then you have to take radiator/fan shroud off according to Diehardbiker mentioned. Labor hour is 4 or more hours. I can do for 1 to 1.5 hours and get
4 hour labor pay.

Normally I replace the belt in less than 20 minutes, even my new old 7.3L power stroke, I can replace it in 15 minutes no problem. But this 6.0L power joke, couple of bolts that is attached to inner fan shroud is what making replacing the belt next to impossible without removing shit, requiring remove these shit is unnecessary and waste of time and customer's money. Ford actually discovered this mistake back in 2002 after first 6.0L truck came off the assembly line for QA, They decided its too expansive for them to correct this problem, and they KNEW that it will go well past warranty period before belt ever breaks down.

Question, since you said can do in an hour or 1.5 hours? Have you done on this specific engine 6.0L power joke that was made by two companies, Navistar and Ford? I believe the problem is communications between Navistar and Ford, which end up made one of the worst diesel engine ever built. Yes, there was lawsuit going on and both side seems lose the case due to EPA regulations.

Yes, it looks more roomy for hulk mechanics to replace serpentine belts but Ford 6.2L V8 diesel is too hard for you. If you are a big guy with big arms then you have to take radiator/fan shroud off according to Diehardbiker mentioned. Labor hour is 4 or more hours. I can do for 1 to 1.5 hours and get
4 hour labor pay.

Back