GM OnStar now accessible to Deaf people!

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
GM OnStar now offers TTY access

It looks like GM dealerships can now install TTY equipment into your 2008 and 2009 vehicles so you can use the OnStar service, and I am sure beyond that as well. They also provide you with 2 additional years of OnStar service when the usual one year is up.

For those who are link-phobic and do not wish to click on the link:

OnStar1 TTY Equipment Offer

Select 2008 and 2009 model year GM vehicles are eligible for TTY2 services and equipment. This TTY equipment is currently available for reimbursement under the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program3. So it's available at little or no additional cost to you.

Also, customers who apply for and receive GM Mobility reimbursement for OnStar TTY equipment on one of the eligible GM vehicles listed below will receive two additional years of standard OnStar service (after first year of included service) at no additional cost.

» See GM Vehicles with OnStar and Available TTY Equipment

Benefits of OnStar and TTY Services

The following services can be accessed using your new TTY equipment:

* Automatic Crash Response
* Emergency Services
* Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance4
* Remote Door Unlock5
* OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics6
* Roadside Assistance
* Access to Hands-Free Calling capability7

Obtaining TTY Equipment
It's easy to order your TTY equipment on select 2008 and 2009 GM vehicles. Simply let your dealer/retailer know you'd like this equipment when ordering an eligible 2008 or 2009 OnStar-equipped GM vehicle. The TTY equipment will be installed before you pick up your new vehicle.
Step 1: Print the GM Mobility Reimbursement Application and take it with you to a GM dealership.
Step 2: Select or order an eligible new GM vehicle. Dealer/retailer will order and install the OnStar TTY equipment.
Step 3: Take delivery of your vehicle. Together with dealer/retailer, complete the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program application form. Submit the application to GM Mobility Program Headquarters.
That's it!

Reimbursement application forms are available at dealers/retailers, online, and through the GM Mobility Assistance Center at 1-800-323-9935/TTY 1-800-833-9935.

1. OnStar services require vehicle electrical system (including battery), wireless service and GPS satellite signals to be available and operating for features to function properly. Subscription Service Agreement required. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network beginning in 2008. As of January 1, OnStar plans to offer service only through equipment that operates on the digital network, which may require the purchase of a system upgrade for eligible vehicles. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions. Call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or browse this site for OnStar's Terms and Conditions (Updated July 2007), Privacy Policy (Updated July 2007), and system limitations and details. Additional information can be found in the OnStar Owner's Guide.
2. OnStar TTY services are only available in the U.S.
3. Under the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program, a customer will be reimbursed up to $1,000 of the cost of any eligible adaptive equipment when installed (or reinstalled) on any eligible, purchased or leased, new vehicle ($1,200 for eligible Chevy Express and GMC Savana vans) manufactured by GM, including Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, HUMMER, Pontiac, and Saturn divisions. To take advantage of the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program, vehicle must be adapted within 12 months from the date of purchase/lease, and a claim must be submitted within 90 days from the date of adaptation. Other program rules apply.
4. Ability to locate stolen vehicles varies with conditions.
5. Remote door unlock success varies with conditions. Not available on Saab 9-5 and 2000-2006 Saab 9-3 models.
6. Capabilities vary by model. Visit OnStar.com for details and system limitations.
7. OnStar Hands-Free Calling requires a Hands-Free Calling enabled vehicle, existing OnStar service contract and prepaid minutes or enrollment in a shared minutes plan. Not available in certain markets. Calls may be made to the U.S. and Canada only.

This Reimbursement Program guide and application are valid for eligible new and unused 2008, 2009, and 2010 model year GM vehicles delivered between 10/1/08 and 9/30/09. Please call the GM Mobility Assistance Center at 1-800-323-9935/TTY 1-800-833-9935 with any questions.

These program guidelines have been made available to all authorized GM dealers/retailers. To use this offer on leased vehicles, lessor's written approval must be obtained prior to adapting vehicle. Most fleet vehicles, with the exception of daily rentals, are compatible with the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program incentive. Used vehicles and vehicles obtained by GM dealers/retailers through auction are NOT eligible for the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program. General Motors reserves the right to modify or terminate this program without notice.

Sound good! I think that we should use mobile to contact them via text relay if requesting to unlock doors when left key inside.

Well, I dont know about that since it might stop cuz GM is closing down few plants, and jobs... hope it does not effect onstar programs.

what do you think?

YOMAN!

How would this help if you are unable to use your hands to work the TTY, like maybe you're in accident and can't move or if you are diriving and are lost or in trouble and can't stop the car to use the TTY?

Great question! To use the TTY you have to be stopped in the vehicle. If there is an emergency and you are in trouble you can press the red emergency button on the mirror.

And, with Automatic Crash Response in the event of a collision an OnStar rep will come online. If there is no response they will automatically send emergency services to your location.

I hope this helps.

Great question! To use the TTY you have to be stopped in the vehicle. If there is an emergency and you are in trouble you can press the red emergency button on the mirror.

And, with Automatic Crash Response in the event of a collision an OnStar rep will come online. If there is no response they will automatically send emergency services to your location.

I hope this helps.

The last post before your reply was in 2009! As I remember it the OP has since died and the others are people that I don't remember ever seeing since I joined a few years after this thread was active.

The last post before your reply was in 2009! As I remember it the OP has since died and the others are people that I don't remember ever seeing since I joined a few years after this thread was active.

Again... does it matter? So what if a person wants to comment on the thread or not? Where else could they comment?

Should there be some kind of rule that any thread not posted in after what... a year should be locked/closed? Don't answer that; I'm sure the answer is..."yes, yes it should". (in that case those who like that rule.. apply to be a mod and spend all day going through the forum- it's not an easy job)

Again... does it matter? So what if a person wants to comment on the thread or not? Where else could they comment?

Should there be some kind of rule that any thread not posted in after what... a year should be locked/closed? Don't answer that; I'm sure the answer is..."yes, yes it should". (in that case those who like that rule.. apply to be a mod and spend all day going through the forum- it's not an easy job)

My reason for posting what I did was to be sure the post I replied to came from someone that realized how long it has been since there was anything in that thread. Thus, how little chance there is that the earlier posters would see this last one.

I have no problem with old threads being revived if the people doing so are aware of the time involved.

I have no problem with old threads being revived if the people doing so are aware of the time involved.

If you have no problems then why bring it up in the first place? The poster is still on topic of this thread and gives other new members a chance to see this topic.

By the way, the poster you quoted responded to lemontree's post not the OP.

Back