GM Futurliner

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is interesting and very rare of the 1940's GM Futurliner

1940-GM-Futurliner-Concept-Bus.jpg

The GM Futurliner Restoration Project - several pictures of the restoration projects.

GM Futurliner

Sorry, I find that vehicle to just be hideous, but I do agree, it has historical value and should be cared for as such.

It reminds me of the weinermobile. I don't know why. They're not related. I think its the rounded edges. :)

Giant GM bus from the '50s sells for $4 million

A rare, and enormous, 1950 General Motors Futurliner bus sold at Barrett-Jackson's Scottsdale auction Saturday for $4 million.

The money will benefit a charity for military members and their families.

The bus sold as part of the automotive collection of Arizona-based real estate developer Ron Pratte. He bought the bus in 2006, also at a Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction, for roughly the same amount.

The bus was one of 12 built by GM (GM) to lead its Parade of Progress tours in the 1940s and '50s. Starting shortly after the 1939 New York World's Fair, these events showed off General Motors products and concept cars at events around the nation.

Not long after they got going, the events were stopped for World War II. Years later, the tours started up again and the buses underwent major modifications.

Despite their enormous size, these buses could carry only three occupants including the driver. The sides opened outward to reveal a stage.

The buses were originally powered by two-stroke diesel engines, and after 1953 they were fitted with 145 horsepower six-cylinder gasoline engines.
The driver's seat was 10 feet off the ground. Parade organizers had to carefully plan routes to avoid low bridges or other obstacles. Eight tires held its 30,000 pound weight.

The tours were permanently shut down in 1956, and most of the buses were modified for other uses.

Today, nine of the vehicles survive and only three -- this one included -- have been restored and returned to their original Parade of Progress configuration.
Proceeds from the sale of the Futurliner bus are being given to the Armed Forces Foundation, a nonprofit that serves military service members, veterans and their families.

Giant GM bus from the '50s sells for $4 million

Last edited:
Cool! That remind of the school buses when I was I kid and I happen to like the looks of it.

whats worse is the dual wheels on front and back?! It must be a bear to steer without power steering. the turning radius has got to be godawful..:shock:

whats worse is the dual wheels on front and back?! It must be a bear to steer without power steering. the turning radius has got to be godawful..:shock:

Agree. This GM Futurliner may have high ratio steering box to steering fair as well. One bother me is the driver can't see the motorcycle or small vehicle on the sides. I guess the driver need 2 co- pilots on both sides to look out the motorists. Could this monster need more cameras to be mounted on the sides and front/ rear as the driver can see the screen. Sounds cool.

Agree. This GM Futurliner may have high ratio steering box to steering fair as well. One bother me is the driver can't see the motorcycle or small vehicle on the sides. I guess the driver need 2 co- pilots on both sides to look out the motorists. Could this monster need more cameras to be mounted on the sides and front/ rear as the driver can see the screen. Sounds cool.

It is.

futurliner-7-interior.jpg
I believe it is for rear camera. Also there have two side mirrors use convex mirror like semi trucks using.

school-bus-mirrors-2-300x225.jpg

No co-pilots needs.

It is.

futurliner-7-interior.jpg
I believe it is for rear camera. Also there have two side mirrors use convex mirror like semi trucks using.

school-bus-mirrors-2-300x225.jpg

No co-pilots needs.

Cool. If you drive a Futurliner, can you see any objects on the sides next to the front tires without side camera?

Cool. If you drive a Futurliner, can you see any objects on the sides next to the front tires without side camera?

No. Seriously, why needs co- pilots? Cameras and convex mirrors are much cheaper than co-pilots.

Trust me, I can't drive trailer with tractor without a convex mirrors and mirrors (Missing or damaged) for parking back-up then I would ask someone for spotter.

Back