Glossing

meoww

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've searched the forum on this topic but haven't exactly found what I'm looking for.

Let me start by saying I'm definitely not asking anyone to do this for me (I've seen some posts of people on here doing that) but was rather hoping someone could tell me if this is correct?

I'm in ASL 2 and our final project is glossing a song. The teacher herself said yesterday it's not recommended to do at our level of learning but she likes to push her students, which is fine I suppose but she didn't go over glossing with us. In fact I apparently did my whole song wrong.

I assumed we were taking the song from English to ASL form. But what she told us to do was not just sign the words but find the deeper meaning of the sentences.

For example one of my lines goes 'for a thousand years I'll love you' and what she suggests I sign is 'I will love you forever'. She says because the concept of loving someone for a thousand years makes no sense, the meaning is more equal to I'll love you forever.

Am I understanding this all correctly? Because of the holidays I don't have class tomorrow and my teacher is out of town and the presentation is on Monday and she doesn't answer any questions on presentation day. My school also doesn't offer any ASL tutoring. I'm just confused by this and wish she would've actually covered the topic in class.

. . .
I'm in ASL 2 and our final project is glossing a song. The teacher herself said yesterday it's not recommended to do at our level of learning but she likes to push her students, which is fine I suppose but she didn't go over glossing with us. In fact I apparently did my whole song wrong.

I assumed we were taking the song from English to ASL form. But what she told us to do was not just sign the words but find the deeper meaning of the sentences.

For example one of my lines goes 'for a thousand years I'll love you' and what she suggests I sign is 'I will love you forever'. She says because the concept of loving someone for a thousand years makes no sense, the meaning is more equal to I'll love you forever.

Am I understanding this all correctly? Because of the holidays I don't have class tomorrow and my teacher is out of town and the presentation is on Monday and she doesn't answer any questions on presentation day. My school also doesn't offer any ASL tutoring. I'm just confused by this and wish she would've actually covered the topic in class.
If you read the link in my above post you'll know how I feel about signing songs.

Anyway, it's not necessarily looking for a "deeper" meaning in the song but looking for the actual concepts in the song. Songs and poetry use imagery rather than "just the facts" to tell a story or express an emotion.

You first have to determine what is the author or singer trying to convey? Then, you can pick the appropriate signs, facial expressions, and body language to make a visual story. In the case of a song, you'll also have to fit your signs into the pace and rhythm of the music. As some general rules, your signs will usually be made larger, more dramatically, and without spelling.

Pick a song that you easily understand rather than picking one that is your personal favorite. This is just a school assignment, not your life's confession.

Thank you!

I understand what the singer is trying to convey and I think I've picked the appropriate ways to show it.

I made sure to pick a song I could understand, a lot of people left class saying they need to find a new song because they picked just poppy songs that don't have much meaning.

The way you explain it about being about imagery and not just the facts actually helped me look at it differently now.

Thank you!

Back