Give up the Pets due to Economic

I couldnt give up our dog. She will suffer along with us if we should ever get to that point.

There are no way in hell that I'll give up my pets.

i have been through some hard times here in South Africa too, and I went without food before I would let my furry family starve. A pet is for LIFE, not for walkies!

IF you can afford it--go to the local humane shelter and adopt a furry friend!

I did!

His picture is located under Pets in Our Pets thread. :)

IF you can afford it--go to the local humane shelter and adopt a furry friend!

I did!

His picture is located under Pets in Our Pets thread. :)

clapping.GIF

I hope Obama does same!

I know we are feeling it here. I'm to the point I may have to give away one of my snakes. Buying food for them is very expensive. I understand where these people are coming from it's very heart breaking but would you rather have an animal in negect or have the chance of being fed.

What if you had to choose between feeding your children or feeding your pets?

In Charleston, the animal shelter has set up a pet food bank so people can keep their pets and feed them.

Program to help struggling owners feed their pets
By Prentiss Findlay
The Post and Courier
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

If you can't afford pet food, you may qualify for help under a new program at the Charleston Animal Society designed to keep canines and felines at home with their owners.

The Lowcountry Pet Food Bank will distribute donations of dog and cat food starting at 10 a.m. Saturday. The program is geared toward people on government assistance, but all comers will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, officials said.

"I want to take off the table any problem with somebody feeding their animal," said Charles Karesh, president of the animal society board of directors.

The free food will help both the crowded animal shelter on Remount Road and pet owners. Reducing the number of animals turned in at the shelter for economic reasons is a goal, he said. Applicants for free pet food can receive up to a month's supply per animal or no more than 50 pounds per family. Karesh said that Social Security, unemployment and the Women, Infants and Children program are examples of the sorts of government assistance that would qualify a person for free pet food.

The city of North Charleston, the Charleston Aviation Authority and businesses including J. Henry Stuhr Inc. and Modulant Inc. have either held pet food drives or will collect food for the pet food bank, Karesh said. Pet food will be distributed from 10 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays and Saturdays. "We've got a lot of food now. I think there's a big need out there. We need more help from people," he said. Karesh said he is looking for more corporate sponsors.

The Charleston Animal Society will hold a press conference this morning to announce the program. "With millions of Americans pinching pennies, sometimes it is the family pet that must be sacrificed so that a family can survive," the animal society said.

Applicants for free pet food should bring proof that they are on government assistance and that they reside in Charleston County. If the animal is not sterilized, the animal society will discuss making arrangements with the owner for free pet surgery to reduce overpopulation, Karesh said...

Pet Helpers Adoption Center on Folly Road also offers free pet food to those in need. "If you walk in and you need food we will share with you what you need," said Carol Linville, president and founder of the organization. The center welcomes donations, she said. The Lowcountry Food Bank distributes pet food it receives to participating agencies. U.S. Department of Agriculture qualification guidelines may apply, officials said.
Program to help struggling owners feed their pets

If I had pets, I wouldn't give them away due to economy. As pets are part of family member.

This morning I woke up and saw three orange cats on my bed. They always make me smile and brightest day every day. I can't imagine to live without those animals in my life. They always cheer me up when I was depress.

Beagle Katie always sleeps under my blanket to keep me warm.

My son and his girlfriend have three rabbits and two hamsters. We are struggle with finance, do cherish animals alot ! They are our family

Exactly! Do you give up your kids when you are financially strapped? No! . . .

No . . . they give them up for other reasons, such as, sex. Yep, I know someone who did that and may I say the woman was so ugly that I would have had sex with a fire hydrant over her anyday! He wasn't a prize, either, just to let you know.

By the way, the man was the father to a girl friend of mine and you cannot imagine what she has been through her whole life. Fortunately, her father and his ***** are both dead. Unfortunately, my friend is beyond scarred for life, thanks to the two of them and her own mother. Why have kids when you treat them like this???????

I'd never give up my hearing dog . . . ever! She's better than having hearing aids!!

That's a difficult thing to hear. The shelters are also asking for donations. They know it's difficult for people in this economy, but they ask to prioritize where they give some of their charities. Do people realize that the shelter rely on donations to keep their pets fed as well? I think it's difficult both ways.

In my experience, the pets at the shelter need people to donate their 'time' as well as money. The time goes directly to the animals who often don't have any visitors or attention due to overcrowding etc. And I enjoyed every minute with them!

I volunteered at a local shelter for 1.5 yrs. These animals crave attention and are so appreciative! I met one of the dogs I had volunteered with about 6months after he had been adopted and he went absolutely nuts when he saw me and several times since. Just goes to show the impact of a few visits and play! I had several other dogs definitely remember me, but see so few of them around in the community after they are adopted.

That's a difficult thing to hear. The shelters are also asking for donations. They know it's difficult for people in this economy, but they ask to prioritize where they give some of their charities. Do people realize that the shelter rely on donations to keep their pets fed as well? I think it's difficult both ways.

Last night I drove by the shelter. The sign said, Please need more Dry cat food! I plan to donation a big bag for the shelter even my finance is very tight. I can find a way to save money two weeks then buy a huge bag to feed those sharve innocent cats.

if i have my own pets somedays i rather not get away from me that what happened from my mom who away of my own pets include cats and dogs at animal shelter i really hates it!

i would protect my pets somedays what i would need for good reasons

If they give up on their pet. That will lead more bad economic on pet market. What are you think??!?

If they give up on their pet. That will lead more bad economic on pet market. What are you think??!?

Not really, I adopted one rabbit and two guinea pigs recently..
I bought a lot of hays, rabbit pellets, and guinea pig pellets..

Back