Give me a job!

That doesnt mean it should be ok. It is wrong if teachers cant support themselves whether they work at deaf schools or public schools. I find it unacceptable in my book ..and yes, we love our jobs but we have families to feed and in the OP's case, she is a single mom who is solely responsible for her children's well-being. If her job cant pay her enough that she cant support her family, then there is something wrong with the picture.

I agree, some thing wrong with the picture. if only every job paid us enough to support our family. What do you propose? We submit our budget and allowance to the employer and expect them to pay us enough to meet that? That would be great! Or you suppose we must take the responsibilty to do the best we can if the job is not cutting it, either find a different job or another line of work? There are options! The question is who's responsibility is it? Our employer? Our government? or our own?

I agree, some thing wrong with the picture. if only every job paid us enough to support our family. What do you propose? We submit our budget and allowance to the employer and expect them to pay us enough to meet that? That would be great! Or you suppose we must take the responsibilty to do the best we can if the job is not cutting it, either find a different job or another line of work? There are options! The question is who's responsibility is it? Our employer? Our government? or our own?

Since teachers are paid by the taxpayers, I would say the govt should be ressponsible for increasing the teacher's salaries or future graduates wouldnt be interested in this field anymore.

I took the responsibility of getting the college education required for my job so...

If I can no longer afford to pay for childcare, gas, food and etc, u bet I not gonna wait around for an increase in my pay...I am gonna leave the teaching field.

It's just that the teachers are given a tremendous amount of responsibility to care for and to shape the young minds. Teacher job is a multi-role for students - nanny, educator, social worker, mentor, adviser, and babysitter. They should be sufficiently compensated for this kind of responsibility... especially as students get older, the more difficult it gets for teachers because we all know what teens are like - rebellious and difficult.

Since teachers are paid by the taxpayers, I would say the govt should be ressponsible for increasing the teacher's salaries or future graduates wouldnt be interested in this field anymore.

I took the responsibility of getting the college education required for my job so...

If I can no longer afford to pay for childcare, gas, food and etc, u bet I not gonna wait around for an increase in my pay...I am gonna leave the teaching field.

You should leave it then. Perhaps you can use your education in another field to make more money. Who would blame you? You are not going to see immediate change. What grades do you teach? May be you can get extended education to qualify for higher grades with more pay. Good luck to you.

You should leave it then. Perhaps you can use your education in another field to make more money. Who would blame you? You are not going to see immediate change. What grades do you teach? May be you can get extended education to qualify for higher grades with more pay. Good luck to you.

As of now, I am able to pay for all of my necessities but barely and I stay cuz I love the job so I sacrificed anything for myself like trips, clothes, rennovations to the house and etc but if it comes to the point where I cant pay for the necessities I mentioned before, then I cant stay at the job. I just hope it doesnt get to the point. If I was single, then I would have drowned in debt and filed for bankrupty but since I am not so I am blessed but with the OP's situation, she is single and it sounds like she is struggling to support herself and her family and for that, I strongly recommend her to leave the field of teaching if it is not giving her the salary she needs to support herself and her family.

It's just that the teachers are given a tremendous amount of responsibility to care for and to shape the young minds. Teacher job is a multi-role for students - nanny, educator, social worker, mentor, adviser, and babysitter. They should be sufficiently compensated for this kind of responsibility... especially as students get older, the more difficult it gets for teachers because we all know what teens are like - rebellious and difficult.

I think a lot has to do with the age and grades they teach. The higher the grades the higher the pay. Pre school and kiddygarden classes does not really require a lot of skills. More like glorified baby sitters. As teachers begin to teach harder subjects I agree, they need to be paid accordingly. But we also need to weed out the bad teachers and there are many of them too.

We sent out kids to a preschool that was a joke. All the "teachers" did was watch TV lol. SO we need to address this both ways too.

Not only that but in the field of deaf education, we are responsible for getitng the kids who fell so far behind at the public schools up to par and that is very very very difficult especially if they have language delays.

I think a lot has to do with the age and grades they teach. The higher the grades the higher the pay. Pre school and kiddygarden classes does not really require a lot of skills. More like glorified baby sitters. As teachers begin to teach harder subjects I agree, they need to be paid accordingly. But we also need to weed out the bad teachers and there are many of them too.

We sent out kids to a preschool that was a joke. All the "teachers" did was watch TV lol. SO we need to address this both ways too.

I was a preK teacher before,...never had a chance to watch one minute of TV while on the job. The OP was a preK teacher at her previous job she worked her ass off with little support hence her reason for leaving her previous job due to being burnt out. Whover those teacher who are watching TV on their jobs are doing a huge injustice to their students.

That doesnt mean it should be ok. It is wrong if teachers cant support themselves whether they work at deaf schools or public schools. I find it unacceptable in my book ..and yes, we love our jobs but we have families to feed and in the OP's case, she is a single mom who is solely responsible for her children's well-being. If her job cant pay her enough that she cant support her family, then there is something wrong with the picture.

I am not saying that this is right. I am saying that it seems like a statistical fact that the job will not have the greatest salary. If I knew a position required paying a better salary, then I'd agree to get that right met.

It just seems to me that when one takes a career path, one takes into account that they are going to have a certain salary that may not be the greatest. It's just like Social Worker, they acknowledge that they are not going to have a fantastic salary.

I know of jobs that seem unfair about this, but when I research, I understand that it is the way it is for that position. The only way to make that better is to go back to school, get better skills, go for that rare place that pays that rare salary or change careers. Some positions have a not so common excellent salary for a position that normally doesn't pay that great in many places.

deafbajagal, have you thought about becoming a professor at Gallaudet? If you simply don't like teaching, then forget what I said.

I am not saying that this is right. I am saying that it seems like a statistical fact that the job will not have the greatest salary. If I knew a position required paying a better salary, then I'd agree to get that right met.

It just seems to me that when one takes a career path, one takes into account that they are going to have a certain salary that may not be the greatest. It's just like Social Worker, they acknowledge that they are not going to have a fantastic salary.

I know of jobs that seem unfair about this, but when I research, I understand that it is the way it is for that position. The only way to make that better is to go back to school, get better skills, go for that rare place that pays that rare salary or change careers. Some positions have a not so common excellent salary for a position that normally doesn't pay that great in many places.

deafbajagal, have you thought about becoming a professor at Gallaudet? If you simply don't like teaching, then forget what I said.

Right, we knew we wernt going to get paid like doctors or lawyers but we never expected to get paid so little making it unable to support ourselves. That was totally unexpected. If I had known that I wouldnt be able to support myself as a teacher, I would have majored in a different career. I knew I wouldnt be rich but I, for sure, didnt expect to have a salary making me impossible to house and feed myself and my family on my own.

This article explains the topic of this thread.

Teachers at State-Run Schools Seek Pay Parity - Los Angeles Times

Teachers at State-Run Schools Seek Pay Parity
By Susana Enriquez
June 20, 2005 in print edition B-4

The state-run California School for the Deaf in Riverside had a perfect candidate for a job opening: a speech therapist with expertise in American Sign Language.

She was immediately hired and was on the job for just two weeks when she got a last-minute job offer from a public school district for $10,000 more per year.

“And poof, she was gone,” said Pat Melvin, a fourth-grade science and social studies teacher who has worked at the school for 14 years. “That quality and level of person is hard to find.”

Turnover at the Riverside school and other state-run schools is a continual problem.

The 1,889 state teachers and librarians who work at detention and rehabilitation centers, and schools for the deaf, blind, developmentally disabled and mentally ill, make an average of 26% less than their public school counterparts, according to the California State Employees Assn.

School administrators said it was difficult to recruit and retain qualified teachers for students with special needs when those teachers could make $7,000 to $10,000 more per year “just by walking across the street.”

“Here’s where they should be, but they go elsewhere for more money,” said Shelly Rempe, principal of the special needs department at the School for the Deaf in Riverside, where children from infants to 12th-graders are taught. “There’s not much we can do if someone says they got another offer. We have a very set, finite amount of money in our budget.”

Teachers at California’s two residential schools for the deaf, the one in Riverside and another in Fremont, in the Bay Area, said they felt insulted because they make less money, even though they are bilingual, hold multiple credentials and have master’s degrees.

Melvin, who used to be a district bargaining unit representative, put the issue in simple terms: “We need parity pay.”

Because the schools are state agencies, their funding is approved by the Legislature and often gets tangled in the political battle over the budget, which is especially bitter this year after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger borrowed $2 billion from the education budget that teachers unions say he won’t pay back.

“We are at the mercy of the budget of the state of California,” said Harold Kund, superintendent of the 480-student Riverside school. “If the state is in crisis, so are we.”

The annual base salary for first-year teachers at the School for the Deaf in Riverside is $40,056, compared with $41,454 at the Riverside Unified School District – nearly 3.5% less.

At the School for the Deaf in Fremont, entry-level teachers make $46,068 compared with $47,247 at the Fremont Unified School District – 2.5% less.

As teachers gain experience and ascend the pay scale, the gap widens.

At Riverside’s School for the Deaf, teachers peak at $64,224 while their local counterparts can make up to $80,760, or nearly 26% more; in Fremont, state teachers can make $71,964 versus $86,051 at the local district, more than a 19% difference. “We would like to have our teachers’ skills recognized,” said Henry Klopping, superintendent of the Fremont school.

“We’d like to have our teachers paid at least what the public schoolteachers get paid.”

Joe Finnegan, executive director of the Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools and Programs for the Deaf, said pay disparity for special needs teachers is not a nationwide problem, but does exist in some areas.

Like California, teachers employed in the Northeast are not earning the same as teachers with similar credentials in the local schools, Finnegan said.

But at the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind, the pay is tied to what the local teachers make, he said.”We get this question a lot, because schools are trying to justify their requests for more money,” said Finnegan, whose national organization represents schools and educational programs involved with the education of the deaf and hard of hearing.

Salaries for public schoolteachers are determined by local school boards and bargaining units, said Ronald Kadish,director of the California Department of Education’s special schools and services division.

Salaries for state employees are handled through collective bargaining agreements between the state Department of Personnel Administration and local unions.

In 2001, then-Assemblyman John Dutra (D-Fremont) introduced legislation that would have required the department to make salaries for various state employees competitive with public school systems in the same city and district.

When former Gov. Gray Davis vetoed the bill, Dutra introduced compromise legislation in 2002 that asked state education officials to “consider” salary parity. The bill passed, but it has been useless, Klopping said.

Teachers at the schools for the deaf are grouped with the bargaining unit of the California State Employees Assn. which represents teachers and librarians. Because the teachers at the schools for the deaf are outnumbered more than 3 to 1 by teachers at the correctional facilities, some believe that their concerns about pay are ignored.

“We always have a struggle with the larger segment of the bargaining unit,” Kund said. “They are more worried about security and things like that.”

But Cindie Fonseca, a district bargaining representative for the union, said the concerns from all members are taken into consideration.

“It’s the pay parity issue that is universal for all the teachers,” Fonseca said.

But even without competitive pay, some teachers in Riverside said they wouldn’t want to work anywhere else.

For Janelle Green, a teacher for infants and toddlers, the Riverside school matched her education philosophy – that children who are deaf should be taught using American Sign Language.

She was willing to take a $2,000 pay cut to do the same job she was doing for the Burbank Unified School District.

“It’s hard to know that I’m doing something for less money than I would get somewhere else,” said Green, whose interest in deafness began when she became friends with a deaf girl in the third grade. “But I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. It’s a worthy sacrifice.”

Kund said a lot of his staff shared that sentiment.

“Our school is a real draw,” he said. “[Teachers] will work here for less money because there are other intrinsic benefits that come along with it.”

Nonetheless, the union bargaining unit, which has been without a contract for two years, is heading for negotiations in Sacramento on Monday. Pay parity is the No. 1 issue.

“No matter how good or how convincing our [salary] research, if there’s no necessity on the state’s part to respond, they’ll just keep handing us rejections,” said Fonseca, a printing and graphic arts teacher at the California Rehabilitation Center in Norco. “It doesn’t make sense. They just look at you and say, ‘Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. We don’t have the money.’ ”

Teachers at the schools for the deaf did receive 5% raises two years ago, but no extra money to fund them.

The raises had to come out of their budget for supplies, field trips and new hires.

“Our schools have had to make cuts to pay for that increase,” Kadish said

I am a bit surprised at the complaint here. I don't mean to be rude or anything really, but I always thought that teachers at deaf schools don't get paid a fantastic income. I thought that upon entering into this career that one had to accept this fact. Kind of like Social Work. Social Workers do it because they love it and accept they don't get a fantastic income.

Also, to the OP, if you're not getting paid what they promised you and on time, then isn't there an office that you can send your complaint to? I read your other post that you hate teaching, then I hear you complaining that you're not paid enough. Are you hating your job because you're not paid enough or you don't like teaching? Maybe it's both?

I turned down a job that would've paid me over $100K PLUS a free car because I WANTED to teach. I do not regret that decision. I was in med school at one point, with a 4.0 GPA. I WANTED to teach. I'm unhappy with my job because the demands that are being asked of me are unfair. I'm working 50+ hours a week on a salary that I did not agree to work for...plus I'm finding out that the dorm staff is making as much as I do, if not more...and most of them do not have a Masters degree. I'm just shocked that this school is not paying me what I need just to survive...I'm not talking about increasing money just because I "deserve" it. I"m talking about making enough money so I can provide for my family. They knew from the start that I was a single mother when they hired me...and I made it clear that I wanted to be sure that the income would sustain me.

I've had many people tell me that I'm a natural teacher. I have a strong passion for my job. I have a LOT of assessment data that will prove that when students are in my classroom, they make progress- some even jump grade levels. I"m doing my job- and doing it well. Ironically, in the classroom setting, this specific job is one of the best ones I've ever had...I LOVE it. But I'm getting exhausted from the demands that no one truly understands until they've been in a teacher's shoes.

Whoa, dude. Preschool teachers, if anything at all, should be on the TOP of the list in terms of being paid...the window of language, social development, and all that stuff is wide open during this critical part of the children's lives.

Right, Shel...we both know we worked our asses off when we had the little ones. Anytime I see a preschool teacher, I have to force myself not to kneel and worship that person for being willing to work in the one of the hardest jobs ever. Wow.

Amen! Can I hug you? lol

I turned down a job that would've paid me over $100K PLUS a free car because I WANTED to teach. I do not regret that decision. I was in med school at one point, with a 4.0 GPA. I WANTED to teach. I'm unhappy with my job because the demands that are being asked of me are unfair. I'm working 50+ hours a week on a salary that I did not agree to work for...plus I'm finding out that the dorm staff is making as much as I do, if not more...and most of them do not have a Masters degree. I'm just shocked that this school is not paying me what I need just to survive...I'm not talking about increasing money just because I "deserve" it. I"m talking about making enough money so I can provide for my family. They knew from the start that I was a single mother when they hired me...and I made it clear that I wanted to be sure that the income would sustain me.

I've had many people tell me that I'm a natural teacher. I have a strong passion for my job. I have a LOT of assessment data that will prove that when students are in my classroom, they make progress- some even jump grade levels. I"m doing my job- and doing it well. Ironically, in the classroom setting, this specific job is one of the best ones I've ever had...I LOVE it. But I'm getting exhausted from the demands that no one truly understands until they've been in a teacher's shoes.

What job was that if u dont mind my asking?

As for working 50+ hours...I can totally relate..my hours are supposed to be from 8 to 4 but I go in at 730, sometimes even 7 and leave around 430, sometimes even at 5 and I dont get paid extra for it..I do it cuz I want the provide the best lessons for my students and if I showed up at 8 and left at 4, my lessons wouldnt be as organized nor as effective. Also, I feel like 8 to 4 is not enough hours to complete what is needed to be completed so 7 to 5 is perfect but it does make me burnt out so I try to limit them to 730 to 430. Still that makes me work 45 hours a week without any extra pay.

Whoa, dude. Preschool teachers, if anything at all, should be on the TOP of the list in terms of being paid...the window of language, social development, and all that stuff is wide open during this critical part of the children's lives.

Right, Shel...we both know we worked our asses off when we had the little ones. Anytime I see a preschool teacher, I have to force myself not to kneel and worship that person for being willing to work in the one of the hardest jobs ever. Wow.

Yes, PreK and kindergarten teachers are the ones who build the foundation for these childrren to better literacy skills. If they arent doing their jobs, the children will have difficult later on with more complex/abstract lessons.

It takes a special person to be a teacher but even more special to be a prek teacher. I couldnt do it cuz I am the wrong person for that area of teaching.

DeafBajaGal and Shel90, have you two ever considered working for the USDE at its OCR (Office of Civil Rights) division? I believe OCR oversees the Deaf/Special Education one. They could use serious help from educators like you helping to change the way/how Deaf/Special Education (?) students are educated in schools.

Back