Girl commits suicide after facebook ban

Sounds like the girl developed a serious addiction and couldn't handle the withdrawal.

A teenage brain doesn't really process the finality of suicide.

There had to have been something else going on for this child to take such drastic steps.

We must keep our children involved in sports, activities, music etc. and get them away from the internet. Facebook wasn't around when my kids were teens, but we did put time limits on the computer.

Truly a sad situation.

very much so. Both my middle niece and nephew have always been encouraged to do things outside of the computer, facebook etc. OK so they text a little more than average but they do participate in other activities like dance (niece did for 15 years), band (niece again- she plans to join USC's next year I think), soccer and basketball (nephew) and so on.

As it is.. their uncle (aka me) is online more than they are lol. Sad I know....

you should see the film "Disconnected" its a very good film about modern times with the internet...it makes you think....
and yes its sad and needlessly stupid, mean kids

..thing is with technology, kids thinks they can get away with bullying...that's the real problem they not only don't know how real suicide is, they don't know how real the world is, nor the dangers of anything, haven't you noticed teens climbing scary high building just to do selfies?? decades ago, or even ten years ago that was unthinkable and was consider STUPID...now they seem lost it all and don't know any difference....like the lines between cyber world and real world have blurred....
scary!!

Well....not to sound like a prick so I won't.....but.....if this kid offed herself over theis then.....
It was only a matter of time before she stubbed her toe and did it over that.
Clearly...there was some serious plms in her head.
Damn though.
Her mother must be rather devastated. I don't get it. How the hell can anyone get addicted to Facebook or the net? People do. Sure. But I just don't get it
(Shakes head)
Rip to the girl though. Karma a bitch. Hope she doesn't come back as a new software app
Meh
Grummer. I dunno. As a teen I and others did some rather silly and outright stupid shit. Not for the selfies as we didn't have that tech but just because.
So.
Though I admit by the generation we are as a species getting dummer, harsh fate for this one.
Rip
Then again there is no spoon so what the hell do I know? Having said that, really? Really? The mother left for work and by the time she got home found her daughter hanging in her bedroom?
Really?
The worlds full of monsters.
In other words I find it far more likely the mother murdered her kid then the kid hung herself over Facebook.
The mama did it
Makes allot more sense. The joints full of monsters. Graves aren't full of kids hung due to Facebook

Well....not to sound like a prick so I won't.....but.....

That was an attempt at being civil?
Calling it karma was harsh. There was hope for her life to go differently - it is unfortunate it did not happen. What do you think she had done in her past was so horrible she deserved to die for sake of karma?

There was also nothing in the story to suggest that the mothers role was any more then bad parenting.

Look.
Think it through
What's more likely and has happen more often
Kids hanging themselves over Facebook or parents killing there kids?
Sad and ugly world but the joint is full of monsters, graves are not full of kids who offed themselves over Facebook
It's easier for me to see the mother as a monster then the other option
Your milliege will very.
Karma is a bitch maybe this kid will come back the next iPhone app for suicide help line
Meh
Really you just believe the mother here?
Why?
Don't you find her story a bit odd
I sure do

That was an attempt at being civil?
Calling it karma was harsh. There was hope for her life to go differently - it is unfortunate it did not happen. What do you think she had done in her past was so horrible she deserved to die for sake of karma?

There was also nothing in the story to suggest that the mothers role was any more then bad parenting.

I agree. What a sad story all around and such a foolish response to something very trivial. Unfortunately with children, nothing is trivial, and they react in extremes. My heart goes out to this child and her family.

Laura

Oh wow, what's mindless teenager. :roll:

There had to have been something else going on for this child to take such drastic steps.

We must keep our children involved in sports, activities, music etc. and get them away from the internet. Facebook wasn't around when my kids were teens, but we did put time limits on the computer.

Truly a sad situation.

I agree , I wonder if the girl was so shy that the only way she could talk was to people was on line. It sound like the mother was not really in touch with what was going on with her daughter . I wonder if the mother even tried to get her daughter to find other things to do.

Three might be more to the story... fb may not be the only reason the girl committed suicide. There could be something else... the mother could be in denial and blame on fb. Not enough details in the article.... was she grounded and stay home?

Would a different approach like limit Facebook and do the family activities would make a difference? Closing a fb account wouldn't solve the problem.

Three might be more to the story... fb may not be the only reason the girl committed suicide. There could be something else... the mother could be in denial and blame on fb. Not enough details in the article.... was she grounded and stay home?

Would a different approach like limit Facebook and do the family activities would make a difference? Closing a fb account wouldn't solve the problem.

You're right there is of course more to it, but i suspect it's not 'the problem' it's more like a web of multiple problems, like other people's make ups for bot being able to understand, their environment, (and others), then again like I said, the lines between physical world, cyber world, and its crossing-over interpretations which occurs between the two have distorted to a point where origin of 'problems' became difficult to trace or rendering analysis nigh impossible...and (some) young people haven't yet reached maturity to 'stop and think', not just because of their physical makeup but also their schooling which have since late 1980's have had deteriorated to a point of "dumbing down" new labour workers for 'society'....that's in my opinion people have became more fragile....their inability to survive slight harassment have become quite potent, then again teen suicide is nothing new....only thing is 'new' is that the 'loose connection' with what we now know it exist, the digital world aka FB= facebook or similar even twitter, its the invasion of privacy which has heightened to dangerous levels.....

Three might be more to the story... fb may not be the only reason the girl committed suicide.

Yes it's unbelievable that someone would take their own life just for that. It does make me wonder if it was really a series of events that culminated and the girl just had enough. Maybe the mother took her cellphone away, then took her email away, then took her AOL IM away, etc... and taking facebook was just the last straw.

I think it's more involved than her toys. I do think teens have a warped view of the world and lack clarity. Obviously her family didn't see how dangerous her behavior was to herself. Very tragic.

Back