Getting my attention...

stefb

Reaction score
Obviously I'm not hearing people (strangers) when they say "excuse me" or call my name, or try to get my attention, and sometimes it makes people mad, and I don't get a chance to say "sorry I didn't hear you, I'm Deaf/HoH" and for them to say "oh sure, no problem".... so they grab my arm or they yell really loudly close to my face and someone else motions to me.

What do I say to them? How do you deal with people who get angry or almost aggressive when you don't hear them?

Does it get easier to explain, or less awkward?

Late deafened PR manager.

Less awkward yes, if your lucky. Easier no. Some times I a total jack donkey to people that yell at me or grab me.

I have had this a lot. The only thing in my exp you can do is explain to them after they get angry. It doesnt always work and one guy even blamed me for him getting angry because how could he know i was deaf but still. Just stay calm, be the bigger person and vent about it on alldeaf.

Wow! That sounds like their communication tactics are very invasive, StefB. I am a momma bear to a deaf child and if anyone ever tried to get in her face or place their hands on her to get her attention, I’d swiftly correct them. It’s too bad people aren’t more empathetic. As a manager, maybe you could inform your team how best to alert you? They probably don’t realize how ineffective their communication strategies are.

I was at Wal-Mart not too long ago and I accidently bumped into a lady. I put my hand up and said sorry (I can talk) but I don't know if she understood me. I kept walking and apparently she was muttering "Excuse me, how rude, can't you even say sorry" Of course I didn't hear her AT ALL until she very loudly said EXCUSE ME YOU ARE SO RUDE She was almost screaming. I heard the noise and turned around and she started ripping into me for being rude but then I pointed to my hearing aid and said "Sorry" again and she got soooooooooooo embarrassed lol.

Back