getting hearing aids for the first time.

MVP262

Reaction score
I'm 17 years old, and i have been told i need hearing aids.
im scared of getting them. i dont like change. and its going to be a massive change for me.
plz can u give me any advice.
ur personal experinces of getting hearing aids.
what is the best hearing aids to go for.
does it hurt?
wot happens when u get them?
and stuff like that.
etc.

thank you.

Well, I don't know why you're getting hearing aids, I don't see an intro post by you in the intro forum, so I'll take a guess here:

You say you're 17 years old. This sounds like you've recently become hard-of-hearing/deaf to the point where hearing aids are needed.

Each hearing aid is pretty unobtrusive, and does not stick out unless you choose a fancy color scheme. It's pretty light as well, so you don't necessarily feel a big weight on your head/ears.

The ear molds are going to be fitted to the exact shape/dimensions of your ear. When you put them on for the first time, it'll feel a bit cold, but then your body's heat will warm it up and you won't notice its there unless you flex your ears/jaw muscles. I highly recommend getting a soft ear mold.

You'll also need to keep fresh batteries handy, like in your purse or backpack so you can switch out your batteries at your convenience. Just make sure you turn off the hearing aid before taking it out of your ear. ;)

The key is to not think of it as a scary moment, but rather as a new chapter in your life and meet it head on with your eyes focused to the horizon, and not looking down. :)

Any more questions? I'm happy to help answer if I can!

Well, I don't know why you're getting hearing aids, I don't see an intro post by you in the intro forum, so I'll take a guess here:

You say you're 17 years old. This sounds like you've recently become hard-of-hearing/deaf to the point where hearing aids are needed.

Each hearing aid is pretty unobtrusive, and does not stick out unless you choose a fancy color scheme. It's pretty light as well, so you don't necessarily feel a big weight on your head/ears.

The ear molds are going to be fitted to the exact shape/dimensions of your ear. When you put them on for the first time, it'll feel a bit cold, but then your body's heat will warm it up and you won't notice its there unless you flex your ears/jaw muscles. I highly recommend getting a soft ear mold.

You'll also need to keep fresh batteries handy, like in your purse or backpack so you can switch out your batteries at your convenience. Just make sure you turn off the hearing aid before taking it out of your ear. ;)

The key is to not think of it as a scary moment, but rather as a new chapter in your life and meet it head on with your eyes focused to the horizon, and not looking down. :)

Any more questions? I'm happy to help answer if I can!

Wots ur experince of getting hearing aids?
is 2 hearing aids better than one?
does it hurt when u have the ear molds fitted?
wot does it feel like having them in ur ears?
wot is the differnce when u having hearing aids in and not?
wots the difference beetween a soft ear mold and a hard ear mold?

im scared people are going to make fun of me for having hearing aids.

Wots ur experince of getting hearing aids?
is 2 hearing aids better than one?
does it hurt when u have the ear molds fitted?
wot does it feel like having them in ur ears?
wot is the differnce when u having hearing aids in and not?
wots the difference beetween a soft ear mold and a hard ear mold?

im scared people are going to make fun of me for having hearing aids.

I first got hearing aids when I was like... 3? I can't remember, its been as long as I can remember. I'm born deaf.

In my opinion, 2 hearing aids is better than one... the world in Stereo sound is much better than Mono sound, but that's just me. ;)

Getting your ear molds fitted, the only part that might hurt is if the audiologist jams that sponge thingy down your ear really hard, but they're trained not to do that. They'll just insert it with careful push, little by little, until its sitting right next to your ear drum. The point of that sponge thingy is so that the ear mold mixture does not touch the ear drum. After that, you'll feel your ear "fill up" while the audiologist fills your ear with the ear mold mixture. Just don't move your jaw too much while it sets, so that the mold can get your ear's natural shape at rest.

What does having an ear mold in my ears feel like? I've explained that in my first post, take a look. ;)

For me, the difference between having hearing aids in and not having it in is simple: no sound except that which my brain likes to trick me into thinking. If you're a recently hoh/deaf person, trust me you'll LOVE the sleep you'll get, there's nothing like a good nights sleep with no sound except a loud thunderclap bothering you. ;)

A soft ear mold is what it is, it is soft when its warmed up by your body's heat while you're wearing it. A hard ear mold does not get soft in that situation, or ever as far as I'm aware.

I can't tell you how to fight being scared about something that you've never wore before. The important thing is to ignore the people that make fun of you for your hearing aids. If they do that, they're not worth it, just ignore them and move on.

Can you tell us about yourself so we can get a better idea of what you're scared of?

I first got hearing aids when I was like... 3? I can't remember, its been as long as I can remember. I'm born deaf.

In my opinion, 2 hearing aids is better than one... the world in Stereo sound is much better than Mono sound, but that's just me. ;)

Getting your ear molds fitted, the only part that might hurt is if the audiologist jams that sponge thingy down your ear really hard, but they're trained not to do that. They'll just insert it with careful push, little by little, until its sitting right next to your ear drum. The point of that sponge thingy is so that the ear mold mixture does not touch the ear drum. After that, you'll feel your ear "fill up" while the audiologist fills your ear with the ear mold mixture. Just don't move your jaw too much while it sets, so that the mold can get your ear's natural shape at rest.

What does having an ear mold in my ears feel like? I've explained that in my first post, take a look. ;)

For me, the difference between having hearing aids in and not having it in is simple: no sound except that which my brain likes to trick me into thinking. If you're a recently hoh/deaf person, trust me you'll LOVE the sleep you'll get, there's nothing like a good nights sleep with no sound except a loud thunderclap bothering you. ;)

A soft ear mold is what it is, it is soft when its warmed up by your body's heat while you're wearing it. A hard ear mold does not get soft in that situation, or ever as far as I'm aware.

I can't tell you how to fight being scared about something that you've never wore before. The important thing is to ignore the people that make fun of you for your hearing aids. If they do that, they're not worth it, just ignore them and move on.

Can you tell us about yourself so we can get a better idea of what you're scared of?

i have been HOH for a couple of years now. but havent realy spoken up about it until now. i dont like new situations, i dont like things being in my ears because it hurts me.
if u have got aim, u can add me and ask me questions, it is: shygirlhmm

Hi Shy girl

I am profoundly deaf and has been since birth.

I must say get soft molds rather than hard molds believe me... hard molds can be uncomfortable. Hypoallegeric soft mold is best way forward in your postiton so u can be comfortable in your first few months of wearing the new aids. I generally have them done (replaced) every 6-12 months.
2 aids is better than one as easier to localize where the sound comes from.
To be honest i forget i even wear them (i often jump in the pool with them on when i was younger!) they are so light and is pretty much hidden behind your ear lope.
If you have long hair and like them down then hearing aids are easily hidden...
Do you have close friends who you can talk to about wearing hearing aids/your hearing loss?... do they know about your hearing loss?, if you haven't then it might be best to talk to them about it first then see how it goes. DON'T forget to say that you are STILL same person as before your hearing aids. People wearing Hearing aids is like people wearing glasses.

hope this helps

All the best

Hi Shy girl

I am profoundly deaf and has been since birth.

I must say get soft molds rather than hard molds believe me... hard molds can be uncomfortable. Hypoallegeric soft mold is best way forward in your postiton so u can be comfortable in your first few months of wearing the new aids. I generally have them done (replaced) every 6-12 months.
2 aids is better than one as easier to localize where the sound comes from.
To be honest i forget i even wear them (i often jump in the pool with them on when i was younger!) they are so light and is pretty much hidden behind your ear lope.
If you have long hair and like them down then hearing aids are easily hidden...
Do you have close friends who you can talk to about wearing hearing aids/your hearing loss?... do they know about your hearing loss?, if you haven't then it might be best to talk to them about it first then see how it goes. DON'T forget to say that you are STILL same person as before your hearing aids. People wearing Hearing aids is like people wearing glasses.

hope this helps

All the best

why do u need them replaced?
im probablly goin to keep taking them out cz i dont like stuff being put in my ears and its a new situation for me.

no, i dont have any close friends. no, they dont know about my hearing loss. i havent told any of my friends. im scared they wont be my friend again.

Have the mold replaced often as they don't last forever, and our ear changes shapes as we get older.

You'd be surprised how comfortable the mold is after few weeks (it will be bit strange at first anyway). You can do it like one hour a day then granually build up until you are happy to wear them.

Have you spoken to your audiology about what to expect?

Like i said wearing hearing aid DOES NOT change who you are... you are still same person as before, your friends should know that if you do tell them. Don't hide yourself because of your deafness/hearing loss.

How much hearing loss do you have?

Have you thought about In The Ear aid as they are widely used for people who is HOH.

Have the mold replaced often as they don't last forever, and our ear changes shapes as we get older.

You'd be surprised how comfortable the mold is after few weeks (it will be bit strange at first anyway). You can do it like one hour a day then granually build up until you are happy to wear them.

Have you spoken to your audiology about what to expect?

Like i said wearing hearing aid DOES NOT change who you are... you are still same person as before, your friends should know that if you do tell them. Don't hide yourself because of your deafness/hearing loss.

How much hearing loss do you have?

Have you thought about In The Ear aid as they are widely used for people who is HOH.

o, ok.
wot if im never happy wearing them? and wot if they will always feel weird?

no, i havent.
hmm. im scared of losing my friends. do i have to tell them?

i have lost half of my hearing in one ear and 3/4 in the other ear.
(Severe Hearing Loss.)

my mum wants me to get behind the ear hearing aids.

It sounds like you really could use a friend who is in the same boat as you. Maybe you can ask your audiogist (sp?) to network you up with someone your age in your local area?

What I think is if you really don't want to wear a hearing aid and feel comfortable with your deafness, not hearing much sounds - let your parents/guardians know. You are almost of legal adult age.

I cannot really comment on hearing aids. The last time I had one was when I was about six years old. The hearing aid hurted my ear a lot that I took the hearing aid out and chewed it because. I still remember the sounds being too loud for me. I only had it less than a week.

You won't know what they are like until you have tried them.

You don't have to tell them but they WILL eventually find out if they see your hearing aid and may ask questions.

It would be best to talk to your audiology about what to expect, have a proper hearing test done to ensure you to get the best possible hearing aid for your loss.

Regarding to your first post, How do you know that you need hearing aids? and how do you know how deaf you are? was it the audiology who tested you? Are you buying hearing aid without audiology?

I have replied to your message. OK. I am in England and it's past my bed time, i will be around most of evenings ( after lunch your time if that you are in the States!)

I would recommend that you get behind the ear (BTE) hearing aids for the following reasons:

* BTEs do not require as much repair as in the ear or in the canal aids due to their larger size.
* BTEs give you the ability to connect to devices such as portable MP3/CD player, FM system, etc.
* BTEs allow for more amplification to be added in the future if your hearing loss changes.

I received my first pair of hearing aids when I was 15. Even though my hearing loss was considered moderately-severe, my audiologist would not give me ITE (in the ear) or ITC (in the canal) aids because she knew that as a self-concious teenager, I'd keep them hidden in a drawer. If truth be told, my *friends* were the ones who had to convince me to wear my hearing aids because they got tired of having to constantly repeat themselves. Even if this had not been the case, I would not have remained friends with anyone who couldn't accept me for who I was just because I happened to wear hearing aids.

Agreed..I was first scared when i had to get hearing aids at 18...
It is weird at first but doesn't hurt...just takes a lil bit to get used to..
ummm i have a hard earmold so i dunno wat a soft one is like but it seems comfy to me..
you have to get the molds replaced every so often because ur ear changes and the mold can wear down from sweat etc. Definitely get BTE's they allow for more amplification if need be and who cares if ur friends see it..most of my friends didn't care when i got mine but if they did then really they aren't ur true friends..Have tylenol with u when u first start wearing them sometimes the brain gets overwhelmed and u get a headache...but don't be scared..if u have any q's or watev i will msg u on aim i added u:) btw im 19 so i've only had my ha for a year so i know what ur dealing with..specially being young ;)

I got my first hearing aids at 7 months old and they are a big part of my life. Never hurted me except for when I got colds and fluid would build up in my ear canal. The hearing aid molds wouldnt allow the fluid to dry causing it to even build up more resulting in severe ear infections. Then, I CANT wear my hearing aids when I have my ear infections. I just go completely deaf until my earaches go away.

Good luck!

You won't know what they are like until you have tried them.

You don't have to tell them but they WILL eventually find out if they see your hearing aid and may ask questions.

It would be best to talk to your audiology about what to expect, have a proper hearing test done to ensure you to get the best possible hearing aid for your loss.

Regarding to your first post, How do you know that you need hearing aids? and how do you know how deaf you are? was it the audiology who tested you? Are you buying hearing aid without audiology?

I have replied to your message. OK. I am in England and it's past my bed time, i will be around most of evenings ( after lunch your time if that you are in the States!)

yeah, it was the audiology guy, who tested me and told me.

Hi Shy Girl. Which is hearing aids do you get? Like BTE or CIC or ITE or ITC? I was first time get HA when I was 2 years old. It doesn't bother me at all. I like the soft earmold. It's comfortable. Don't be scare if you get a new HA. Just be happy to hear.

Hi Shy Girl. Which is hearing aids do you get? Like BTE or CIC or ITE or ITC? I was first time get HA when I was 2 years old. It doesn't bother me at all. I like the soft earmold. It's comfortable. Don't be scare if you get a new HA. Just be happy to hear.

im getting behind the ear.
im so nervous and scared. im getting them in 3 weeks. and its the first time i will get them.

im getting behind the ear.
im so nervous and scared. im getting them in 3 weeks. and its the first time i will get them.

:aw: Don't be scare. It will not hurt you at all. Trust me. I am sure you will love your HA. You will be okay. I want to say good luck on your new hearing aids to hear. :hug:

P.S. If you're still in High School student. Just ignore to other mean kids think about your HA. You can put your hair down. Nobody can see it. The best is clear earmold.

:aw: Don't be scare. It will not hurt you at all. Trust me. I am sure you will love your HA. You will be okay. I want to say good luck on your new hearing aids to hear. :hug:

P.S. If you're still in High School student. Just ignore to other mean kids think about your HA. You can put your hair down. Nobody can see it. The best is clear earmold.

Or just be aggressive and cool. Here is how mine look today.

zvdiet_th.jpg

Back