Getting Free Handouts?

That's terrible. It's teaching the child how to be a beggar.

Never got a darn thing...:giggle:...I'm too proud to take charity, I guess. And so many...so many!! hearing people I know are baffled that I don't get Food Stamps, saying..."but you are Deaf"!...

If my boys came home with some expensive shoes, and I didn't pay for them, I'm gonna question that....

Never got a darn thing...:giggle:...I'm too proud to take charity, I guess. And so many...so many!! hearing people I know are baffled that I don't get Food Stamps, saying..."but you are Deaf"!...

If my boys came home with some expensive shoes, and I didn't pay for them, I'm gonna question that....

But the mother was there and she accepted it. Isn't that teaching her child to take freebies or that because he is a "special needs" child, he deserves freebies?

I would understand a handout if this was a life or death situation such as needing some food or a place to stay. But this is just for expensive shoes, those poor kids in africa are rolling their eyes.

And I do think that this could cause issues with the deaf child in that he could learn to simply play the "deaf card" just like blacks pull the "race card" and assume that the world owes them a favor.

I have never gotten freebies for being deaf in my life...maybe I was doing it wrong all this time!!!

I have never gotten freebies for being deaf in my life...maybe I was doing it wrong all this time!!! ��

And maybe I should have my husband park me with my wheelchair and some ASL cards at the mall tomorrow?

See if I could get enough for a nice dinner out?

My mom would not allow that kind of free stuffs she recevies because I am a special need. :No: She would not want me to look like everyone to feel sorry for me. I understood her long time ago. :P

No, no hand outs, but I have taken advantage of "special" treatment.
I get a disability discount on Amtrak for coach fare.
I have also, without asking, been allowed to pre-board airplanes. In these cases, all I did was let the gate agent know that I was deaf/HoH and where I would be sitting in case there were any important announcements that I may not hear. They offered me the option to board with the other pre-boarders and I've taken them up on their offer. I do not expect this to happen every time I fly, but I will continue to notify the gate agents of my poor hearing so that I hopefully won't miss any important messages.

I use "Senior Citizen" discounts where available.

Last edited:
Love Blue, how did you get the doohicky over the n and what is it called?

It's called a doohicky... :lol: It's commonly called a tilde, but if you google it, you'll see other names for it. (on one page someone did call it a doo-hicky).

My Macbook Air automatically put it there when I spelled senora then sent to select the correct spelling. I believe there are ways to do it yourself...need to look it up.

It's called a doohicky... :lol: It's commonly called a tilde, but if you google it, you'll see other names for it. (on one page someone did call it a doo-hicky).

My Macbook Air automatically put it there when I spelled senora then sent to select the correct spelling. I believe there are ways to do it yourself...need to look it up.

Ah, thanks, that was interesting. I wish there was a place on the pc keyboard for all those foreign doo hickies! :lol:

There is in a way--
there are two ways I know of to get that n... char

1. in Windows, click on start button then enter Character Map in the search bar then select character map. Select the character you want and copy/paste it---> ñ

2. a bit of an easier way is to use alt codes-- alt 0241 (hold down the ALT key and type in 0241 then release). ñ .. Caveat- you need to use the number pad on the right of the keyboard.

one good site-- http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

back on topic...
No, no hand outs, but I have taken advantage of "special" treatment.
I get a disability discount on Amtrak for coach fare.
I have also, without asking, been allowed to pre-board airplanes. In these cases, all I did was let the gate agent know that I was deaf/HoH and where I would be sitting in case there were any important announcements that I may not hear. They offered me the option to board with the other pre-boarders and I've taken them up on their offer. I do not expect this to happen every time I fly, but I will continue to notify the gate agents of my poor hearing so that I hopefully won't miss any important messages.

I've done the same thing over the years. Used to use disabled discounts on Amtrak as well as for the Washington Metro. Most times they let me board if I accidentally get in the first group to board and I tell them why.

Last edited:
There is in a way--
there are two ways I know of to get that n... char

1. in Windows, click on start button then enter Character Map in the search bar then select character map. Select the character you want and copy/paste it---> ñ

2. a bit of an easier way is to use alt codes-- alt 0241 (hold down the ALT key and type in 0241 then release). ñ .. Caveat- you need to use the number pad on the right of the keyboard.

one good site-- http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

back on topic...

I've done the same thing over the years. Used to use disabled discounts on Amtrak as well as for the Washington Metro. Most times they let me board if I accidentally get in the first group to board and I tell them why.

Thanks, Ducky, for that information, will save it! Sorry about getting off topic.

Back