Getting a CI

G

Gemtun

Don't shoot me but I am getting a CI in April. I am the last person who would ever think of getting a CI -being anti CI person I was for many years even when my own brother and his whole family got CIs four years ago. But much to my surprise, I let down my guard and decided to go for it.

I am not sure which one to get ..Nucleus or Clarion. I hear that Clarion does not have a Tcoil so that is a big disadvantage.

I am also wondering how some of you culturally deaf handle others judgements. I am not sure if I have developed thick skin yet - I work for and with the deaf so I am sure that I will be judged harshly. How do you handle that?

i have been in ur shoes in like this sitution..

Back in my high school times 5 years ago.. i am very against CI... but right now i'm thinking if i should get one now or what? since i'm now more socialize with hearing since i live in small town and i'm out of high school.

i have been asking few of my Really GOOD friends most are pissed off about me thinking about getting one.. that's scary i uddy how u feel..

Meg said:
Don't shoot me but I am getting a CI in April. I am the last person who would ever think of getting a CI -being anti CI person I was for many years even when my own brother and his whole family got CIs four years ago. But much to my surprise, I let down my guard and decided to go for it.

I am not sure which one to get ..Nucleus or Clarion. I hear that Clarion does not have a Tcoil so that is a big disadvantage.

I am also wondering how some of you culturally deaf handle others judgements. I am not sure if I have developed thick skin yet - I work for and with the deaf so I am sure that I will be judged harshly. How do you handle that?

Actually, Clarion has a "T-Mic" but not a telecoil type but it lets you use phone naturally instead of placing the receiver end of phone over the bte instead of ear. http://bionicear.com/products/powercel.html

Have you seen the newest Auria? http://bionicear.com/products/powercel.html and check out the Hi-Resolution sound

The Nucleus ESPrit 3G includes a telecoil whereas the Clarion Auria includes something different called a T-Mic.* Both are designed to facilitate using the telephone, but each has advantages/disadvantages.* Advantages of the telecoil are that they are very effective at blocking out background noise when using the phone, and that they are compatible with wireless FM systems.* The disadvantage is that many cell phones are not compatible with a telecoil.* Advantages of the T-Mic are that they can be used with any kind of telephone or cell phone and they allow the user to wear headphones the way a normal person would; but they don't block background noise 100% the way a telecoil can.* Regardless, it should be noted that the ability to use the telephone varies a lot between recipients depending on how well s/he hears, and a telecoil or t-mic does not guarantee that someone will be able to use the phone.
This from: http://www.geocities.com/cicentral/ in compare implants section

Meg.. You are old enough to make ur Choice... By the way Congratultion if that makes you happy then go for it...

I am not against People with CI, But.. I don't like the idea of a baby having one... that my only problem I have...

I will not look at u Differently or think of you Differently..

Its Important how you feel not what we feel.. If some do not like that U have CI.. Let them think that way.. U do what u want to do.. what is best for you.. Cuz you the one who living with it.. not them...

Wish you All the Best of Luck! :grouphug: :)

Hi Meg,

Congratulate on getting a CI...I hope the best for you...and I am happy for you anyways...

I don't have anything against CI..U don't need to worry about ME shooting ya... :lol: ...

Just have to ignore those who make judgements of you having a CI or going to....U are going to live with it not THEM!... :fruit:

I wish you all the best...and Good Luck!... :thumb:

:grouphug:

Hi Meg......I think CIs are slowly but surely becoming accepted in the deaf world, especially among younger deafies. All but the most hardcore deafies realize that the CI is here to stay, and they understand that just as with hearing aids, there is a VERY huge range of benifit from understanding enviromental noises better to improved speechreading, to better speech perception to HOH levels of speech perception to understanding at "almost hearing levels" and everything in between.

Back