"GBLT LOUNGE" excludes everyone else

So, you're saying that those who are not GLBT have no right to express their opinion on GLBT issues?

That's like not allowing a hearing person to talk about deaf issues.

This reminds me of what Noella said at NTID. "If you don't have deaf parents, you don't know what it's like to be deaf."

No, you misread my comments again.

Honestly, I don't see how "GLBT Lounge" would keep straight friends/allies away, anymore than the name ALLDEAF keeps away hearing friends/allies. I don't think the intention was ever to exclude folks, to begin with... but rather to change the original name of the folder, which some folks found offensive.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem with a more inclusive title.

What would you suggest, Kai?

I already sugguested "the spectrum" in my comment. However yes GLBT does exclude everyone else as theres many different names/labels everyone calls themselves nowadays. If one wants the "GLBT" term that itself is already offensive to some as theres other comments of how many are not even under those labels/ orientations such as queers, questioning, asexuals and so on as ones identify is unique to their own.

to choose some word that doesn't exclude anybody including everything a-z one shouldn't use letters that represents only a fraction of the population thats my logic.

I already sugguested "the spectrum" in my comment. However yes GLBT does exclude everyone else as theres many different names/labels everyone calls themselves nowadays. If one wants the "GLBT" term that itself is already offensive to some as theres other comments of how many are not even under those labels/ orientations such as queers, questioning, asexuals and so on as ones identify is unique to their own.

to choose some word that doesn't exclude anybody including everything a-z one shouldn't use letters that represents only a fraction of the population thats my logic.
I agree.

There's a deaf club at NTID that did the same thing.

The old name used to be... DEAF GLO (Deaf Gay Lesbian Organization).

They felt that the title seemed to focus only on gays and lesbians. They wanted something that was more public-friendly. So, they changed the name...

Now, it's SPECTRUM. I actually like that name better. :)

Hello all I'm a Gay Christian Male who recently found out, that I am loosing my hearing due to a sever TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) from a automobile accident and bicycle accident. I've been classified as being hard of hearing, and have been told my hearing is going to get worse. How much and when, I'm not sure. This is scary for me and pose's a severe challenge for me. I'm seeking someone who is of the same sex, and is hard of hearing or deaf. I am currently learning more ASL (American Sign Language) so that I'm better prepared to communicate between me and that person and that when ever the rest of my hearing goes, I could communicate to others. I also want to be adaptable in commuting with the same sex person. I believe and feel if I'm going to be in a long term relationship of the same sex, I should be with some one that has similar hearing impairments so that we both would relate to our challenges and that there would be a better chemistry between us. If you are interested please message or email me. Thank you and may God Bless... :)

Last edited:
wow i'm worried that no one has replied to my post, kinda scary. i kinda feel that i'm, all alone in this world...

Last edited:
I agree.

There's a deaf club at NTID that did the same thing.

The old name used to be... DEAF GLO (Deaf Gay Lesbian Organization).

They felt that the title seemed to focus only on gays and lesbians. They wanted something that was more public-friendly. So, they changed the name...

Now, it's SPECTRUM. I actually like that name better. :)

Spectrum is nice, but it seems like it could be confusing?

I would suggest a good name change would be to just Queer.
Queer has come to include everyone - gay, lesbian, bi, trans, asexual...basically EVERYTHING that isn't cisgender and hetero

And if cisgender hetero folk feel excluded...I'm not TERRIBLY concerned :3

I think those who want a name change or are offended by it, are injecting their own bias and perspective onto a title that has no such intended implications. It seems quite obvious that the forum is to discuss anything related to LGBT world and experience. There is no malice intended in the title. Ask Alex. If you feel there is, maybe you have gone a little overboard on the PC spectrum. In that case I should be offended because there is no "D, A or N" in the title. Where multiple terms have same or similar meeting.
For those who are offended, get over yourself. Those who complain the most usually have the least to complain about!

konxtn, people probably haven't responded because they don't specifically into what you asked for. Hang around and read and post in the other threads and we'll help you feel less alone.

Given that All Deaf is far from an inclusive title, I guess that means it needs to be changed.
;-)

I'm straight; you're not. So what?
I'm straight; my grandchild is gay. So what?
I'm straight; my grandchild loves a deaf gay. So what?
I'm straight; I've had LGBT friends most of my 70+ years. Now what do I do?. They want to live we me, I don't pretend to understand their lifestyle; I accept it. I need help. Who do I turn to?

You are not alone!

wow i'm worried that no one has replied to my post, kinda scary. i kinda feel that i'm, all alone in this world...

Do you TTY? Is there a deaf group in Knoxville? If you don't know, someone in this group will know. I don't live in TN. It is hard to accept loss of a sense when you are so young. It's easier for me as I am a lot older than you.

Do you have aids? Do they help? Have you looked into C I and surgery to see if it will help you?

Alldeaf is a really great place to learn all the things you really don't know or understand yet. Take one small step at a time, and one day at a time; you'll be fine.

Straight people have their own spaces...it's quite literally everywhere else. This entire forum has sections that are populated with straight people. Sure the gay people here have the ability to venture into those forums and post, but they understand that their opinions may not be as well received as they will be in here. So I think the same thing should be said for straight people coming in here. They should feel as though they are guests in our house. So they should be polite and respectful, like you would expect a guest to be.

The OP comment almost smacks of straight fragility. Like, "how dare you not be welcoming and encouraging and caring about my support for you." Well, we do care, and it's appreciated, but this space is about us. Not about you. You have the entire rest of the forum to be happy and comfortable in. Let the gay people here feel happy and comfortable posting here with like minded people without having to worry about your feeling of exclusion. Welcome to our everyday lives.

instead of expanding the acronym, we could just go with LGBT+ or LGBTQ+ if people are worried about including all queer identities. it's shorter and simpler. however, there is no reason to change the name to include heteros.

Lysander:thumb:

straight people already have privilege everywhere...as do hearings already everywhere...etc...people who have been marginalized need a space to be in of their own

As should have been a long time ago.
Hey AC. I don't know precisely what I did to cause such a level of disdain for me in your heart, but whatever it is, I apologize. You obviously dislike me. And if I did something I'd appreciate you letting me know so I can apologize for it specifically.

If it's because I'm a hearing person on a Deaf forum, well there's nothing I can do about that. That has to do with your heart not mine.

I don't know. I'd love some enlightenment. But that's not your responsibility. I'd rather you just ignore me if you dislike me, but it's whatever. You do you. I'll do me.

Not because you're hearing. I have many hearing friends on this forum, and respect for them. The same they do for me.

Back