Gas

The*Empress

Reaction score
So why cars need gas, if we got batteries?

Does the car have lighter which ignite the gas to make the car go?

Is there any other way to make the car go, without have to use
gas and oil or any other fuels?

How about a computer car, or a satellite car or something like that?

would you like a computer car such as this?

Car.jpg

Miss*Pinocchio said:

What a strange question. You made it sound like the cars are toys....just like toy cars with keys on them to make them run. LOL

BTW, if you light a match to the gas in the car, it could make the car blow up. Haven't you thought of that? LOL

Miss*Pinocchio said:
would you like a computer car such as this?

Car.jpg

Very cool! :) Have you seen the 1980s show "Knight Rider"? That show starred a computer car. There are some cars out there with computerized dashes out now. :)

um, you would need to research. You got 2 college degrees and you know how to research to answer why cars run on gas and not on batteries. There are many different answers, and there is no real fact.

Actually there are cars on today's market that run on batteries, or hybrid cars which run on both gas and batteries. Haven't you heard of electric cars? Of course, you have to keep the cars plugged in for power, which is why I prefer hybrid versions of cars. The batteries keep getting re-powered by itself on its own. One hybrid car can go about 700 miles on a full tank.

With such cars on the market, you would think that the government is pushing for the car industry to convert to these. Of course, the government would never dream of forcing people to switch to electric or hybrid cars, because it would mean cutting profits for gas/oil industries. The gas/oil industries have quite too powerful lobbying groups in Washington.

Battery powered cars are worse for the environment than combustion engines.

Let's ask ourselves some questions.

Where does the electricity to charge the car come from?
- Power plants.

What do power plants use to generate their power?
- Gas, oil, coal, nuclear fuel, water, wind.

Where does most of the power in the U.S. come from?
- Gas & coal power plants.

Can batteries be recharged indefinitely?
- No.

What happens when the batteries can't be charged any more?
- They have to be disposed of, and they are highly toxic.

Where does the stuff to build batteries come from?
- Raw materials from the earth, just like everything else in the world.

After asking myself these questions, I've decided that the answer is to continue our research with hydrogen cars and to develop cleaner and more efficient gasoline engines.

They're starting to make Hybrid cars that is based on batteries.. I think.. I'm not familiar with Hybrid cars but just from what I've heard thru friends.

$2.54
$2.63
$2.81
San Fransisico Bay Area.

Don't complain that you have the car compared with the African people have no cars at all. Also in European gas is charged something like 2,67 Euro for a Liter and that is almost $6.50 per gallon and please don't complain again.

You gotta blame the Texas people that discovered about the Oils in Texas and that is 99.9% reason we went for the gasoline for the auto market. If not for the oils in Texas and we would go for Hydros, Steam, and Bio-powered cars.

It's not just the fact that there was oil in Texas & Oklahoma. There's a reason we continue to buy crude oil from OPEC countries for refinement.

And that is:
Gasoline does not take up a lot of space, but releases enormous amounts of energy upon combustion.

This is real fact! You got everything RIGHT and hard! Actually Electric car were invented befoe gasoline cars were even invented! The real reason why electric cars died before gas got popularity is that with electric, you need to recharge minimum 16 hours just to drive about for up to 2 hours! That is no way to have long distance traveling. I know today's battery can take recharged in shorter time and last longer between the charging. BUT still, at least three dangers creep out of electric cars is that when get into accident, acid spills will be all over, will do damage to road, human, and any living things because they do corrode into skins and other things, second danger is electric shock, suppose you had accident and that high voltage cable got shorted on frame and your gonna get good shock. Finally third danger is battery don't last longer than 5 years, thus will have impact on landfill or disposal.
There is NO easy solution, those environmist pounders for more environment friendly designs. They have no clue to engineering limitations! There are finite limitation what we can take out from any form of energy. It is impossible to take more energy out of something that have x amount of energy. Now you noticed that we havent improved the mileage on cars. That is because we actually at the energy limit that gasoline can provide.

I hope Hydrogen would be good solution. There is research center for this kind of engine just about 40 miles from where I live! If it was successfully, then Im gonna stay where I am.

Pvt. Parts said:
Battery powered cars are worse for the environment than combustion engines.

Let's ask ourselves some questions.

Where does the electricity to charge the car come from?
- Power plants.

What do power plants use to generate their power?
- Gas, oil, coal, nuclear fuel, water, wind.

Where does most of the power in the U.S. come from?
- Gas & coal power plants.

Can batteries be recharged indefinitely?
- No.

What happens when the batteries can't be charged any more?
- They have to be disposed of, and they are highly toxic.

Where does the stuff to build batteries come from?
- Raw materials from the earth, just like everything else in the world.

After asking myself these questions, I've decided that the answer is to continue our research with hydrogen cars and to develop cleaner and more efficient gasoline engines.

Almost correct. There are factors to why we get oil from OPEC, don't you know we buy from them, then refine them and sell some refined oil products back to them? They don't have their own refinery!

The reason for various locations is that there are different kinds of oil coming out of the well, some suitable for gasoline, while others aren't suitable for gasoline but can be used as asphalt road, plastic products, etc.

Pvt. Parts said:
It's not just the fact that there was oil in Texas & Oklahoma. There's a reason we continue to buy crude oil from OPEC countries for refinement.

And that is:
Gasoline does not take up a lot of space, but releases enormous amounts of energy upon combustion.

Okay, here is concept that you MIGHT be able to understand. The engine in car runs much like how you powered your bicycle! You see, there are cylinders in the motor, we need to mix gas and oxygen first in carburator, then dump that mixed fuel into cylinder, and compress them to the point where it becomes very explosive then spark plugs fire sparks. Guess what happen? KABOOOM! those explosion push the piston downward then the next cylinder same cycle the kaboom push down the piston, and so on. Just the same way you would push the pedal on bicycle to get your bike moving. Now you notice why we need muffler, that is to shut up that kabooms in cylinders!

That is very basic concept how the engine works. There is more than that to get your car running.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
So why cars need gas, if we got batteries?

Is there any other way to make the car go, without have to use
gas and oil or any other fuels?

How about a computer car, or a satellite car or something like that?

No! Oil is NOT discovered in Texas! Shame on you for spreading wrong information on oil history! No!!! It is Titusville, PA! It has nick name of Oil City, PA! Titusville, PA is located near Erie, PA. You can read history on Titusville, PA the Drake brothers who first found "black gold" in creek, and decided to drill well, and that drill isn't really deep, and they hit "black gold".

Crazymanw00t said:
$2.54
$2.63
$2.81
San Fransisico Bay Area.

Don't complain that you have the car compared with the African people have no cars at all. Also in European gas is charged something like 2,67 Euro for a Liter and that is almost $6.50 per gallon and please don't complain again.

You gotta blame the Texas people that discovered about the Oils in Texas and that is 99.9% reason we went for the gasoline for the auto market. If not for the oils in Texas and we would go for Hydros, Steam, and Bio-powered cars.

Crazymanw00t said:
$2.54
$2.63
$2.81
San Fransisico Bay Area.

And... Bush is from Texas. So, he's probably making a profit by raising the nation's own gas prices. ;) Heh!

Everything can be made dangerous. That's what gives us power. Where the hell can we get harmless energy? All forms of energy is dangerous. It's just a matter of how it's done. Gas? Simply light it up and it blows up. Nuclear? If it gets too hot, KABOOM... a nuclear explosion. Electric? A explosion could be small, but wipe out all electrical currents in the area rendering them useless. Hydrogen? It's cheap and air, but can have the same effect as an atomic bomb or worse.

Nuclear don't go kaboom. They just swell with intense heat.
I mean very rapidly swelling.
Electric can zap anyone's life in matter of just less than half of second!

I don't know about hydrogen fuel cell but as form of gas, it is HIGHLY flammable. Don't you remember the Heinsburg (Spelling) blimpe filled with Hydrogen caught fire and its gone in no time right before landing in NJ from Germany.

There are plenty of harmless energy. Human that runs energy from food. Is food harmful? Water fall, we can get energy from water fall, where is the harm in water fall?

VamPyroX said:
Everything can be made dangerous. That's what gives us power. Where the hell can we get harmless energy? All forms of energy is dangerous. It's just a matter of how it's done. Gas? Simply light it up and it blows up. Nuclear? If it gets too hot, KABOOM... a nuclear explosion. Electric? A explosion could be small, but wipe out all electrical currents in the area rendering them useless. Hydrogen? It's cheap and air, but can have the same effect as an atomic bomb or worse.

diehardbiker65 said:
I hope Hydrogen would be good solution. There is research center for this kind of engine just about 40 miles from where I live! If it was successfully, then Im gonna stay where I am.

The problem with hydrogen is that there isn't enough of it found naturally in nature to meet our consumption levels, therefore it must be extracted from water by splitting atoms to isolate hydrogen atoms.

To do this requires enormous amounts of energy to split the atoms and then keep the hydrogen cold enough to keep it in a liquid state.

Those are some serious limitation to the development of hydrogen-powered cars.

VamPyroX said:
Hydrogen? It's cheap and air, but can have the same effect as an atomic bomb or worse.

Not exactly true.

Only 2 isotopes of hydrogen will can produce nuclear fusion, the type of reaction we see with thermonuclear weapons.. Deuterium (1 extra neutron) & Tritium (2 extra neutrons).

Protium (normal) hydrogen, as we saw the Hindenburg & the Challenger disaster, will simply burn rapidly or explode. It just depends how densely it is packed.

diehardbiker65 said:
No! Oil is NOT discovered in Texas! Shame on you for spreading wrong information on oil history! No!!! It is Titusville, PA! It has nick name of Oil City, PA! Titusville, PA is located near Erie, PA. You can read history on Titusville, PA the Drake brothers who first found "black gold" in creek, and decided to drill well, and that drill isn't really deep, and they hit "black gold".

The History Channel told me. Can you blame to the History Channel for its mistake?

Crazym00t.. made me lauff'n every minutes.. you must be watching t.v. history channel too much!...

In my mind, wishes that production would be great making "oc2 or water" as condiser for fuel instead of gas.. Expense lot of money..

Battery needs re-charging...up to 8 hours.. then travelling 700 miles.. then staying motel to plug it fill up another one.. Too much hassle TOTALLY wasting time..

Want stay contuine driving travelling more than 1k miles instead of 700 miles.. (hmmmmmm) For example... East Coast to West Coast as dead end.. will meet your hybird car may fill up the battery as re-charging.. 700 miles.. might be about 1 week to meet dead ends. (hmmmmmmmm)
Dissuss ?

Back