Gas

sequoias said:
They're working on hydrogen cars in mass production scale in near future, I think. The biodiesel/vegetable oil powered diesel is getting popular now....it's cleaner than regular diesel fuel and vegetable oil is cheaper because u use vegetable oil waste from the fast food restaurants and you need a convertion equipment installed in a diesel powered car and it will run vegetable oil no problem. ;)

Very cool! Vegetable oil?! We don't need to eat that stuff anyway. ;)
I imagine that the commodity on vegetable oil is going to be a rich one for investors in the future. I just hope it doesn't run out, and can replace itself easily. It was totally a mistake to rely on a limited supply of crude oil. We can learn from that mistake.

Olive oil. Yummy.

Liza said:
Very cool! Vegetable oil?! We don't need to eat that stuff anyway. ;)
I imagine that the commodity on vegetable oil is going to be a rich one for investors in the future. I just hope it doesn't run out, and can replace itself easily. It was totally a mistake to rely on a limited supply of crude oil. We can learn from that mistake.

Olive oil. Yummy.

vegetable oil comes from the farm and it becomes oil and the waste from the vegetable oil from the fast food restaurants becomes perfect solution for diesel powered cars. Raw vegetable oil doesn't work, the chemistry in it changes after you cook it in the fryer at the restaurant. Biodiesel comes the farm, too. Different kind of chemistry but it cost a lot and may get cheaper as it gets more popular, 25 million gallons of biodiesel have been used last year up from just 100,000 gallons in 1995.

Nesmuth said:
Vegie oil is like $8 a gallon.

Richard

Nope, .you pick the USED vegetable oil at a local fast food restaurant for free or charge for cheap...not $8 per gallon. All you need is the $2,000 worth of equipment installed on your diesel car to run on veggie oil. Veggie oil is not biodiesel. Biodiesel runs around $3-4 per gallon currently.

Guess I go get Crisco for my car. :)

I wonder if Vegetable Oil is good for RVs Motor Home, so that
I can travel from state to state in that thing...

I hope I don't pay $400 of gas to drive RV's Motor Home.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Guess I go get Crisco for my car. :)

I wonder if Vegetable Oil is good for RVs Motor Home, so that
I can travel from state to state in that thing...

I hope I don't pay $400 of gas to drive RV's Motor Home.

raw vegetable oil will not work. It has to be the veggie oil that IS used, not fresh raw...cooked AFTER broiling in fries, deep frying stuff from the restaurants, not the ones u buy at the store. The chemistry changes when it's used, and it works better in diesel engines. Yes, you can get a diesel powered RV, as long you get a conversion equipment installed to run on vegetable oil.

sequoias said:
Nope, .you pick the USED vegetable oil at a local fast food restaurant for free or charge for cheap...not $8 per gallon. All you need is the $2,000 worth of equipment installed on your diesel car to run on veggie oil. Veggie oil is not biodiesel. Biodiesel runs around $3-4 per gallon currently.

Considering the the cost of the equipment you need to make it work, its still 8 bucks a gallon whether the oil comes from the cornfields or the burger joint.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Considering the the cost of the equipment you need to make it work, its still 8 bucks a gallon whether the oil comes from the cornfields or the burger joint.

Richard

How did you figure out the $8 per gallon thing. Tell me your math.. :P

Sequoias, all Nesmuth has going for him with his comment is the cost of the equipment which I understand is around 2 thousand bucks which is not a lot of money. The pay-back time would be short and the rest is gravy. Wish there was a way I could have a little oven to make my cheeseburgers as I whizz down the road! ;) :giggle:

Your correct. Don't you all know how refinery changed crude oil to gasoline? The answer is pretty simple. Refineries cooks them and they turns into gasoline!
Same concept with veggie oil, they have to be cooked first before they becomes energy potentials.

sequoias said:
raw vegetable oil will not work. It has to be the veggie oil that IS used, not fresh raw...cooked AFTER broiling in fries, deep frying stuff from the restaurants, not the ones u buy at the store. The chemistry changes when it's used, and it works better in diesel engines. Yes, you can get a diesel powered RV, as long you get a conversion equipment installed to run on vegetable oil.

sequoias said:
How did you figure out the $8 per gallon thing. Tell me your math.. :P

The first gallon you use would cost $2,000 and as you go on the road as long you keep the car running it'll go down and I dont think it'l ever go below $8 a gallon as the competiton for free used oil will be as bloody as farmers fighting for free elephant manure from the circus.

Richard

Back