• RIT

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • NTID

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
Deaf258 said:
I wonder who is the fourth and fifth Deaf college/university??

I was a fourth year, and managed to graduated during that year as planned. I think it's quite common to see 5th year students at gally, mainly because of the financing they get from their VR I think - and also some of 'em took a lot of remedial classes during the first year.

I think it's great that some of you are dedicated to doing what is right for you - transferring to RIT or wherever fits you better.

Gally will always be my alma mater. :)

Deaf258 said:
I wonder who is the fourth and fifth Deaf college/university??
I don't think there really is a 4th or 5th "deaf college"... :dunno: Everywhere I go, I hear "NTID", "Gallaudet", and "CSUN".

VamPyroX said:
I don't think there really is a 4th or 5th "deaf college"... :dunno: Everywhere I go, I hear "NTID", "Gallaudet", and "CSUN".

CSUN isnt deaf college more like both hearing and deaf college.

You can't call RIT a deaf college!

You can only get an AA from NTID.

Galludet is the only university that you HAVE TO BE DEAF in order to be in their 4-year degree program. However, they still have hearing people in their graduate program.

So, NO university is PURELY a deaf college.

CSUN's still the best! :D

Gally Vs Rit

Dennis said:

Galludet is the only university that you HAVE TO BE DEAF in order to be in their 4-year degree program. However, they still have hearing people in their graduate program.

CSUN's still the best!

MANY PROS AND CONS HERE. I AM A GALLY GRAD SO I AM BIASED! IN FAVOR OF GALLAUDET.I WILL BE FOREVER BE GRATEFUL TO GALLAUDET CUZ IT WAS THERE I LEARNED WHAT IT TRULY MEANS TO BE DEAF CUZ I CAME FROM A HEARING BACKGROUND. ITS TRUE THAT THERE IS NO MORE 100% DEAF UNIVERSITY BUT IN MY EXPERIENCE DEAF AND HEARIES DONT MIX VERY MUCH AT GALLAUDET . FOR AN EDUCATION IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT U WANT AND MANY YOUNG PEOPLE REALLY HAVE NO CLUE AT AGE 18-19 ETC. I SURE AS HELL DIDNT WHEN I WAS THAT AGE. IT WONT HURT TO GO TO GALLY FOR SAY 2 YEARS. YOU CAN ALWAYS GO TO RIT (NTID) OR CSUN. PERSONALLY I'M NOT TOO IMPRESSED WITH CSUN BUT THAT'S ME. ITS JUST A BIG WIDE OPEN HEARIE CAMPUS. NO DEAF DORMS ETC LIKE NTID. WHEN I VISITED MOST DEAFIES LIVED IN APTS OFF CAMPUS. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT U WANT. IF U WANNA BE A TEACHER OR SOCIAL WORKER GO TO GALLAUDET. COMPUTERS-GALLY IS FINE I HEAR. RIT-NTID HAS BOB DAVILA AND AS AN EDUCATOR THERE IS NOBODY LIKE DAVILA. NOBODY COMES CLOSE!! IF YOU CAN PUT UP WITH THE ROCHESTER WEATHER-GO!!
CSUN PROBABLY GETS LOTS OF THEIR STUDENTS CUZ VOC.REHAB WONT PAY FOR CALIF STUDENTS TO GO TO GALLY! IS THIS STILL TRUE??? WHY HASNT SOMEONE SUED THEIR ASS?????? WAY IT WORKS I THINK IS THAT ITS NOT OFFICIAL POLICY BUT INDIVIDUAL VR COUNSELORS IN CALIF WONT APROVE OF A CASE TO SEND THEIR CLIENTS TO GALLAUDET. ANYONE WANNA UPDATE ME ON THIS-FEEL FREE!!

CSUN is not nothing but hearing school.

Facts:

CSUN have a dorm building for deafies and hearings who are in deaf studies major. CSUN is really huge school and there weren't enough dorms for MANY students (included hearings) so a lot of them ended up living in the apartments. There were a lot of nice apt buildings around the campus. So, my VR knew about the situation and supported that, helped to pay some of my rent.

In case you didn't know, NCOD- National Center on Deafness- http://ncod.csun.edu/ CSUN provided a building for NCOD where all deafies meet up for events or appointments with counselors who knew sign language, signing up for interpreter, notetaking, captioning set ups. NCOD had a lot of connections with other deaf organiaztions where they always informed at NCOD or mass-email about upcoming deaf events or sign-up courses, etc. They have their own deaf library and several classrooms for deaf students only. CSUN have some deaf professors, also.

I never heard of that kind of problem with California state VR, some people who are from Cali got VR supported to go to CSUN. Sure, my VR couraged me to go to Gally or RIT a few times, I wasn't interest in them.

CSUN is a large school, it has just about every kind of majors including educations, social workers, psychology, astronomy (sp?), health and so on. Especially one major- I majored in art, which is in my opnion wasn't as good as other art schools I've attended. So, that's a big part of reason I left.

CSUN have deaf sorority and fratnerity. They had weekly events at NCOD or outside campus at deaf sorority/fratnerity's houses.

Some famous people graduated or attended there, too!

So, I guess that's about it.

Dennis said:

CSUN's still the best! :D
If you can get a degree of any kind, then it's considered a college. They have community colleges that give out 2-year degrees. Second of all, RIT isn't a deaf college. RIT is a full institute/university that has 8 colleges within: College of Applied Science & Technology, College of Business, College of Computing & Information Sciences, College of Engineering, College of Imaging Arts & Sciences, College of Liberal Arts, College of NTID, and College of Science. NTID does have hearing students who are interpreter majors. They also offer special graduate programs for those who want to get their masters degree. NTID also gives students an option of switching from associates to pre-bachelors so they can easily and quickly transfer to RIT and complete for a bachelors.

e said:
CSUN is not nothing but hearing school.
RIT is the same thing. A hearing college.
e said:
CSUN have a dorm building for deafies and hearings who are in deaf studies major. CSUN is really huge school and there weren't enough dorms for MANY students (included hearings) so a lot of them ended up living in the apartments. There were a lot of nice apt buildings around the campus. So, my VR knew about the situation and supported that, helped to pay some of my rent.
RIT has the same thing. RIT has 4 major dormitories and 9 minor dormitories. They also offer special areas in dorms: Lifestyle Floors, 21 & Over Floors, Alcohol/Substance Free Floors, Intensified Study Floor, Non-Smoking Floor/Building, and Wellness Floor. They also have special sections of floors for special interest groups: Business Leaders of Tomorrow, Art House, Computer Science House, Engineering House, House of General Science, International House, Photo House, and Unity House. They also have a couple buildings with Greeks living there too.
e said:
In case you didn't know, NCOD- National Center on Deafness- http://ncod.csun.edu/ CSUN provided a building for NCOD where all deafies meet up for events or appointments with counselors who knew sign language, signing up for interpreter, notetaking, captioning set ups. NCOD had a lot of connections with other deaf organiaztions where they always informed at NCOD or mass-email about upcoming deaf events or sign-up courses, etc. They have their own deaf library and several classrooms for deaf students only. CSUN have some deaf professors, also.
NTID is similar. They have emergency loans services, interpreter services, equipment services, computer labs, hearing aid place, etc. They also have an interpreter services department on the other side of campus. They have sub-groups of interpreters for various majors (each of the 8 colleges on campus). They also provide various "NTID Section" courses, which is RIT class but with all deaf students. We also have a deaf teacher who teaches hearing classes. I had her 3 times already, she's nice.
e said:
I never heard of that kind of problem with California state VR, some people who are from Cali got VR supported to go to CSUN. Sure, my VR couraged me to go to Gally or RIT a few times, I wasn't interest in them.
RIT provides various types of loans and financial aid. They even have a financial aid counselor for NTID students. A lot of NTID students here have VR support. Some of them fuck up in school, so they lose VR support and end up leaving school.
e said:
CSUN is a large school, it has just about every kind of majors including educations, social workers, psychology, astronomy (sp?), health and so on. Especially one major- I majored in art, which is in my opnion wasn't as good as other art schools I've attended. So, that's a big part of reason I left.
We've got just about every major there is: art, psychology, criminal justice, chemistry, food & services, travel, astronomy, social work, secondary education, hotel management, nuclear medicine, biology, business, programming, computer graphics, photography, etc. That's why RIT has 8 colleges within (like I said in my recent post).
e said:
CSUN have deaf sorority and fratnerity. They had weekly events at NCOD or outside campus at deaf sorority/fratnerity's houses.
Whew! We've got deaf fraternities and sororities too. We've got Alpha Sigma Theta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Delta Sigma Phi, Kappa Phi Theta, and Sigma Nu. We've also got hearing fraternities and sororities. Delta Sigma Phi and Sigma Sigma Sigma have their own "floor". ("floor" is like having a dormitory-house.) 3 other hearing fraternities and 1 hearing sorority also have a "floor". There's also 6 houses on campus: 4 occupied by hearing fraternities and 2 occupied by hearing sororities.
e said:
Some famous people graduated or attended there, too!
I can't list any famous people since I'm not completely familiar with RIT's history... but we have had a lot of famous people come to our college. We had Hillary Clinton visit. We also had Thomas Golisano (donated and supported the College of Computing & Information Sciences), Louis Slaughter (donated and supported the program for military weapons research. psst, they're working on a military jet right now! :eek: they also worked a couple years ago on a military hummer to improve its onboard computer systems.), George Tenet (Director of CIA) came for the commencement speech, and various other people. We are also a source of donations. Kodak donated money to rebuild a part of the walkway to honor Kodak's 100-year anniversary. ESPN donated money to completely renovate the RITZ (food area) including an on-campus ESPN-Zone television broadcasting show/station. One guy donated money to have a multi-million dollar abstract craft built at the front. It stands so tall that it can be seen from away from campus. A group of alumnus donated money to have a super-sized gym building added to a smaller gym/workout building we already had. It is currently being worked on but will be done by the end of Spring or Summer. The donations list goes on and on. Heh!

Does this make you wanna come to RIT now? ;)

Heard thru the grapevine that CSUN is facing serious issues with the interpreters.... more of shortage of interpreters is that true?

Cricket said:
Heard thru the grapevine that CSUN is facing serious issues with the interpreters.... more of shortage of interpreters is that true?
I'm not surprised about that. It's not the government's fault... it's because less people are becoming interpreters.

Some of you asked about famous CSUN alumnus.

CSUN finally finished updating it's alumnus pages. Some notable NON-ENTERTAINMENT (i.e. business, political, teachers, media, etc.) people:
http://www.csun.edu/~pubrels/alums/alumni.htm
Stephen Bollenbach, CEO of Hilton Hotels
Dirk Gates, Founder, Xircom Networking Products Company
Scott Horowitz, NASA Space Shuttle Astronaut
Daniel Chernow, Executive Director, UCLA School Management Program
Linda Lingle, Governor of Hawaii
Adam Kennedy, Anaheim Angels, Second Baseman (World Series winner)

However, the most exciting part of CSUN is the number of alumnus who go on to successful careers in the entertainment business:
http://www.csun.edu/~pubrels/alums/alumni2.htm
Deanne Bray, Television Actor, "Sue Thomas F.B.Eye"
Richard Dreyfuss, Academy Award-Winning Actor in "The Goodbye Girl." Also in "Jaws," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," "American Graffiti," "Mr. Holland's Opus"
Helen Hunt, Academy & Emmy Award-Winning Actor
Cheech Marin, Actor, "Nash Bridges" & "Cheech & Chong" Movies
Paula Abdul, Award-Winning Choreographer, Actress and Singer
Don Hahn, Executive Producer of “The Lion King” and Other Disney Animated Features

Back