Not open for further replies.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
Source is Gallup:

February 1, 2010
Party ID: Despite GOP Gains, Most States Remain Blue
Massachusetts, Rhode Island most Democratic; Utah, Wyoming most Republican

PRINCETON, NJ -- Rhode Island and Massachusetts -- along with the District of Columbia -- were the most Democratic U.S. states in 2009, based on their residents' stated political affiliations. Wyoming and Utah ranked as the two most Republican states in the nation.

Top 10 Democratic States

% Democratic minus % Republican/Lean Republican
Top 10 Democratic States,
STATE Democratic advantage, pct.pts.

Washtington DC: 66
Rhode Island: 32
Massachusetts 29
Maryland 27
Vermont 27
Hawaii 27
New York 23
Illinois 23
Connecticut 22
Delaware 22

Delaware 22

2009 Top 10 Republican States, 2009

STATE Democratic advantage pct. pts.

Wyoming -22
Utah -21
Alaska -15
Idaho -15
Alabama -6
Montana -3
Nebraska -3
Mississippi -2
Texas -1
North Dakota -1
Kanas -1

These results are based on aggregated data from Gallup Daily tracking in 2009, including interviews with more than 350,000 adults in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia. Gallup conducted at least 1,000 interviews in every state except Wyoming (878), North Dakota (968), Delaware (997), and the District of Columbia (632). Gallup interviewed more than 20,000 residents each in California, Texas, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Nationwide, party support shifted in a slightly more Republican direction in 2009 after a historically strong Democratic year in 2008. Overall, 49% of Americans in 2009 identified as Democrats or said they were independent but leaned to the Democratic Party, while 41% identified as Republicans or were Republican-leaning independents. That 8-point Democratic advantage compares to a 12-point, 52% to 40%, Democratic advantage in 2008.

Thus, even with the reduction in Democratic strength, the party still maintained a solid advantage over the Republicans nationally last year. It follows, then, that most states continued to be Democratic in their political orientation. (A table showing the full data for each state appears at the end of the article.)

It is important to note that the classification of states reported here is based on the political affiliations of all residents, and does not necessarily indicate how a state might vote in a given election. Also, the partisanship figures include independents who have a partisan leaning with each party's core identifiers. This makes the states more comparable because the percentage of independents varies widely by state, and can understate a party's true strength in a state.

NOTE: I'm unable to link to graphic so you'll need to use the link that I provided earlier in this post.

In total, 23 states plus the District of Columbia can be classified as solidly Democratic, with a 10 percentage-point or greater advantage in party affiliation in favor of the Democrats. This includes most of the Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions, most of the Great Lakes region, and the Pacific Coast.

Another 10 states can be considered Democratic leaning, in which the state's Democratic supporters outnumber Republican supporters by at least 5 percentage points but less than 10 points. These are Missouri, Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida, New Hampshire, Virginia, Colorado, Nevada, Indiana, and Tennessee.

Four states are solidly Republican, with a better than 10-point advantage in Republican affiliation -- Wyoming, Utah, Alaska, and Idaho. Alabama qualifies as the lone Republican-leaning state, with a 6-point advantage in Republican affiliation.

That leaves 12 states that are competitive, with less than a 5-point advantage for either party. Among these 13 states, 6 tilt in a Republican direction: Montana, Nebraska, Mississippi, Texas, North Dakota, and Kansas. Six tilt toward the Democratic Party: Georgia, South Dakota, Louisiana, Arizona, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.

As at the national level, most of the states showed movement in the Republican direction in 2009, with a reduction of the Democratic advantage in 39 states and the District of Columbia. The greatest movement toward the GOP occurred in the District of Columbia, Ohio, Louisiana, Montana, and Hawaii. Seven states showed at least a slight increase in the Democratic advantage, while four states showed no change.

Changes in Democratic Advantage by State, 2008 vs. 2009

pct. pts. pct.pts.
Demo. adv 08 Demo. adv. 09 Change 08 to 09

Washington D.C.: 75 66 -9

Ohio 18 10 -8

Hawaii 34 27 -7

Louisiana 9 2 -7

Montana 4 -3 -7

Iowa 18 12 -6

Maine 19 13 -6

Vermont 33 27 -6

Winconsin 18 12 -6

Massachusetts 34 29 -5

New Hampshire 13 8 -5

Alabama -1 -6 -5

Rhode Island 37 32 -5

Nevada 11 7 -5

Oklahoma 6 1 -5

Kentucky 13 9 -4

Colorado 11 7 -4

Alaska -11 -15 -4

Connecticut 26 22 -4

Pennsylvania 16 12 -4

New York 27 23 -4

Mississippi 1 -2 -3

Texas 2 -1 -3

Indiana 9 6 -3

Minnesota 15 12 -3

Washington 17 15 -2

Arkansas 12 10 -2

Michigan 17 15 -2

North Dakota 1 -1 -2

Virginia 9 7 -2

North Carolina 11 10 -2

Wyoming -20 -22 -2

Florida 9 8 -1

Missouri 11 8 -1

New Jersey 19 18 -1

Delaware 23 22 -1

Illinois 24 23 -1

Georgia 4 3 -1

New Mexico 14 13 -1

Oregon 17 16 -1

Tennessee 5 5 0

West Virgina 19 19 0

Idaho -15 -15 0

South Carolina 0 0 0

Utah -23 -21 2

South Dakota 1 3 2

Arizona 0 2 2

Nebraska -7 -3 4

But these shifts were generally not large enough to fundamentally shake up the political map. In fact, the total number of Republican-leaning or solid Republican states was unchanged from the prior year. Rather, in 2009, there was an increase in competitive states and Democratic-leaning states, and a reduction in the number of solidly Democratic states, from 30 to 24.

NOTE: I was unable to provide graphic here. you'll need to see above link for it.

The lists of top 10 Democratic and Republican states were also generally similar in 2008 and 2009. The membership of the 10 most Democratic states was the same in 2009 as in 2008, with a minor shuffling of the order of these. The District of Columbia, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts topped the Democratic list in both years.

Last year, Utah ranked ahead of Wyoming as the most Republican state, but this year Wyoming has a slight edge. Arizona and South Carolina were among the top 10 Republican states in 2008 but were just outside the top 10 list in 2009. Texas is new to the list of top 10 Republican states.

Despite the modest shift toward a decreased affiliation with the Democratic Party and an increased affiliation with the Republican Party in 2009 compared to 2008, the United States remained a Democratically oriented nation last year. In all, 33 states and the District of Columbia were either solidly Democratic or leaning Democratic in terms of the political party leanings of their residents. Twelve states were fairly evenly balanced between Democratic and Republican supporters, and 5 states were solidly or leaning Republican.

Survey Methods

Results are based on telephone interviews with 353,849 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted in 2009 as part of Gallup Poll Daily tracking. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±1 percentage point.

The margin of error for most states is ±2 percentage points, but is as high as ±4 percentage points for Delaware, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, and the District of Columbia. For the most populous states, the margin of error is ±1 percentage point.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on land-line telephones and cellular phones.

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

Here's a link to the rest of the stats which counts states that leans democratic, percentage point and numbers of interviews in each state.

From what I see, the GOP is making only modest gains despite all the hype. This doesn't bode well for the near future for the GOP though things can change in the future.

Source is Gallup:

Here's a link to the rest of the stats which counts states that leans democratic, percentage point and numbers of interviews in each state.

From what I see, the GOP is making only modest gains despite all the hype. This doesn't bode well for the near future for the GOP though things can change in the future.

I think the GOP will take the modest gains.......Polls are looking good too.

I think the GOP will take the modest gains.......Polls are looking good too.

Someone whose name I won't mention seemed to think they'd do better. I expected something like this.

Last edited:
GOP will go down in anytime, look at 2006 midterm election.

So is Dem in 1994 midterm election.

Someone whose name I won't mention seemed to think they'd do better. I expected something like this.

Expected something like what??????

I simply said the GOP I am sure is happy with their gains to this point.

As for the polling it does look promising for the GOP as shown in the link below. The link updates daily based on the latest polls. You stated things do not bode well for the GOP. I believe the polls state otherwise. I guess we will have to wait for November to know for sure. I certainly hopr the GOP sticks to message and doesn't get overconfident though.

Election Projection: 2010 Elections, House Projections

Either parties aren't going to make the country a better place to live. It's the same old, old crap, only they keep repackaging it.

As for the polling it does look promising for the GOP as shown in the link below. The link updates daily based on the latest polls. You stated things do not bode well for the GOP. I believe the polls state otherwise. I guess we will have to wait for November to know for sure. I certainly hopr the GOP sticks to message and doesn't get overconfident though.

Election Projection: 2010 Elections, House Projections[/QUOTE

As for that someone, I wasn't referring to you. :)

So why are the states remaining blue? According to Gallup itself, "Thus, even with the reduction in Democratic strength, the party still maintained a solid advantage over the Republicans nationally last year. It follows, then, that most states continued to be Democratic in their political orientation.

One thing that surprised me is that Virgina is leaning Democratic. I can imagine a lot of Virginians complaining that Gallup pays too many northern Virginians (near the DC area) are skewing the poll. I'm from Virgina btw.

Election Projection: 2010 Elections, House Projections[/QUOTE

As for that someone, I wasn't referring to you. :)

So why are the states remaining blue? According to Gallup itself, "Thus, even with the reduction in Democratic strength, the party still maintained a solid advantage over the Republicans nationally last year. It follows, then, that most states continued to be Democratic in their political orientation.

One thing that surprised me is that Virgina is leaning Democratic. I can imagine a lot of Virginians complaining that Gallup pays too many northern Virginians (near the DC area) are skewing the poll. I'm from Virgina btw.

It reflects the disconnect between people who ID themselves as Dems and the Dems in office. When the info is put together it says Dem voters still consider themselves true to Dem beliefs but they have little intention of voting for the Dems who currently represent them. That's my take on it anyway.

It cracks me up that conservatives are so quick to dismiss any polls that show them at disadvantage and criticize polls as unreliable BUT if polls show them to be advantagous, they will loudly proclaim them as RELIABLE!

LOL!

It cracks me up that conservatives are so quick to dismiss any polls that show them at disadvantage and criticize polls as unreliable BUT if polls show them to be advantagous, they will loudly proclaim them as RELIABLE!

LOL!

One poll shows beliefs the other shows candidates head to head. I don't dismiss either poll. Some states do lean hard left or hard right.....That's a given. But polls do show the GOP picking up seats. Hope that is true. Won't know until November.

p.s. Polls in MA showed Brown winning by 5-7 which he did. Yet it is listed as the number 3 blue state

One poll shows beliefs the other shows candidates head to head. I don't dismiss either poll. Some states do lean hard left or hard right.....That's a given. But polls do show the GOP picking up seats. Hope that is true. Won't know until November.

What about midterm election in 2006?

What about them???? I have no idea what you are asking.

You forgot about democrat won to tookover the congress in Nov 2006. ;)

I cannot believe that you had forgot about 3 years ago.

You forgot about democrat won to tookover the congress in Nov 2006. ;)

I cannot believe that you had forgot about 3 years ago.

How could I forget....I don't see how what happened in 2006 pertains to polling numbers for 2010.

How could I forget....I don't see how what happened in 2006 pertains to polling numbers for 2010.

I made point about GOP can go down in years like happened in midterm election in 2006.

I agree with Banjo about both of Dem and GOP are joke.

Go praise at GOP whatever you want but you will see GOP loss in next 6 years, maybe 4 years.

I made point about GOP can go down in years like happened in midterm election in 2006.

I agree with Banjo about both of Dem and GOP are joke.

Go praise at GOP whatever you want but you will see GOP loss in next 6 years, maybe 4 years.

Not sure what the point is. Of course either side can be voted out. We were discussing the near future. Even after 2010 the GOP wont be in control. Who knows, there may be a new party in 4 years...... Maybe we will be part of China in 6 if we keep borrowing. Who knows? But near future doesn't look bad for the GOP.

Did you happen to notice what the market did today???? Right after congress decides to increase the debt limit the market plummeted......That's a message.

Not sure what the point is. Of course either side can be voted out. We were discussing the near future. Even after 2010 the GOP wont be in control. Who knows, there may be a new party in 4 years...... Maybe we will be part of China in 6 if we keep borrowing. Who knows? But near future doesn't look bad for the GOP.

Did you happen to notice what the market did today???? Right after congress decides to increase the debt limit the market plummeted......That's a message.

Yup, lol and I don't know about what happen in future, it could be 70 republicans in US senate by 2014 and I know it will going be crazy.

Even we never know if Scott Brown would be our elect for president in 2012. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back