Gallaudet University

Radcliff

Reaction score
Hi! Okay, I am a college Freshman with a 3.75 GPA and I am thinking of applying to transfer to Gallaudet. I am HOH (if anyone really wanted to know) and I would really like to speak to some people about their experiences. I am oral, and I have a limited understanding of ASL. I can form small sentences and I have a range of only like 300 signs that I know confidently.

Hi! Okay, I am a college Freshman with a 3.75 GPA and I am thinking of applying to transfer to Gallaudet. I am HOH (if anyone really wanted to know) and I would really like to speak to some people about their experiences. I am oral, and I have a limited understanding of ASL. I can form small sentences and I have a range of only like 300 signs that I know confidently.
OMG! Do it! It's not that unusual for entering freshmen to be new to AS. You will have a BLAST!!!!

OMG! Do it! It's not that unusual for entering freshmen to be new to AS. You will have a BLAST!!!!
It's a really big decision for me and I'm nervous! I want to become a teacher and I want to be able to teach at a deaf school or a hearing school.

It's a really big decision for me and I'm nervous! I want to become a teacher and I want to be able to teach at a deaf school or a hearing school.
That would be PERFECT..They are always looking for ASL fluent TOds!

Yes... Gallaudet is likely the best choice for what you want to do. Better immersion and more chances of having practicums /internships with deaf schools or programs.

I also second JumpStart (in my day....god so old...it was called NSP- New Signers Program. WELL worth giving up your summer for if you enter in the fall. I went :). Course now I'm semi rusty :/ but having interpreters for the last 3 months have been WONDERFUL.

Absolutely! One of the major benefits of Gallaudet is it gives you space to really introspect and develop yourself as you would if you had no communication barriers. That might sound trivial to some, but it's massive when you spend most of your life in the hearing world. You'll run into many people of differing ASL levels who have come to Gallaudet to experience that benefit.

Additionally, I know of several people who had 3.4-3.9 GPAs in their undergrad experience/GRE scores in the 90th and higher percentile, who have chosen Gallaudet for graduate studies for that very reason.

Hey I'm HoH as well. I use HAs and in addition to FM systems, CART, etc. I used signed English growing up mainstreamed in public school. I went to a few different universities where I continued to be mainstreamed. However I want to go to Gallaudet for grad school in the next year or so. I'm working on becoming fluent in ASL but I still have a lot of work to be at a college level.

For undergrads, there's a program called Jump Start for Deaf/HoH kids who for whatever reason aren't fluent in ASL. You spend the summer before classes start living in the dorms and doing ASL immersion. Then once classes start they offer a lot of support especially for undergrads so they can get to the level where they understand everything in ASL.

I'd say go for it! Message me if you want to chat more about it. I recently started my application.

Hey I'm HoH as well. I use HAs and in addition to FM systems, CART, etc. I used signed English growing up mainstreamed in public school. I went to a few different universities where I continued to be mainstreamed. However I want to go to Gallaudet for grad school in the next year or so. I'm working on becoming fluent in ASL but I still have a lot of work to be at a college level.

For undergrads, there's a program called Jump Start for Deaf/HoH kids who for whatever reason aren't fluent in ASL. You spend the summer before classes start living in the dorms and doing ASL immersion. Then once classes start they offer a lot of support especially for undergrads so they can get to the level where they understand everything in ASL.

I'd say go for it! Message me if you want to chat more about it. I recently started my application.
In THAT case we NEED to meet!

I've been working on my application as well! I am very worried about my written essay, because I want it to be perfect. I can't do the video essay for ASL because I'm not fluent.

video essay? That's new. Don't worry about the written essay- do the best you can. If you stay on the idea of wanting it perfect you'll never get it done. Trust me on that... I was like that (and still am...).

video essay? That's new. Don't worry about the written essay- do the best you can. If you stay on the idea of wanting it perfect you'll never get it done. Trust me on that... I was like that (and still am...).
It's a video that you use ASL to answer a question

It's a video that you use ASL to answer a question

Ahh... before my time lmao... we didn't have video essays or 'tests' to evaluate our ASL. I did go to NSP for the mere fact I didn't know ANY sign. And...hmm for grad school.. if there was a video essay or evaluation of ASL- it may have been waived for me as I was an undergrad at Gallaudet already...

Ahh... before my time lmao... we didn't have video essays or 'tests' to evaluate our ASL. I did go to NSP for the mere fact I didn't know ANY sign. And...hmm for grad school.. if there was a video essay or evaluation of ASL- it may have been waived for me as I was an undergrad at Gallaudet already...
The video essay is optional, but I still feel as though my lack of ability to create one is going to count against me. Plus, I am an English Literature major, so with the lack of video essay and my major of choice I have a lot riding in my written essay. I'm aware that I shouldn't over think it, but I have anxiety about this sort of thing since I couldn't keep up with my classes when I got sick and ultimately had to drop out

The video essay is optional, but I still feel as though my lack of ability to create one is going to count against me. Plus, I am an English Literature major, so with the lack of video essay and my major of choice I have a lot riding in my written essay. I'm aware that I shouldn't over think it, but I have anxiety about this sort of thing since I couldn't keep up with my classes when I got sick and ultimately had to drop out

Understandable. I don't think it will count against you though they do like students to have a good grasp. I'm trying to remember but I do remember some of the grad students did not sign all that well.. and on top of that at least one of the graduate school professors did not sign well AT ALL to the point where she had interpreters in her class if there happened to be a few deaf graduate students...and she was a tenured professor who'd been there for years! I think the approach is different now for instructors/professors- thankfully.
If you cannot get assigned to the Jump program (they should allow newbie grad students new to ASL to join...), they do (or did) have classes during the semester to improve on your ASL...and just interacting with everyone on campus too will be a huge plus.

You got this.. :).

Back