Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone

GadgetJim57

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the Galaxy Note 8 smartphone ? I just got mine earlier this year in March. I sold my Galaxy S8 Plus, which was nice, but I miss the S-Pen. My first smartphone was the Note 3, which I still have, and it still works just like brand new. I had the Note 7, but had to return because of the recall. Also have the Note 4. I hoping that the next Note will have a removeable battery ….. and a few other features …..

I wouldn't count on removable phones in future. That seems to be a thing of the past now.

I'm glad that I still have my Note 3 and Note 4. I can still get new batteries, but don't really need new batteries, because I have the 10000mAh ZeroLemon Extended battery for both Note 8 and Note 4. I can still get several days of use easily. My Note 4 is still on standby for almost 23 days, and still has 32% battery. I just install my SIM card from my Note 8 into either my note 3 or Note 4, and I'm good to go …..

yeah-- not sure why Samsung decided to not allow people to be able to swap batteries :P. But future phones won't have that ability for sure...:(. I still have my S5 (I need to find it- where did I put it...) still works well. So does my 6 year old iPad but I can't update past iOS 9 so at least one of my games is freezing sometimes- need to check the cache/memory files first.

My son has the Galaxy S7, which he really likes. I am hooked on the S-Pen, which I use everyday, all day long. ZeroLemon makes a 10000mAh Battery Pack for the Note 8, which I have. It attaches to the Note 8, with no cables. I can get several days of heavy use now, without charging.

Yep pretty much. Once the battery is no good, the phone goes RIP.

Actually … you can get the ZeroLemon Extended Battery for many different smartphones, which will allow you to use your smartphone for many years. Much less expensive than throwing away your expensive smartphone and buying a new one …..

Check out ZeroLemon ..... I have the ZeroLemon 10000mAh Extended Battery for both my Note 3 and Note 4. Works great, and gives me several days of use (3-5 days or more). I also have the ZeroLemon 10000mAh Extended Battery for my Note 8.

https://zerolemon.com/

This video shows you clearly how the ZeroLemon 10000mAh Extended Battery works with the Note 8 …. I've been using mine for several months now.

They once claimed lithium has no memory effect. Now I’m reading of its limitations like the older NiCad. False advertising?

They once claimed lithium has no memory effect. Now I’m reading of its limitations like the older NiCad. False advertising?

I've noticed that issue too. I've posted that question myself on numerous forums … It seems that the newer batteries do not have the "Memory" problem. What does seem to be important, however, is to NOT allow your batteries to go completely dead (Zero %), and do not charge to 100% all the time. I am not an expert in Battery Technology, so I really do not know what is best. But I do generally allow my batteries to drain to around 30%, then charge to around 90%. Sometimes I forget, and my batteries go dead, or charge to 100%. I haven't had any problems with any of my batteries though. Now, Lead Acid batteries is a completely different issue. You definitely do NOT want to allow your Lead Acid batteries to go completely dead. That will destroy the batteries. But lead Acid batteries are generally used mostly for cars. You can read lots of technical articles on battery technology to learn more …..

The guy who is building my custom eBike told me to not allow the batteries on my eBike to drain completely to Zero %, but should try to drain only to around 20%, but I can charge to 100% with no problems. My eBike batteries are LiFePo4 Lithium, 20A each (4 batteries).

The batteries and phone these days- there's really no issues of letting it drain to 0% or charging completely to 100%. My S5 did very well- I didn't need to replace the battery for 2 some years I think. The S8 is still rather new (for me) so can't say for sure.

I think the whole "don't charge to 100%" came about because it used to be if you left it charging, that would hurt the battery, memory and/or phone. Today it's impossible to 'overcharge'; the phone will detect it and protect the phone from overcharging.

The batteries and phone these days- there's really no issues of letting it drain to 0% or charging completely to 100%. My S5 did very well- I didn't need to replace the battery for 2 some years I think. The S8 is still rather new (for me) so can't say for sure.

I think the whole "don't charge to 100%" came about because it used to be if you left it charging, that would hurt the battery, memory and/or phone. Today it's impossible to 'overcharge'; the phone will detect it and protect the phone from overcharging.

I really don't worry much about overcharging or draining to Zero %. However, I have had issues with my Galaxy Tab E tablet when draining to Zero %. Took a very long time before it started charging again, like several hours !!! I thought my tablet might be damaged. It did eventually start charging, and took around 24 hours to charge to 100 % (battery is a 5000mAh battery !).

I'm sure the Note 9 will be nice, but I can't keep upgrading every year. Also, I'm sure the speed difference will not be much … at the most only one or two seconds. I might get the Note 10 next year though ….. I'm definitely going to keep my note 8, so I need to pay it off before I upgrade.

I would like to see some significant improvements: 1) Headphone Jack on top, like my Note 3 and Note 4 … 2) Fingerprint Censor in the front … 3) 6.5-inch screen … 4) 8GB RAM … 5) 128GB Internal Memory … 6) Removeable Battery ….. 7) Larger Battery ….. And of course, keep the Micro-SD Card slot.

^^ I like that list. I don't upgrade every year either. After the pagers (Wyndtel, talkabout, then the SK3), I've had exactly 3 cell phones lol.. with about 5 years in between each lol.

My first cell phone was a Nokia, back in January, 2001. I actually thought that I would never get or need a cell phone. At that time, I saw very few people with cell phones. One teacher had a really old cell phone, that was huge. Must have been one of the first models that were sold to the public. I remember when I first moved to California in 1987, I saw a huge cell phone in the paper for $1,000.00 (that's "One Thousand Dollars, US") … !!! I saw very few people at college or work with cell phones. But then I got to thinking …. Since I'm on call, and have a different job assignment everyday, a cell phone would come in handy, if and when my car breaks down, so I don't have to walk miles and miles to get help. So, I got what some people call "dumb phone" … no texting ... limited minutes … a few simple games (had to pay $7.00 for some of them at that time !!!) … only Internet was the basic short News clips, but I had to pay extra for Internet time. All that limited service for $65/month (2001) through Cingular Wireless. I later upgraded to 1000 minutes, and night-time minutes starting at 7:00 p.m. (instead of 9:00 p.m.). I think I was paying around $80/month with the upgrade !!!

I have the note 8. My first was the note 2 then held out till the note 7 because like many, I frowned at phones with non removable batteries. We know what happen with that Note 7. As I was forced to turn it in...it actually started getting hot on the way to the Verizon store! I was stuck with the Galaxy 7se for a year till the note 8 came out. Of course I jumped on it and have been very happy since. Note 8 battery is great as well as speed. I do use the pen a lot and a lot of its features too.

Back