fundraising

lovezebras

Reaction score
Hey everyone! As some of you know I have type 1 diabetes. Keeping my blood sugars in a good range is pretty hard sometimes. I don't feel low blood sugars most of the time and something called a continuous glucose monitor would help me with that by alerting me of low and high blood sugars. Unfortunately insurance doesn't pay for these monitors.

I've set up a go fund me fundraising page to help pay for the continuous glucose monitor seeing as it's quite expensive! Every dollar helps and I'd appreciate it immensely if y'all could help out:)

The link for my page is Dexcom G4 Continuous Glucose Monitor by Alicia Magliocco - GoFundMe

and to read more about the dexcom continuous glucose monitor (CGM) is here is the link for that Dexcom. Discover Smart, simple, straightforward Continuous Glucose Monitoring. :ty:

I thought Canada's health system covered everything?

Oh definitely not! There's a lot of medical devices that our health system doesn't cover. My hearing aids for example are not covered only given a certain amt per ear as a discount. My grandfather uses a CPAP machine and same thing only a certain amt is given as a discount. He actually buys his in the states when they go (they live in AZ for 6 months) because with the discount here its still cheaper in the states

Communication Devices
Diabetes Supplies
Enteral Feeding Supplies
Hearing Devices
Orthotic Devices
Ostomy Supplies
Pressure Modification Devices
Prosthetic Devices (Breast, Limb,Ocular, Maxillofacial)
Respiratory Devices
Visual Devices
Wheelchairs, Positioning and Ambulation Aids

these are all the categories that are covered but only up to 75% of a max amt. For example hearing aids are only covered up to a max of $500 per ear which is ridiculous seeing as each aid usually cost more than triple that amount...The diabetic device (a CGM-continuous glucose monitor) isn't even listed as a device because up until recently there was only 1 company that provided a CGM and it only came with a pump and most people didn't use it because it wasn't a good device so there isn't much evidence in Canada that it actually helps. Some private insurances will cover the CGM but mine doesn't.

www.ingramdiabetic.com They give you a glucose meter free according to the ad they slipped in below your posts. I hope I am not being lame or something. I thought I would click on it. They should give you one free for all the advertising they just got. Keep up the good fight.

www.ingramdiabetic.com They give you a glucose meter free according to the ad they slipped in below your posts. I hope I am not being lame or something. I thought I would click on it. They should give you one free for all the advertising they just got. Keep up the good fight.

What I'm getting is NOT a standard glucose meter. It is a CONTINUOUS glucose monitor. You wear a sensor and the sensor checks your blood glucose levels every 5 min.

There's a reason I put the links in for people to read because it's not just a regular meter and a regular meter wouldn't cost me $1840

Back