Fun Facts about Kentucky

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
1792 - Kentucky was the first state on the western frontier to join the Union.

1816 - (first promoted) Mammoth Cave, with 336+ miles of mapped passages, is the world's longest cave. It is 379 feet deep and contains at least 5 levels of passages. It's second only to Niagara Falls as the most popular tourist attraction in the US. It became a National Park on July 1, 1941.

1856 - The first enamel bathtub was made in Louisville.

1883 - The first electric light bulb was shown in Louisville. Thomas Alva Edison introduced his invention to crowds at the Southern Exposition.

1887 - Mother's Day was first observed in Henderson by teacher Mary S. Wilson. It became a national holiday in 1916.

1893 - 'Happy Birthday to You', probably the most sung song in the world, was written by two Louisville sisters - Mildred and Patricia Hill.

Late 19th century - Bibb lettuce was first cultivated by Jack Bibb in Frankfort, Kentucky.

1896 - The first (known) set of all male quintuplets was born in Paducah.

1934 - Cheeseburgers were first tasted at Kaelin's Restaurant in Louisville.

1937 - The first Wigwam Village Motel, with units in the shape of a 'teepee', was built by Frank A. Redford in Cave City.

The world's largest baseball bat, a full one hundred twenty (120) feet tall and weighing 68,000 pounds, can be seen at the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville (Jefferson Co.).

Chevrolet Corvettes are manufactured only in Bowling Green.

Covington (St. Mary's Cathedral-Basilica of the Assumption) is home to the world's largest hand blown stained glass window in existence. It measures an astounding 24 feet by 67 feet and contains 117 different figures.

The world's largest crucifix, standing at sixty (60) feet tall, is in Bardstown (Nelson Co.).

Fort Knox holds more than $6 billion worth of gold - the largest amount stored anywhere in the world.

The JIF plant in Lexington is the world's largest peanut butter producing facility.

Kentucky has more resort parks than any other state in the nation.

Middlesboro is the only United States city built inside a meteor crater.

Newport is home to The World Peace Bell, the world's largest free-swinging bell.

Pike County is the world's largest producer of coal.

Pikeville annually leads the nation (per capita) in consumption of Pepsi-Cola.

Post-It Notes are made exclusively in Cynthiana, Ky.

Shaker Village (Pleasant Hill) is the largest historic community of its kind in the United States

Christian County is 'wet', while Bourbon County is 'dry'.
('wet 'sells liquor; 'dry' does not)

Barren County has the most fertile land in the state.

Lake Cumberland has more miles of shoreline than the state of Florida.

Cool!

Thomas Edison's winter home is in Fort Myers, Florida. Been there a couple of times. :)

About the Louisville Slugger. It is my daughters Favorite softball equipment name brand.

:)

not bad for the inbred state!!! :rofl2:

im gonna go hide now!:shock:

Cool!

Thomas Edison's winter home is in Fort Myers, Florida. Been there a couple of times. :)

About the Louisville Slugger. It is my daughters Favorite softball equipment name brand.

:)

Cool - I haven't been to Thomas Edison's winter home. I'd like to see that some day.

Ah - If you and your daughter ever have a chance to go to the Louisville Slugger Museum for a tour; They will also make a mini personalized baseball bat for your daughter. I think she would definitely love it. I have few of these personalized mini baseball bats. :)

not bad for the inbred state!!! :rofl2:

im gonna go hide now!:shock:

Haha, You just had to rub that in? :nana:

All that and no mention of Daniel Boone nor Davey Crockett? Shame, shame! :lol:

Last I was up at the Cumberland Falls was April 2005... urgh... miss it! We were up in the parks and I was freezing my a$$ off... :giggle: Sitting at a fire camp at 7am is definitely nothing for the city girl I am. But still enjoyed it somehow

Jamie

They lived under two weeks and were mummified under the mother's bed as she was afraid the bodies would be stolen. Later given to some army museum.

They lived under two weeks and were mummified under the mother's bed as she was afraid the bodies would be stolen. Later given to some army museum.

Why was she afraid that the bodies would be stolen?

JIF plant in Lexington coolies! A 60 ft crucifix in Bardstown that would be neat to see.

No one seems to remember the most important thing... KFC, formally Kentucky Fried Chicken!

*finger lickin' good!* :D

DBG is right, wonder what happened to that fun fact:giggle:

No one seems to remember the most important thing... KFC, formally Kentucky Fried Chicken!

*finger lickin' good!* :D

Seems like several of their restaurants have changed their name to "Wing Works" Down here. Same franchise and foods, just different name.

that sounds fun thread... I didn't know JIF was planted in kentucky eh? lol ok... interesting facts about kentuchy tho.. ;)

The only KFC I know of is Berlin... I don't even know if there's one in France :shrug:

Jamie

The only KFC I know of is Berlin... I don't even know if there's one in France :shrug:

Jamie
Looks like there is some in France. (check KFC.fr) :).

Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC may have its first start in Kentucky, but it is hardly like a hometown thing anymore. :(

Back