Frustrated with hearing aids

Victoria F

Reaction score
I am a long time user with hearing aid. My right ear hearing loss is Profound rising to moderate SNHL sloping back to profound and left ear profound Deaf. For many years I was on analog hearing aid, then back in 2006 somewhere there, changed to Resound Pixel hearing aid (not sure if it was analog/digital transition), then 4 years later I was suggested by different audiologist to change hearing aid to Unitron hearing aid, but it is not set in all around setting (the usual one), it is set like phone but without t-coil in it. It took me awhile to adjust to it. I have been on Unitron hearing aid for many years and didn't go back to the audiologist. Now I had to go back because my hearing aid is getting old and was cutting in and out. I was then suggested the Resound ENZO because I like using iPhone when talking on the phone or listening to music. Everything was horrible first the get go, started in February, then stopped around end of March to take a break because I was at the audiologist's office nonstop. Then i tried it again June, I tried my bests to stick it out as much as I can and figured out the problem was bandwidth or something like that, then every sounds are fine however women, children, and myself talking sounds like I am in a barrel alll the time and it just would not go away. I got to the point I have anixety so bad which i have never experienced it, i could not sleep, eat, and always felt sick. My audiologist suggested me to go back to my old hearing aid and order a new Unitron hearing aid. I still have aniexty over hearing aid even now that I am back on my old one because I cannot get it out of my head. I have never had problems with hearing aids growing up. I know Resound works for me because I was hearing clear sounds with everything else but the women, children and my own voice. Help, I need suggestion what may be the problem with my current Resound ENZO hearing aid?

I know how you feel. I am starting to miss the analog hearing aids because the problems they caused are nothing compared to the Phonaks I am using (?). I became profoundly deaf at age two, and got my first hearing aid two years later (which would be 1954, whoaaaaaaa, lol). My parents did it all in the kitchen, no kidding, and I believe in miracles because for years I didn't break it. (But that's another story.) I had speech therapy for four years before I was mainstreamed, unfortunately. By the time high school graduation arrived, two analog hearing aids bit the dust, but dang, it is like old cars with dozens of stickers on the windows, you just remember them as being good cars when they really weren't, you know? Lol. Anyway, I know the sound quality wasn't as good as it should have been, but whose fault was that? When I remarked to friends the odd noises I heard, they backed away as if I roared invectives at them, and today I tend to keep my mouth shut even tough I got top-of-the-line Phonaks. I still hear noises, and mostly I simply don't wear them. I know it is maddening, Victoria F, but there is only so much you can do.
By the way, welcome.

Beowulf,
Thanks... I am just frustrated because I don't know how to explain to my audiologist since many years they just fix it and then all i do is plug it in my ear and that's it. Now I hear hollow or barrel sounds when it comes to me talking, women, and children (maybe the pitch isn't right, i don't know). I have been doing this since February.... Finally audiologist figured out it was something with compression(???), I didn't know that is what it was. How was I suppose to know since they don't let us know about the update of technology in hearing aids. They should have figured it out by looking at my hearing aid of how old it is. I have done many years of speech therapy and I have 88% out of 100% on speech which my audiologist was shocked with the type of hearing loss I have now. Anyways, Thank You for Your Feedback.

Is there anyone who when thru what I am going thru and help me figure out how to communicate my audiologist with the hearing aid problem I have? I just need advice since I have really bad anxiety all just because I am beyond frustrated with my hearing aid. I have never had anxiety and all the sudden I have it and I am trying to get rid of my anxiety over hearing aid and I cannot stop thinking about it.

Victoria

Beowulf,
Thanks... I am just frustrated because I don't know how to explain to my audiologist since many years they just fix it and then all i do is plug it in my ear and that's it. Now I hear hollow or barrel sounds when it comes to me talking, women, and children (maybe the pitch isn't right, i don't know). I have been doing this since February.... Finally audiologist figured out it was something with compression(???), I didn't know that is what it was. How was I suppose to know since they don't let us know about the update of technology in hearing aids. They should have figured it out by looking at my hearing aid of how old it is. I have done many years of speech therapy and I have 88% out of 100% on speech which my audiologist was shocked with the type of hearing loss I have now. Anyways, Thank You for Your Feedback.

Is there anyone who when thru what I am going thru and help me figure out how to communicate my audiologist with the hearing aid problem I have? I just need advice since I have really bad anxiety all just because I am beyond frustrated with my hearing aid. I have never had anxiety and all the sudden I have it and I am trying to get rid of my anxiety over hearing aid and I cannot stop thinking about it.

Victoria

Did they ever do real ear measurement on you? That will tell them if they're programmed correctly.

Yes they did

Ugh! Hearing aids can be such a pain can't they? Are you on hearingaidforums? If you aren't, you should head on over there with your questions. I have, and they're awesome (there's a lot of audiologist and his over there)

Back