Forced to interpret :(

It's not like they said specifically "Hey, Hayden, will you come be our interpreter for the night?" But when we get there, they say "what did she say?" "tell them I said this."

I don't really want to cancel my plans to accommodate this person. I like her, but I made these plans for a specific reason. I understand what you're saying, but I wasn't really looking for a "solution," I wanted to vent because I am frustrated.

Edit: Not to mention it doesn't matter if my friends can see her face; no amount of proper lighting will make her understand what they sign to her. I understand that it's not my JOB to interpret for people, but having been left out because of language barriers growing up I hate to do the same to other people. Maybe I should stop being so nice. :P

Then that would be a time to develop a spine.

Sorry if that sounds abrupt. Because I do understand you want to go and have a good time.

Believe it or not, Deaf people usually take care of themselves just fine. Frankly, my Deaf friends really bristle if another Deaf person offers to help out. It's like telling them they're incapable.

Maybe your friends aren't like that, however. If they start asking all the time, and it bothers you, then it's your time to do something about it. Otherwise you will find yourself in this same predicament.

Vacationguy has it right -- you don't need to control the situation just because you have the best lipreading skills.

This has literally nothing to do with getting better at sign. I am not the hearing friend, and she has no interest in learning to sign.

If she "has no interest in learning to sign" then why should it fall on you to interpret for her at this nightclub outing? No. No. No.

AlleyCat: I know deaf people can take care of themselves. I'm doing just fine. :P
And yes, I agree I need to grow a spine. I just sent the hearing friend and the friend who invited her a message explaining why I don't think it's a good idea. We'll see what they say.

AlleyCat: I know deaf people can take care of themselves. I'm doing just fine. :P
And yes, I agree I need to grow a spine. I just sent the hearing friend and the friend who invited her a message explaining why I don't think it's a good idea. We'll see what they say.

OP, don't take this thread or life too personally.

You're a good person with a lot of empathy, but it's not all on you to make things go right. Other people have to find their own way and they can only do that on their own.

I'm not, sorry if it came off that way! Sometimes I can be a little direct.

I really appreciate all your feedback!

Hey, I'm so proud of you going out to interpret for a hearing friend at a deaf club.

Next thing we would probably be hearing is that you bought a car with turbocharged engine. Then everyone will be insisting that you do all the driving because you are the only one that has a turbocharged engine and they want to feel the power of being in one.

Keep this going. This is fun. Let us know the next time you get "used". It looks like a lot of fun!!!

I need an interview with a deaf person for a project
Are you deaf? Were you born deaf?
Are you in a deaf family?
Where do you go to school?
Do you have any siblings/Pets?
What kind of movies do you like?
Are you married and have kids?
How old are you?
What do you like to do for fun?
Do you have deaf friends?

This doesn't belong in this thread.

Back