For Those With A Ci

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
I just got activated with my AB CI 5 days ago and because of my implant site still having some swelling and the fact that my hair is sorta think with curls my headpiece has a hard time sticking to the magnate so my Audi told me my battery may not last long. So for the past 5 days my small rechargeable batteries only last 4-6 hours and my large 6 at the most. Is this normal?

It could also depend on the MAPs on your processor too (some programs will drain the battery more quickly). My biggest battery for the Naida, I get maybe around 18 hours? The 170's (the medium ones), anywhere from 12-14 hours.

Do you have the power-saving mode (Hi-Res Optima) turned on for your CI? That could help improve battery life.

Definitely see what you can do to get the headpiece to stick on better. You don't want to put in too much magnet strength in the headpiece as that can hurt and even damage the skin over the internal implant. The headpiece will also stick on better when all the swelling disappears too.

I have thick hair but I just brush as much hair out of the way as possible, then sit the headpieces on. That's what works for me; the headpieces don't stay on very well on top of my hair.

It could also depend on the MAPs on your processor too (some programs will drain the battery more quickly). My biggest battery for the Naida, I get maybe around 18 hours? The 170's (the medium ones), anywhere from 12-14 hours.

Do you have the power-saving mode (Hi-Res Optima) turned on for your CI? That could help improve battery life.

Definitely see what you can do to get the headpiece to stick on better. You don't want to put in too much magnet strength in the headpiece as that can hurt and even damage the skin over the internal implant. The headpiece will also stick on better when all the swelling disappears too.

I have thick hair but I just brush as much hair out of the way as possible, then sit the headpieces on. That's what works for me; the headpieces don't stay on very well on top of my hair.
I go back to my Audi tomorrow so I will see what she can do about my battery life.

Even when I was first activated, I was able to get through a good chunk of the day before the battery would go dead. Hope you and your audi can get this resolved!

4-6 hrs? that really short.. have you thought about shaving off a little area - the size of the magnet - for a better sticking in, then?

Fuzzy

That is a really short amount of battery time. I have bilateral N6's, my batteries have always lasted me all day. Hope you can get it figured out soon.

I just got activated with my AB CI 5 days ago and because of my implant site still having some swelling and the fact that my hair is sorta think with curls my headpiece has a hard time sticking to the magnate so my Audi told me my battery may not last long. So for the past 5 days my small rechargeable batteries only last 4-6 hours and my large 6 at the most. Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal. As you have been told: you have post-surgical swelling. The swelling will disappear as the weeks and months go by. The voltage is temporarily high to achieve a connection between the implant and processor through the swelling, resulting in poor battery life.

Do not shave hair off and don't stress about this. You are only a week post-activation! You have not begun to hear what your implant will sound like in the long run and the battery life will get much better.

Last edited:
my hub put the recharger battery every night. He hates it that the battery life tend to be short.

my hub put the recharger battery every night. He hates it that the battery life tend to be short.

How long has he had his currant batteries? Batteries slowly lose the ability to hold a charge for the length of time they did when new. Also, his currant map could be part of the problem. When was the last time he saw his audi?

How long has he had his currant batteries? Batteries slowly lose the ability to hold a charge for the length of time they did when new. Also, his currant map could be part of the problem. When was the last time he saw his audi?
oh I didn't know that you got a CI already.. Cool. He did see audi last few months ago. I ll tell him about it. thanks

oh I didn't know that you got a CI already.. Cool. He did see audi last few months ago. I ll tell him about it. thanks

I do not have a CI but have read reports from a lot of people that do. And the same thing is also that case for any rechargeable batteries for any device.

I do not have a CI but have read reports from a lot of people that do. And the same thing is also that case for any rechargeable batteries for any device.

He had already talked with Audi about it. So he still uses the rechargeable batteries every night. So it's really annoying.

He had already talked with Audi about it. So he still uses the rechargeable batteries every night. So it's really annoying.

What is so annoying about putting on the charger every night? When taken off they have to be put somewhere, why not the charger?

What is so annoying about putting on the charger every night? When taken off they have to be put somewhere, why not the charger?

I suspect she's saying that it's annoying that he gets a short battery life despite putting the battery on the charger each night.

Fuzzy
What are you considering a short battery life? From what I have read different places putting it on the charger every night seems to be normal.

He had HA for years and was put in his work thingy. So he wont forget HA before he rushes off to work every morning.. Now he has to put the charger on the safe place where cats or any other stuffs would not be in the way. SO he sometimes forgets to put the batteries on to the charger then he would be DEAF for the rest of the day the next day.. yes it is annoying. :)

026.JPG

Do this look fun to you?
http://rachelsprayer.blogspot.com/2013/07/pictures-of-all-my-cochlear-equipment.html

Not to him because those devices are FREAKING expensive!

Just an idea that may or may not fit your situation. Even if it takes saving for awhile (I was unable to find the price) how about getting another rechargeable battery and leave one on the charger. When taking the processor off for the night put the battery from the charger on the processor, the battery that has been on the processor on the charger. That way the processor, with a charged battery, can go with his other work items for the night and not be forgotten in the morning.

He had HA for years and was put in his work thingy. So he wont forget HA before he rushes off to work every morning.. Now he has to put the charger on the safe place where cats or any other stuffs would not be in the way. SO he sometimes forgets to put the batteries on to the charger then he would be DEAF for the rest of the day the next day.. yes it is annoying. :)

026.JPG

Do this look fun to you?
http://rachelsprayer.blogspot.com/2013/07/pictures-of-all-my-cochlear-equipment.html

Not to him because those devices are FREAKING expensive!

Yeah we wish if it were FREE. sure.. we have many priority things to do with the new roofing, two teen kids' need, many bills are coming up and everything. My hub is trying to take care of the expensive CI thingy. So that's life.

Back