For those who suport NCLB..take a hard look at this cartoon

Alright, since you feel that way, I have to ask you this question.

Is mainstream placement ideal for the deaf population?

Depends on the individual student, the specific school, and the approach to mainstreaming and accommodations. I don't believe there's any one approach that's ideal for "the deaf population" in general.

• Full inclusion = all classes taken in general ed population with ALL services provided in the classroom (no pull-outs for speech or resource room or special catch-up)
  • Inclusion = all classes taken in general ed population with potential to have some services outside the classroom (after school programs or speech pull-out or access to the resource room, etc.)
  • Mainstream = one or more classes taken with general ed population and one or more in special education environment. At my daughter's deaf school, high school (and even middle school) kids are transported to either a local high school or college to take an AP course or subject courses not available at her school. They are mainstreamed. Or a student in a self-contained program takes math or science with the general ed population -- that student is considered mainstreamed.

I hope my daughter remains at her deaf school, and if so, I also hope she's mainstreamed and has broad opportunities to take classes in the general population (if you can consider those freaky MIT whiz kids to be the general population).

Nope, that isn't what I am doing, but you are still misinterpreting the meaning of age level test scores. Keep trying.

Age level scores are age level scores. They are obtained the same way. You seem to think that they imply something that they don't.

"For the 17-year-olds and the 18-year-olds in the deaf and hard of hearing student norming sample, the median Reading Comprehension subtest score corresponds to about a 4.0 grade level for hearing students. That means that half of the deaf and hard of hearing students at that age scored above the typical hearing student at the beginning of fourth grade, and half scored below." source

"For the 17-year-olds and the 18-year-olds in the deaf and hard of hearing student norming sample, the median Reading Comprehension subtest score corresponds to about a 4.0 grade level for hearing students. That means that half of the deaf and hard of hearing students at that age scored above the typical hearing student at the beginning of fourth grade, and half scored below." source

Still not all you need to know to properly interpret the meaning of the scores.

Still not all you need to know to properly interpret the meaning of the scores.

No, but I've provided some guiding papers in a previous post to help you figure it out.
(If you are determined to compare those standardized score results with the new testing results)

No, but I've provided some guiding papers in a previous post to help you figure it out.

I've had score interpretation figured out for quute some time, dear. That is why I have the credentials to do it.:cool2: But if you keep trying, you may understand it one day.

Depends on the individual student, the specific school, and the approach to mainstreaming and accommodations. I don't believe there's any one approach that's ideal for "the deaf population" in general.

• Full inclusion = all classes taken in general ed population with ALL services provided in the classroom (no pull-outs for speech or resource room or special catch-up)
  • Inclusion = all classes taken in general ed population with potential to have some services outside the classroom (after school programs or speech pull-out or access to the resource room, etc.)
  • Mainstream = one or more classes taken with general ed population and one or more in special education environment. At my daughter's deaf school, high school (and even middle school) kids are transported to either a local high school or college to take an AP course or subject courses not available at her school. They are mainstreamed. Or a student in a self-contained program takes math or science with the general ed population -- that student is considered mainstreamed.

I hope my daughter remains at her deaf school, and if so, I also hope she's mainstreamed and has broad opportunities to take classes in the general population (if you can consider those freaky MIT whiz kids to be the general population).

Currently,
Inclusion= two teachers in the same room with small groups...

Pull out (not in Duval at the moment) = one or more classes taken with general ed population and one or more in special education environment.

Mainstream = no special class accommodations in school, other (technology) accommodations possible.

We could use her questioning:

When does that happen? Just Deaf from birth? How about hard of hearing from birth and became later Deaf? How about born hearing with a fast progressive loss? How about born hearing but deafened by illness before age 2? When does the hearing loss become the person? How about having a CI, does that affect your Deaf status?

I was one that was hard of hearing from birth and later started becoming Deaf :deaf:. I hope all the d/Deaf/hh I meet here and in person will agree (in the sense of accepting me in the culture). :wave:

Back