Do you think that deaf culture should be shared with hoh/hearing people

• yes

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • no, and please explain why briefly.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

rjr2006

Reaction score
I am just curious, because I am profoundly deaf, I have a friend who is HoH, and he feels left out in both hearing and deaf worlds. I am not like other deaf people, and I am living in hearing world and my HoH friend IMs me all the time because he said that some of deaf people don't want HOH people at NTID and that he is very lonely, because he speaks more than me.
I don't mind being with d/hoh/hearing people, but I believe that the deaf culture should be shared with HOH and HEARING people, instead of keeping it for themselves, for instance, Galludett University and ASD.

that sucks if deaf people don't share with hard of hearing people
because it would be nice to go to McDonalds with them
and have hard of hearing people to sign and try to order for you
at McDonalds.

Through my mind I know deaf world is not really interested in me.

I seen that hearing world have interested in me better than deaf world but I am deaf and know about deaf world and there is not much to say anything as alike deaf world at all. It means that I could not get along with those who likes to be part of negative,bigot,meek,insult,and there is not much to say anything that makes me feel losing interested in deaf world. I really not need that kind of problems going on here. Just because I said so. I really not used to it but those who can be used to it that is fine no problem for them. It depends on their individual can handling and can using good sense to keep up companionship each others too. Mine is not have that kind of good sense to use my conversation with them. I usually as like being lonely that is all. I think it is long story for me to tell why.

my view

no offense u guys...but in my experience....for 8 yrs i have been in hearing world cuz i went to hearing school and i noticed that hearing people more interest in deaf cuz deaf is like rare to them and u dont see deaf people everyday do u? no face the fact that u are living in hearing world.....u see hearing people everyday....anyways the point is that hearing people are more interest in deaf and they wud think deaf are cool and friendly to them and become friends that pretty fast...and then for 4 years i am in deaf world and i go to deaf school...ugh...i noticed something that are very mean abt them that they are not interest in deaf cuz we are the same deaf people.....they call me bad names and everything...make my life like a hell :rl: and also they turn against hearing people..so i rather hearing world than deaf world but my opintion is that deaf and hearing people are equal and same....no matter what u do or whatever...they wud undy ur feeling or whatever....only different is that u cant hear and they can hear that it.....

and also all of my family and side of their family are hearing and i am only deaf so i learn lot abt hearing and deaf world soo there u go..... :aw: :thumb:

at McDonalds.
--------------------------------------------------------------

U think me helplessQQ me go restuants... need helpQQ
belive me me have be live polly long then U... back in 1970 we do not have
tech as now... Have more deaf/hoh frds then hearie frds.. polly me live Deaf wrld...
Cap HoH mean prsn hard of hear in Deaf Culture.. small hoh means prsn live hearing wrld is hard of hear... Big D inculdes all ppl who invoild w/ Deaf culture/community....
Deaf Communiy is cirle... u have outside cirle inside core cirle...
Take Miss*Pinocchio reply... maywhy some Deaf ppl " turn against hearing people".....
Learn abt our Deaf history... Not from net or books !

LMM

LMM said:
at McDonalds.
--------------------------------------------------------------

U think me helplessQQ me go restuants... need helpQQ
belive me me have be live polly long then U... back in 1970 we do not have
tech as now... Have more deaf/hoh frds then hearie frds.. polly me live Deaf wrld...
Cap HoH mean prsn hard of hear in Deaf Culture.. small hoh means prsn live hearing wrld is hard of hear... Big D inculdes all ppl who invoild w/ Deaf culture/community....
Deaf Communiy is cirle... u have outside cirle inside core cirle...
Take Miss*Pinocchio reply... maywhy some Deaf ppl " turn against hearing people".....
Learn abt our Deaf history... Not from net or books !

LMM

My translation from LMM'S post:
"Do you think that I am helpless? I go to the restaurants and I ask for help, yet people don't understand deafness. Believe me, I am probably living longer than you. There weren't any technology in the 70's, and technology is growing larger now. I have more deaf friends than in the hearing world.
HoH= a HoH person who is in the deaf culture
hoh= "hearing culture "
Yet, the deaf community is circle and they prefer to BE TOGETHER.
Ms. P, that might be the reason why some of deaf people are against hearing people and they should learn about deaf history "

------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMM, I feel that you are the ASLer, and I understand why you prefer deaf people only, but hearing people are interested in deaf culture and YES, THAT INCLUDES HOH.

hearing people are interested in deaf culture and YES, THAT INCLUDES HOH.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RJR
All ppl wlcm Deaf Community... Outside cirle for hear ppl learn abt us..terps..
Inside CODA any kind hear loss.. Core cirle Deaf have never live hear wld..
leader...
we accept all.. only we do not accept ppl change us... big no no...
U accept deaf way.. u be one... big D... we do not tell ppl they hard of hear.. Ppl accept Deaf ways.. no matter wht loss U have..
this may for ppl who live hear wrld.. Me feel thread put down me culture!
culture have fight long... Ppl see we community..Not Cult! me read many many thread here.. Ppl luv claim they know much abt Deaf community polly no never be clubs...
Ppl can learn Deaf trust... 1 way... me feel ppl want baby cry no me !
Pride frist ASL language... lot ppl know othr brd me.. think rude... Me how are me ! Me know lot lot ppl here.... Change name.. same shit reply same...

LMM

Actually I think that little hoh people would better be called hearing impaired.
I am hoh myself, and can hear quite welll......Yet I DON"T fit in 100% with the hearing world. Yeah, I can function somewhat....but saying that a hoh kid has integrated into the hearing world b/c they don't have the gift of deaf culture or any ASL abilty, is like saying that an English speaker has integrated into the French world b/c they are fluent in French.
We hoh folks, have poor self esteem, high rates of drug and alchohol abuse and lots of other things.
Yeah, I can understand why some hardcore radical Deaf types are anti-hoh....
In the past a lot of hoh kids were taught that they were MUCH better then manual deafies b/c they could hear and talk......and there are still many many many AG Bell types who are chaunvistic (stuck up) about their hearing and speech abilties or their education levels.
I think it's changing slowly but surely.....I know at least ten or twenty hoh girls who are in Deaf programs! Their parents have not complained or commented that their girls aren't totally a part of the Deaf world. And I mean stats say that 20% or 30% of hoh kids are in Deaf programs......and that's a LOT!

Deaf as a culture comes from the fact that the people are shunned by Hearing. Hard of hearing people are also shunned by Hearing. And there's really no legitimate logic on which it could be stated that a hearing person could not be Deaf.

If Deaf people don't want hearing people to be able to be Deaf, they systematically ignore every reason that Deaf is a community and they're not Deaf or Hearing, just idiots.

I don't believe in being selfish with our culture - I don't mind when hearing people getting an idea about us by hanging out with deafies, etc...the more the merrier! :D Seriously, I think it's great having this integration because more hearing people are picking up ASL these days, which means better means of communicating with us.

And there's really no legitimate logic on which it could be stated that a hearing person could not be Deaf.
Agreed.....there are hearing people with speech disabilties who use ASL as an expressive language, due to things like apraxia or tracheostomies.....

I have bilateral ANs, and have 60% loss in the left ear, 50% loss in the right ear. I had two semesters of ASL in college a few years ago, but have lost most of the signs due to not using them. I find it very tiring and difficult to try to listen to conversations in public, and have long ago stopped watching TV (I watch movies on DVD on my computer with headphones, sound turned full up and captions.) I've taught my hearing wife a few signs, and we will use signs to communicate in restaurants or in loud public areas.

I have also felt "shut out" and discriminated against because I am hoh. I am losing the hearing world and not welcome in the Deaf world. :p I am 42, and a Realtor. I hope to have my business grown to the point that I can use the Internet and wireless PDAs to continue to work after losing the rest of my hearing, but I don't know if I can pull that off. If I can regain my ASL proficiency, I hope to be able to help Deaf/HOH with real estate, but I feel self-concious about asking for tutoring at the local Deaf dinner at the mall food court. I usually just sit there and get "down" because I can't hear what the hearing people are saying, and can't follow the Deaf conversations either.

I have also felt "shut out" and discriminated against because I am hoh. I am losing the hearing world and not welcome in the Deaf world.
You late deafened? I can understand how a lot of late deafened (even as children) people might not feel a part of the Deaf world.....b/c nereologically they are Hearing. They didn't grow up with their loss.....
Steven, I encourage you to keep on with ASL and involvement in Deaf culture but also join orgs like ALDA and SHHH....it's very possible to be a part of all three of the worlds. (Deaf, Hearing, and Hearing Healthy)
Anyway, what a lot more of the Deaf extremists have to realize is that the only way ASL/Sign is gonna survive is NOT through being all "racially pure" but admitting and accepting hoh folks into the fold, and also accepting orally educated kids into the culture. Sure we can speak....BUT most of us orally trained/orally educated kids didn't even have a SAY in how we were educated. God, if I'd had a choice, I SO would have liked to have been raised using BOTH ASL and English!

Hey DD,

Yes, I am late-deafened. It started about ten-fifteen years ago, and by 1998 was so bad I had to quit my job driving a delivery truck because I couldn't understand the radio dispatcher. :p

When I first started learning ASL, the two little girls next door (who thought I was some sort of robot when I began wearing hearing aids! :D) became very interested in ASL, and wanted my textbook! I taught them the alphabet, and how to fingerspell their names, and would tell them fairy tales in sign and speaking at the same time. ;)

I need to revisit my college and get into some of the Deaf/HoH activities. I think I insulted my old instructor when I emailed him and used ASL grammar structure without thinking. :Oops:

I guess another reason I feel "Between worlds" is that I also have bad eyesight, so it is hard to follow Deaf conversations, and also hard to follow hearing conversations due to my hearing loss.

Ok, enough "woe is me," I gotta do some work! ;)

Again, as I said, it's very possible to be a part of all three worlds....Definitly join SHHH and ALDA. Continue learning Sign.....it's a lot of fun, and definitly more interesting then reading about the latest Hearing Health sctuff....

fei ku said:
i noticed that hearing people more interest in deaf cuz deaf is like rare to them and u dont see deaf people everyday do u? no face the fact that u are living in hearing world.....u see hearing people everyday....anyways the point is that hearing people are more interest in deaf and they wud think deaf are cool and friendly to them and become friends that pretty fast..
my opintion is that deaf and hearing people are equal and same....no matter what u do or whatever...they wud undy ur feeling or whatever....only different is that u cant hear and they can hear that it.....
and also all of my family and side of their family are hearing and i am only deaf so i learn lot abt hearing and deaf world soo there u go.
:gpost: I feel the same way!

I am HoH

I have lived in a strange world. As a hard of hearing person (I can't hear in my right ear and I have bad hearing in my left ear), I have never felt at home in the hearing world. For example, I am a piest and I have had couples ask for the "other priest" because they don't want me to do their wedding because of my voice. It hurts but I don't let them bring me down. Now I am learning ASL and want to be more involved in the Deaf Community. I hope they will accept me as a human being who needs to be understood and appreciated.

Can anyone tell me about ALDA? Do they have a web site? I have heard of SHHH.

I can't hear what the hearing people are saying, and can't follow the Deaf conversations either.

--

WOOO.
Go us. xD
I often at times feel the same ways because I live in the "Hearing" world, of sorts, and all the times when I'm with my friends it's like I'm just sitting there and eventually someone will be like "Oh hi you're there oh nevermind it wasn't important" I think that we should have a place for the HoH people ;}

Looks like I am the No vote in this group ;)

I am saying no because:

1) I don't know what "deaf culture" is

2) It is a waste of time.

Back