For Hearing Educators

You do understand that's how propaganda works right? The Russians must LOVE you. That is one of the ways they try to sell oralism by highlighting the superstars who would be superstars even if they were hearing. When's the last time an AG Bell scholarship was given to a kid attending a state university?
Ok, let me get this right, I can't trust deaf adults because they are brain-washed idiots. I can't trust deaf adult professionals because they are the exception. I can't trust high achieving deaf individuals because they don't count. I can't believe my students and former students. I shouldn't listen to the parents of the children I serve. I should only listen to you.

Here, after a quick Google search, I found this list of scholarship winners: https://www.audiologyonline.com/releases/ag-bell-2016-college-scholarship-17632

8/20 are attending a state school.

Connor Boike of Michigan, attending the University of Michigan
Garrett Brown of Florida, attending the University of Florida
Ellaine Chou of California, attending Cornell University
Spencer Elliott of Arizona, attending Arizona State University
Riley Gideon of Ohio, attending the University of Michigan
Daniel Gonzalez Cunningham of Texas, attending the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Kira Holton of Minnesota, attending Gustavus Adolphus College
Marie Johnson of Virginia, attending Hillsdale College
Rachit Kumar of Ohio, attending Georgia Institute of Technology
Evan Mercer of Georgia, attending Vanderbilt University
Nicholas Minton of Florida, attending Carnegie Mellon University
Courtland Priest of Massachusetts, attending Tufts University
Logan Remington of Minnesota, attending the University of Minnesota
Young Jae Ryu of California, attending Columbia University
Zachary Schuhmann of Kentucky, attending the University of Louisville
Jaehoon Sung of North Carolina, attending Duke University
Hugh Thorner of New York, attending the University of Virginia
Willa Tsao of Wisconsin, attending Cornell University
Patrick Walter of Ohio, attending Ohio State University
Alyssa Wciorka of Wisconsin, attending the University of Wisconsin

Last edited:
Not unless you worked at a sizable GRADED oral deaf school like CID or Clarke. You do realize most Deaf families don't pick oralism as a be all or end all placement, but as a placement to work on speech skills, right? Then they use terps or even send their kids to Deaf School. Also considering the percentage of Deaf families that KNOW that Sign using schools and programs offer a TON of speech therapy and HOH skills, especially now. In the past SOME Sign using programs may have lacked in speech interventions, which is why some families may have had to opt for oralism.....That's genrally not the case any more except in the case of parents or even oral educators who think that the usage of Sign in a program, means no speech or HOH interventions are offered
What? I have told you that I am currently serving two Deaf families and that I have worked with several deaf adults. What does that have to do with whether or not our school groups students by language or by grade? I have worked in public and private programs and have had Deaf parents in both settings.

What? I have told you that I am currently serving two Deaf families and that I have worked with several deaf adults. What does that have to do with whether or not our school groups students by language or by grade? I have worked in public and private programs and have had Deaf parents in both settings.
How do we know you're not turning "Oh I spoke with a Deaf adult or a couple of Deaf families into "I worked with them?" You keep contradicting yourself, ignoring questions etc......

How do we know you're not turning "Oh I spoke with a Deaf adult or a couple of Deaf families into "I worked with them?" You keep contradicting yourself, ignoring questions etc......
We don’t know. That’s just it. I myself have wondered some things about her too, but I’ve not turned it into a vendetta such as you have. Do you know this teacher personally? I’m sure you don’t. Do you know the children she’s encountered? I’m sure you don’t. Do you know the adults she’s referred to? I’m sure you don’t. Give it up and stop badgering the poor poster. Nobody else is even replying in this thread anymore.

We don’t know. That’s just it. I myself have wondered some things about her too, but I’ve not turned it into a vendetta such as you have. Do you know this teacher personally? I’m sure you don’t. Do you know the children she’s encountered? I’m sure you don’t. Do you know the adults she’s referred to? I’m sure you don’t. Give it up and stop badgering the poor poster. Nobody else is even replying in this thread anymore.

I haven't been replying but have been reading. One thing I can't get over is deafdyke does not seem to know the meaning of "currently or current". Teacherof thedeaf has said over and over again that it is her current job that uses listening and spoken language. That does not mean that she has not had the other experiences in the past.

I am not contradicting myself. I have also answered every question except for the name of my current school.

Back