For adults who were BORN deaf & transitioned from HA to CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
N22 and the freedom.

Insurance will not consider an upgrade since I already have a functioning working processor. I even at one point said I wanted the magnet out of my head and they said it was consisered opitional. Even with the mysterious migraines ill only get in the CI area of my head.

I do not ever want to ruin my other ear as im always holding hope they can make the decfective inside ear mend itself again.

Thats how CI works. Attend to the latest newest magnet people first and forget about everyone else down the line

This really sucks...
Om curious what woumd be the cost to remove it?
Msyteriois migrains is another ci experience ive seen more.then a few.desfies.suffer from..

N22 and the freedom.

Insurance will not consider an upgrade since I already have a functioning working processor. I even at one point said I wanted the magnet out of my head and they said it was consisered opitional. Even with the mysterious migraines ill only get in the CI area of my head.

I do not ever want to ruin my other ear as im always holding hope they can make the decfective inside ear mend itself again.

Thats how CI works. Attend to the latest newest magnet people first and forget about everyone else down the line
The Freedom can upgrade to the N22 should be backwards compatible with the N6 sometime this year. Depends when FDA gives approval.
The lifespan of a processor for insurance purposes in U.S. is 5 years. If you're freedom is more than 5 years old then your surgeon or audiologist needs to file an appeal.

2nd, contact cochlear directly and ask to speak to one of their on staff medical personnel. Explain the migraine issue. Because this could be a complication related to the implant your doctor is required to act on it. They should help you get some action from your doctor. I assume that you are getting migraines when not using the implant?

I assume that you are getting migraines when not using the implant?
By design no doubt...
Interesting interesting....ive never thought it was just coincedence,...mmmm

By design no doubt...
Interesting interesting....ive never thought it was just coincedence,...mmmm
Out of context quote? I don't understand your reply?
The reason I asked this is because if starts while using CI it could very well be caused by the mapping or stimulation of a specific electrode within the cochlear. I have had certain maps during research process that actually caused pain or muscle twitch. I know and have read of multiple occurrences of this type of issue. It is relatively easy to fix usually by modifying the mapping and simulation methods, power etc.
Intentionally causing migraines? Absolutely not intentional!
Let's get back to helping the member resolve her problem with helpful and constructive info and questions. This thread is definitely not the place for your anti CI preaching. It doesn't help the person at all.
Start a new thread and copy and paste comments out of context if you need to. Please try and think of someone other than yourself for once.

Out of context quote? I don't understand your reply?
The reason I asked this is because if starts while using CI it could very well be caused by the mapping or stimulation of a specific electrode within the cochlear. I have had certain maps during research process that actually caused pain or muscle twitch. I know and have read of multiple occurrences of this type of issue. It is relatively easy to fix usually by modifying the mapping and simulation methods, power etc.
Intentionally causing migraines? Absolutely not intentional!
Let's get back to helping the member resolve her problem with helpful and constructive info and questions. This thread is definitely not the place for your anti CI preaching. It doesn't help the person at all.
Start a new thread and copy and paste comments out of context if you need to. Please try and think of someone other than yourself for once.

My reply was just stating the obvious, re the ci and migrains. re not wearing it..ive known a few who also suffered those kinds of migrains...thats all..
It wasnt an attack on you, so dont take it as one...
Im.not preaching man, relax...we are discussing facts

We have a member here who suffers debilitating headaches ever since he got his CI.

The Freedom can upgrade to the N22 should be backwards compatible with the N6 sometime this year. Depends when FDA gives approval.
The lifespan of a processor for insurance purposes in U.S. is 5 years. If you're freedom is more than 5 years old then your surgeon or audiologist needs to file an appeal.

2nd, contact cochlear directly and ask to speak to one of their on staff medical personnel. Explain the migraine issue. Because this could be a complication related to the implant your doctor is required to act on it. They should help you get some action from your doctor. I assume that you are getting migraines when not using the implant?

Thats what they said when N5 rolled out. Never happened. I was waiting for the upgrade from my 3G. Audie told me to wait. Never happened n got freedom instead.

Mirgranes had no correlation to me wearing it or not. I had it since high school. When I didnt wear it for 5 years in a row it still happened.

This really sucks...
Om curious what woumd be the cost to remove it?
Msyteriois migrains is another ci experience ive seen more.then a few.desfies.suffer from..

Was afraid to ask price tag. I just keep getting its not the CI magnet answer. Sure......why is it in that spot no where else in my head.

Was afraid to ask price tag. I just keep getting its not the CI magnet answer. Sure......why is it in that spot no where else in my head.
Removing the actual disk which is not a magnet but mild steel magnetic surface, is a 10 minute in office procedure by a CI surgeon. Removing the entire electrode array is, prob outpatient surgery similar to original surgery
Convince a neurologist you need mri. Then CI surgeon should have no problem taking disc out. Not sure if they have some type of filter disc to put in the empty space

Last edited:
Thats what they said when N5 rolled out. Never happened. I was waiting for the upgrade from my 3G. Audie told me to wait. Never happened n got freedom instead.

Mirgranes had no correlation to me wearing it or not. I had it since high school. When I didnt wear it for 5 years in a row it still happened.

Harsh...migrains suck....a hidden cost to ci .....(shakes head)..

Thats a good question. Of course they are ignoring it. anything but the ci is how they will think...considering what theyve been telling you...
Burutal...

Last edited:
Removing the actual disk which I'd not a magnet but mild steel magnetic surface, is a 10 minute in office procedure by a CI surgeon.
Convince a neurologist you need mri. Then CI surgeon should have no problem taking disc out. Not sure if they have some type of filter disc to put in the empty space

I dont think it is that easy with my magnet. Its very deep in my head. It was done early 90s. I was first few people to get it. ENT even rrecommend not to remove it.

Its not the same as later recipients.

I dont think it is that easy with my magnet. Its very deep in my head. It was done early 90s. I was first few people to get it. ENT even rrecommend not to remove it.

Its not the same as later recipients.
Ah, Ok. That Sucks. Sorry to hear that.

On a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being poor and 10 being excellent, how would you rate your hearing with a HA and how is it now with an implant?

This is only for adults that were born deaf and wore HA for years before moving onto an implant please, as I need experiences similar to my own :)

I don't understand why you want to have us grade between 1 to 10 to see if we can hear better with hearing aid(s) including the difference with CI? None of them here on your post did not mentioned numbers at all. They wanted to explained their experiences relating to their difference of hearing loss regarding to hearing aid(s) or CI.

I was born deaf and did not have hearing aid until I was almost 9 years old. I was very happy to be deaf before I got my first hearing aid. I did not like the environment sounds at all but I got stuck because of hearing people who wanted me to hear with sounds. Hearing aid(s) and CI are tools to hear environment sounds.

Hearing people can not make us listen to the words or sounds (different directions where the sounds came from or knowing what the sounds were like for example, barking or people talking out of range but not know the location). Hearing aid(s) and CI are just like eyeglasses (prescription lenses are great to be able to see clearly but not hearing aids).

I have learned rumors about CI because they are so noisy (very loud sounds) including Darth Vader sounds (robot type) and can cause headaches and other conditions. That is what concerned me about babies having to be put on CI by their hearing parents and hearing doctors (surgeons). Also it is surgery which is a risk to their brains. Not only that, it is not life threatening like if you broke a leg or have cancer which is important to have surgery to repair or fix but not for deaf babies and children when it come to CI.

I don't like your questions about comparing with us using numbers to find out whether hearing aid(s) and CI are good or bad. So I have a feeling that you are hearing asking this for your own homework test or survey.

Tell us why you are doing this. :pissed:

I don't like your questions about comparing with us using numbers to find out whether hearing aid(s) and CI are good or bad. So I have a feeling that you are hearing asking this for your own homework test or survey.

Tell us why you are doing this. :pissed:

She's doing it because she is considering getting a CI. She's trying to find out from others if it's worth it.

She's doing it because she is considering getting a CI. She's trying to find out from others if it's worth it.

Thank you! As if my intentions were not already obvious. I was born severely deaf in both ears, and have worn HA from the age of 1. I am now 24 and my hearing has progressed to profound and I want to know if a Cochlear Implant will help me to hear better than with HA.

But I shouldn't have to explain myself.. it is pretty obvious that I am trying to find out if a CI is better than HA.....

To the person who took it personally and asked me to explain myself... you are a complete doofus.

Thank you! As if my intentions were not already obvious. I was born severely deaf in both ears, and have worn HA from the age of 1. I am now 24 and my hearing has progressed to profound and I want to know if a Cochlear Implant will help me to hear better than with HA.

But I shouldn't have to explain myself.. it is pretty obvious that I am trying to find out if a CI is better than HA.....

To the person who took it personally and asked me to explain myself... you are a complete doofus.

I could call you the same, but I'll refrain because name-calling isn't needed here. Grow up.

I see by your few post count that you are relatively new to this forum. You don't have any idea the sheer volume of students that come through this forum asking us about HA/CIs for purpose of their homework, expecting us to do it for them. That is likely why you were asked by someone what your situation was. :roll:

I wouldn't mind calling you names. But suffice it to say, I bet you wouldn't say something like that if a person in real life asked you to clarify something.

(If I were to call names, I would have said you are a real little snot.)

Cochlear reps just did a free local bowling night. I asked them about the n22 comparability and they said Friday they were so close to the N6 release that they would have had a bunch of pissed of recipients if they got the n5 and a year later the n6 was released. She also said there are Cochlear employees that currently are using N22 with the N6 processor and they are just waiting on FDA approval.

What?!?!? No "OMG YOU"RE ATTACKING THE CI!?!?!?" post about this comment? Seems like when I say something like this, I'm automaticly attacked, but when someone else says something like this it's let go....

Someone should dragging your hand and pull out of CI club.

Your post isn't going change anyone.

It is just like telling me that I should quit to do strength to be a bodybuilding.

If you continue to discuss in this section so it make looks like you want to get CI.

Are you looking for CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back