florida deaf community?

Someone to practice with

I am looking for someone in the Northwest Florida/Crestview area who would be interested in practicing ASL.

This thread has not been open for a month or so. I am an interpreter student, and my husband and I are looking to move to the west coast of Florida. It seems like Tampa is the place to be? We just don't want it to be "retirement" community central... KWIM :lol: I ma still in beginning ASL, but I have fallen in love with the deaf community here in Cincinnati, and I would like to have a large, strong deaf community to move into.

Then tampa or st Petersburg is the place to be

I'm from Florida, too .. welcome! I moved to Florida several years ago. I'm still bit "new" here, too.

From what I was told that Tampa Bay area (Tampa, STP, and Clearwater) may be the largest deaf community in the state of Florida. I still believe so.

VP Directory should show you that there is a large deaf community in FL. Though not all registered on vp directory but in general speaking. FL is ranked 3rd in that vp directory for all states.

Where in fl you from tampa bay here

I agree with this poster. :) I am from Florida too....and I knew that Tampa has a large population of deaf people there. There are many deaf people all over FL, not just in Tampa, STP, and in Clearwater. :) Even in St. Augustine where there is a school for the deaf. :)

St Petersburg #1 I live in tampa

I know it is 2019 but i am wondering the update on Deaf Community in Florida. Is St petersburg Florida still have large Deaf Community? All ages? Perhap age group around 35-40? Tampa Bay? I am considering to move but want to explore the options.

Let me know!

Hi, this is a new update. I am deaf and have been living in Kansas the last 15 years or so. I'm from Texas originally. Now my question is are there any Deafies that live in or around Tallahassee? I am interested in perhaps relocating there for work. I've been laid off permanently since June 2020. I am interested in knowing if there's anyone who are working for the state agencies located in Tally. I know state jobs tend to be stable and less likely to be laid off or whatnot. I graduated in 2016 with a Bachelor's in General Studies with a minor in Communications but have been told to call it a Communications degree because 70% of the courses that I took were in the Communications field. I haven't had an opportunity to use it and I ended up working in the custodial field the last 3 years or so. My last job before being laid off was being an Event Worker I for the local convention center. I want to stay away from the custodial field or anything related with moving large objects for a good long while. I might consider other towns but I've noticed that most of Florida is extremely expensive so I'm trying to keep myself in the affordable category which seems to range from Tallahassee to Pensacola. I have been to Pensacola before for a friend's wedding. I've been to Orlando when I was a kid for Disney. So any feedback would be nice and PM me if you know of a good opportunity. I'm willing to send my LinkedIn profile upon request.

Forgot to add that I have manufacturing experience. I have a Certification in Machining Technology and Composite Technology. I worked 2 and half years in the machining field. I prefer cnc router work over the regular cnc machining work. Thank you.

Last edited:
Wonder is there a Deaf community in St. Petersburg Florida? Or is it for interpreting students? Which Deaf community is large in Florida? Ages 40-50?

Thanks and looking forward for your response.

Hi this is Me and I am hard of hearing I’m looking for females friends like Girls Trip and let said Deafs Girls Trip and hang out get to know each other’s and like Girlfriends show and Sista advice something’s like that like The Best Man movie couples etc. Can text me or call me VP. Fun things and go traveling worlds so we can meet but at first get to know each other’s at first before processing for now.

Hi this is Me and I am hard of hearing I’m looking for females friends like Girls Trip and let said Deafs Girls Trip and hang out get to know each other’s and like Girlfriends show and Sista advice something’s like that like The Best Man movie couples etc. Can text me or call me VP. Fun things and go traveling worlds so we can meet but at first get to know each other’s at first before processing for now.
hello
Here is the Florida Deaf Events:
Hope it helps....

Back