Flaws Found in State Child-Abuse Registries

Oh, I know! There are way too many children being registered as sex offenders and by doing so, we are ruining their chances at having any kind of life after 18. That registry follows them even after they no longer have to register. There is always some group that will dredge up your old information and keep your name in the limelight. I am against the registries. When I was a kid there was no registry and you know what? A lot of children were still molested and you know by whom? Family or family friends. Rarely, are kids molested by strangers. Even if there was a sex offender in the neighborhood, they didn't get chances to molest because back then parents watched their children and raised their children to know better than to go in someone's house. We played outside, we didn't go in our friend's houses nor did our friends come in ours. I think the only ones that should have access to the registry are cops and schools. I dont think we need to know. We just need to watch our children closely and raise them to listen as we were raised to.

Oh, I know! There are way too many children being registered as sex offenders and by doing so, we are ruining their chances at having any kind of life after 18. That registry follows them even after they no longer have to register. There is always some group that will dredge up your old information and keep your name in the limelight. I am against the registries. When I was a kid there was no registry and you know what? A lot of children were still molested and you know by whom? Family or family friends. Rarely, are kids molested by strangers. Even if there was a sex offender in the neighborhood, they didn't get chances to molest because back then parents watched their children and raised their children to know better than to go in someone's house. We played outside, we didn't go in our friend's houses nor did our friends come in ours. I think the only ones that should have access to the registry are cops and schools. I dont think we need to know. We just need to watch our children closely and raise them to listen as we were raised to.
Actually it isn't a matter of not going into friends houses. People in professions that interact with kids also have a better chance to abuse them. We did go to our friends' houses and sometimes played inside. While you are against the registry there are benefits to it, but not everyone on it is really a sexual predator and many sexual abusers are never listed on that list. It is really a matter of cleaning up the listing and managing it in a federal database so that the predators cannot skip around from one state to another. Many of the real abusers are also violent which is why that list is needed.

The problem is that once you are seen on the registry, MOST people automatically assume that you are a pedophile..They don't associate the registry as just a list of people who have been accused of a sexual offense and some of those offenses can be very minor indeed. The lists are used to drive them "out of our neighborhoods" and yes sadly some have been killed because they were "pedophiles". I am against it because people are not using it for what it was intended to be used for....informational purposes only so that they may be aware. As for the list, it isnt really working as it is. Many offenders simply drop off the radar and stop registering. Most do so, because by registering they have a much harder time finding a place to live and when they do, people wanna run them off, understandably but...Many are sent back to prison for failure to register but those are only the ones that are caught. Many aren't.

The problem is that once you are seen on the registry, MOST people automatically assume that you are a pedophile..They don't associate the registry as just a list of people who have been accused of a sexual offense and some of those offenses can be very minor indeed. The lists are used to drive them "out of our neighborhoods" and yes sadly some have been killed because they were "pedophiles". I am against it because people are not using it for what it was intended to be used for....informational purposes only so that they may be aware. As for the list, it isnt really working as it is. Many offenders simply drop off the radar and stop registering. Most do so, because by registering they have a much harder time finding a place to live and when they do, people wanna run them off, understandably but...Many are sent back to prison for failure to register but those are only the ones that are caught. Many aren't.
That is a huge problem, and you are quite right. Maybe it should be dropped. It could just be a method to defame someone who is not liked, too. Scary stuff.

That is a huge problem, and you are quite right. Maybe it should be dropped. It could just be a method to defame someone who is not liked, too. Scary stuff.

Think of how many falsely accused could be on this registry also. Plus, in the state of Ohio if you are above 14 and accused of any sexually related crimes you can be forced to register. I do not agree with this. We take away a child's life before he even begins to really have one.

Back