Flaunting homosexuality in forums? [Don't FLAME me!]

ASLuser101

Reaction score
Okay, now put your pistols away and let me explain . . .

Elsewhere on the net (no, it was not DM), deaf individuals who otherwise might be open to an individual's choice to be TLBG have found it distasteful that some people "flaunt" their choices in life in public forums such as this one. As a result these individuals shy away from publically supporting this group or posting in any related thread.

What say you? Is flaunting going on? If so, is it at an acceptable level? If not, is it worth the tradeoff for bad PR? Or, "the hell with them!", TLBG has been oppressed long enough and its their time to flaunt!?

[Note: don't flame me! I've taken no position on the "flaunting" issue other than to bring the topic to the table for discussion! For the record, I support an individual's right to choose any lifestyle!:)]

Hm...it really depends on the person, really. Some people like to be open with their sexuality whilst others prefer to be subtle about it. I don't mind if they're open with their sexuality and show it, but it can get a bit embarrassing if they overdo it...you know?

I am amazed that people continue to raise this hoary old question, is there too much flaunting, why do they flaunt it too much, if only they didn't flaunt themselves....everytime gays/ lesbians are accused of flaunting themselves, you can be assured that homophobia and prejudcie are not far behind.

Why doesn't anybody ask if heterosexuals are flaunting it..they do, on TV, in the movies, when they go parking, in restaraunts, when they have kids, their fucking boring events like weddings and engagements and gee haven't they got anything better to do with their lives. If heterosexuals were a pair of legs, they would be open 24/7 :sure:

If people's support for our rights was dependent on how we "flaunt" ourselves, then it doesn't say much for them now does it?

I've even experienced the deaf version of someone telling me not to flaunt my deafness by signing in public...that only goes to prove that the person, people embarrassed about the so called flaunting still ahve issues.

Come on let's get a life here. :cheers:

deafbrutha said:
I am amazed that people continue to raise this hoary old question, is there too much flaunting, why do they flaunt it too much, if only they didn't flaunt themselves....everytime gays/ lesbians are accused of flaunting themselves, you can be assured that homophobia and prejudcie are not far behind.

Why doesn't anybody ask if heterosexuals are flaunting it..they do, on TV, in the movies, when they go parking, in restaraunts, when they have kids, their fucking boring events like weddings and engagements and gee haven't they got anything better to do with their lives. If heterosexuals were a pair of legs, they would be open 24/7 :sure:

If people's support for our rights was dependent on how we "flaunt" ourselves, then it doesn't say much for them now does it?

I've even experienced the deaf version of someone telling me not to flaunt my deafness by signing in public...that only goes to prove that the person, people embarrassed about the so called flaunting still ahve issues.

Come on let's get a life here. :cheers:

:thumb: well said!!!!! and yes u also have a point -- hetrosexuals do indeed flaunt themselves in public

to flaunt or not to flaunt is the question, and i think we re both at fault, both homosexuals and hetrosexuals, some poeple can go to the extreme while others just get sutle, for example some states are major rednecks so we re quite abt our lives and show considerations, while some like say SF or LA or NY they can go to the extreme and flaunt a bit too much, whilist, we re told not to flaunt our deafness in public i say hell with them, i rather sign than not know what the hell is being said i rather be affection to my fellow friends of all race creed sexual oreintation as long as we love our mankind then we're just fine with what we do and live with but deaf brutha said has a good point as well we go overboard sometimes too.

java sez: "we go overboard sometimes too."

what about in this forum? overboard sometimes? Or about the same as hetrosexuals going overboard too?

javapride said:
to flaunt or not to flaunt is the question, and i think we re both at fault, both homosexuals and hetrosexuals, some poeple can go to the extreme while others just get sutle, for example some states are major rednecks so we re quite abt our lives and show considerations, while some like say SF or LA or NY they can go to the extreme and flaunt a bit too much, whilist, we re told not to flaunt our deafness in public i say hell with them, i rather sign than not know what the hell is being said i rather be affection to my fellow friends of all race creed sexual oreintation as long as we love our mankind then we're just fine with what we do and live with but deaf brutha said has a good point as well we go overboard sometimes too.

Whether we go overboard or whether we are subtle, why should it matter? What the hell is the problem people have with flaunting?

There's a really fine line that not a lot of people are aware of -- the line that'll 'show' us where to stop and not toe the line or go overboard. :P Some people don't care...some do.

I tend to skip those posts that are "showing off their expression of homosexuality" because it seems like they are adversiting that they are single and are in search of more fun.

Oh wait...does that sound like I'm flaunting my hetrosexuality to find more fun to replace my wife....no...it's just something I play around just like those homosexuality people here.

I do know that there are other people who are OFFENDED by such a homosexualism (like egoism) attitude.

What if the parents disallows their children to browse this board because of such a homosexuality "talk" here? It's the parents' choice...not anyone else here's choice. It is SO difficult to have a deaf community that is welcoming all sorts of mixture of deaf people without any fighting.

Flaunting tend to be done overboard. It's similar to WaterRat's own posts which is mainly talking about austrilia (which I'm sure that some of us got tired of) but it's just something that she cannot help it....even there's times that I get aggravated with it....but I learn that she might have been lonely down there. Is that her purpose to be expressing her lonely? (Don't worry WaterRats :p)

What are the purposes of expressing such a homosexuality talk in all of your posts? What did we create this Rainbow section for? Why are those homosexuality talk still out of Rainbow's section? We're just humans (who wants to express all of ourselves) that makes mistakes of going overboard....even though, at this time, those do not seem like mistakes.

SilenceGold said:
I tend to skip those posts that are "showing off their expression of homosexuality" because it seems like they are adversiting that they are single and are in search of more fun.

Oh wait...does that sound like I'm flaunting my hetrosexuality to find more fun to replace my wife....no...it's just something I play around just like those homosexuality people here.

I do know that there are other people who are OFFENDED by such a homosexualism (like egoism) attitude.

What if the parents disallows their children to browse this board because of such a homosexuality "talk" here? It's the parents' choice...not anyone else here's choice. It is SO difficult to have a deaf community that is welcoming all sorts of mixture of deaf people without any fighting.

Flaunting tend to be done overboard. It's similar to WaterRat's own posts which is mainly talking about austrilia (which I'm sure that some of us got tired of) but it's just something that she cannot help it....even there's times that I get aggravated with it....but I learn that she might have been lonely down there. Is that her purpose to be expressing her lonely? (Don't worry WaterRats :p)

What are the purposes of expressing such a homosexuality talk in all of your posts? What did we create this Rainbow section for? Why are those homosexuality talk still out of Rainbow's section? We're just humans (who wants to express all of ourselves) that makes mistakes of going overboard....even though, at this time, those do not seem like mistakes.

If you or someone has a problem with "flaunting" then it is YOUR and THEIR problem not mine or anyone elses.

And SilenceGold Australia is spelt A.U.S.T.R.A.L.I.A not A.U.S.T.R.I.L.I.A..anyway what's wrong with hearing about Australia, America is not the centre of the universe you know.

Going overboard in how we express ourselves, is different to "flaunting". The impression I got from the issue raised is that us Gays and Lesbians flaunt it too much...which is bullshit. We don't do it enough!

If parents disallowed their chidlren to view this board because of all this "homosexual talk" then they are practising their prejudices! Which I believe is protected by your constitution.

Lastly, if you have a problem with us flaunting it, then what are you doing in the rainbow room? looking for an opportunity to pass on some words of wisdom perhaps?

Last edited:
SG -- in what way were you aggravated about me mentioning Australia and its laws, general discussions, etc? I'm surprised to hear about this from you -- I didn't know it was bothering you that much.
AD is 'international' for everyone to join, right? So, therefore, I'm entitled to talk about something happening in Australia...right? I do join in posting about American issues as well cos I'm from there as well! :confused:

deafbrutha -- thanks for clarifying the spelling of Australia -- some people do have that mistake of spelling it Austrilia, :dunno: why. BTW, thanks for giving me support! ;)

SG - I'm not going against you or anything, just am confused on how and in what way I've aggravated you.......can you explain? Ta!

deafbrutha said:
If you or someone has a problem with "flaunting" then it is YOUR and THEIR problem not mine or anyone elses.

And SilenceGold Australia is spelt A.U.S.T.R.A.L.I.A not A.U.S.T.R.I.L.I.A..anyway what's wrong with hearing about Australia, America is not the centre of the universe you know.

Going overboard in how we express ourselves, is different to "flaunting". The impression I got from the issue raised is that us Gays and Lesbians flaunt it too much...which is bullshit. We don't do it enough!

If parents disallowed their chidlren to view this board because of all this "homosexual talk" then they are practising their prejudices! Which I believe is protected by your constitution.

Lastly, if you have a problem with us flaunting it, then what are you doing in the rainbow room? looking for an opportunity to pass on some words of wisdom perhaps?

Okay....why are you bitching about the god's blueprints of hetrosexuality? It appears to be your problem too. :p

Call it a typo....and thanks for pointing it out...I'll fix my laptop keyboard for your sakes. :p

Bush_in_2004! was asking...

What say you? Is flaunting going on? If so, is it at an acceptable level? If not, is it worth the tradeoff for bad PR? Or, "the hell with them!", TLBG has been oppressed long enough and its their time to flaunt!?

My answer was, yes, toward his flaunting question. Is it acceptable? I was saying no...for some of the other members (currently banned).

It's the parent's decisions to pratice whatever they wish for their children. Don't make it your problem. It's same sentence that I use toward those people who are against young children with CIs.The trade off of this unacceptable level of the flaunting has cost few of the member's accounts...(I will not discuss this issue any further in public).

Of course, deafbrutha, you have said it is only our problems.

There has been problems which has involved you with your own postings. Someone has replied to your own thread and ended up getting banned over it. That problem has been seeming to involve certain "flaunting homosexual members" so this whole issue is in the matters of discussions between the moderators for where exactly this line is going to be drew. I hope that it would be done soon enough to deterimine what is enough and what is not enough.

WaterRats13 said:
SG -- in what way were you aggravated about me mentioning Australia and its laws, general discussions, etc? I'm surprised to hear about this from you -- I didn't know it was bothering you that much.
AD is 'international' for everyone to join, right? So, therefore, I'm entitled to talk about something happening in Australia...right? I do join in posting about American issues as well cos I'm from there as well! :confused:

deafbrutha -- thanks for clarifying the spelling of Australia -- some people do have that mistake of spelling it Austrilia, :dunno: why. BTW, thanks for giving me support! ;)

SG - I'm not going against you or anything, just am confused on how and in what way I've aggravated you.......can you explain? Ta!

Lettme clear it up....I chose you out because you were basically the only person who talked more about a different country (the most). I'm not aggravated with you anymore though...Lisa got me tamed on that part..lol.

Yes, AD is for anyone with an internet access to be able to take in part with. Yes, you're perfectly entitled to discuss what is occuring in Australia. I'm glad to hear that you took in part with America and I hope that you would continue to take in more further issues with both and other parts of the world.

I apologize for causing such a confusion but I was trying to get a point of how some people get aggravated with hearing things over and over repeatly. Such a homosexuality talk is getting aggravating too. Sorry if it seems like I have singled you out but I didn't intend to do that. Note that I said not to worry since if I did have a problem with you directly....you would have been the first to know from me directly.

SilenceGold said:
Lettme clear it up....I chose you out because you were basically the only person who talked more about a different country (the most). I'm not aggravated with you anymore though...Lisa got me tamed on that part..lol.

Yes, AD is for anyone with an internet access to be able to take in part with. Yes, you're perfectly entitled to discuss what is occuring in Australia. I'm glad to hear that you took in part with America and I hope that you would continue to take in more further issues with both and other parts of the world.

I apologize for causing such a confusion but I was trying to get a point of how some people get aggravated with hearing things over and over repeatly. Such a homosexuality talk is getting aggravating too. Sorry if it seems like I have singled you out but I didn't intend to do that. Note that I said not to worry since if I did have a problem with you directly....you would have been the first to know from me directly.

Alrighty, SG - thanks for clearing the air and explaining what was happening...therefore that has cleared up the confusion it has caused here. :/
I did note you saying for me not to worry...still, I had to ask because I was quite baffled. Thanks.

deafb sez: "If you or someone has a problem with "flaunting" then it is YOUR and THEIR problem not mine or anyone elses"

actually it is your problem because what good is it to drive a lot of people out of a forum if one doesn't practice moderation?

for example, lets say a community or company was engaging in discrimination and you asked for help from hetrosexuals like myself to put a stop to it. BUT, if we, your supporters, are no longer here how can we help?

however it works both ways -- if a hetrosexual people were "flaunting" their sexuality (ie: talking about "conquests") in forums all the time, you'd find people leaving that one too. I'm sure this is on moderators minds too.

you ought look for a happy medium where you can "celebrate" your choice in life without driving away your hetrosexual supporters, don't you think?

With all due respect, what do we mean by flaunting? let's clarify that....before we continue this debate.

Secondly, in this RAINBOW folder, I assume it is Gay/ Lesbian space, which means we are free to be who and what we are, without apologising.......

So if any heterosexual finds our behaviour/ comments flaunting and affronting, what are you doing here?

If hearing people came into the deaf club and started commenting on our behaviour or making comments about how we flaunt our deafness, what would you say to them???

If you were told to tone down your signing in the street, because you were flaunting or drawing attention to yourself/ your deafness, what would you say?

If a person is in the RAINBOW room to learn and ask questions, then by all means learn and ask questions, but the person has no right to admonish gay and lesbian members for seeming to flaunt, whatever we mean by that, our behaviour.

Remember, it's all in the eye of the beholder. One persons flaunting is another persons normal behaviour!

deafb,

i posted in this folder because this is where I'd find you all.

hearing people in "deaf clubs" or the oppression of "signing in public" is not what we are discussing. if you want to discuss those, start another thread and you'll find that I support you on those.

the bottom line: is "flaunting" helping or hurting your cause? I'm not here to judge you, I just want your opinions to further the discussion.

granted, homophobes will find ANY behavior "flaunting", but what about those in the middle or even those that support TLBG? Are they being offended too?

I say this because Barney Frank wasn't elected on the gay vote alone.

(you are right that you'd expect more freedom in the rainbow room, but I don't speak for the owner.)

deafbrutha said:
With all due respect, what do we mean by flaunting? let's clarify that....before we continue this debate.

Secondly, in this RAINBOW folder, I assume it is Gay/ Lesbian space, which means we are free to be who and what we are, without apologising.......

So if any heterosexual finds our behaviour/ comments flaunting and affronting, what are you doing here?

If hearing people came into the deaf club and started commenting on our behaviour or making comments about how we flaunt our deafness, what would you say to them???

If you were told to tone down your signing in the street, because you were flaunting or drawing attention to yourself/ your deafness, what would you say?

If a person is in the RAINBOW room to learn and ask questions, then by all means learn and ask questions, but the person has no right to admonish gay and lesbian members for seeming to flaunt, whatever we mean by that, our behaviour.

Remember, it's all in the eye of the beholder. One persons flaunting is another persons normal behaviour!

Now I appreciate hearing a great point from you. It would help me decide if a member is going overboard with their own reactions just because of someone making offensive statements related to homosexuality.

I got one more question....how should a hetrosexual person react if this person is getting upset when this person feels that those "flaunting" is shoved down his/her throat?

I have yet to complain abt freedom of speech since i don t want bashing in all aspect i just try to show some respect for everyone and let them enjoy it, As for the but there is a fine line of showing common sense and going to far todays soecity is Abt treating poeple with respect reason being, for example, I hope all the homos die, THATS AN EXAMPLE! that shows hate /gay bashing and thats intoleratable cuz u dont see us insulting the straights i hope the hetros die cuz i wouldn t want that on my concious. its abt judgement and if i flaunt HEY IM OUT AND PROUD, i wouldnt expect ALL to support me thers always the half and half and i chose to accept that.

Bush_in_2004! said:
deafb,

i posted in this folder because this is where I'd find you all.

hearing people in "deaf clubs" or the oppression of "signing in public" is not what we are discussing. if you want to discuss those, start another thread and you'll find that I support you on those.

the bottom line: is "flaunting" helping or hurting your cause? I'm not here to judge you, I just want your opinions to further the discussion.

granted, homophobes will find ANY behavior "flaunting", but what about those in the middle or even those that support TLBG? Are they being offended too?

I say this because Barney Frank wasn't elected on the gay vote alone.

(you are right that you'd expect more freedom in the rainbow room, but I don't speak for the owner.)

You have answered the question when you said.."granted, homophobes will find ANY behavior "flaunting", still the mistake being made in this thread is that it seems a person is only worthy of support and respect as a human being if they keep their behaviour in check? Sorry, that doesn't work.

If you respect a human being for what they are, you will separate the behaviour from entitlement to human rights. If you truly believe that we are all equal and that we are all entitled to support in fighting discrimination, then you will give that support without any reservations. If a person is embarrassed, for exmaple, about a behaviour and declines to offer support, then what does that say about that persons integrity?

But to answer your question.."flaunting" helping or hurting your cause?" it's irrelevant, because what is hindering our cause is homophobia, in all it's forms both overt and covert...so anyone who raises that issue [I'm not meaning you Bush In 2004] is guilty of homophobic assumption. Simple as that. You wouldn't say Balcks would get my support if only they stopped doing this..for example would you? You would say, without hesitation, that they deserve their rights and respect as human beings without any reservations. And so it goes with us Gays and Lesbians!

However, I have been told to tone my behaviour down in certain situations to avoid attracting violence to myself and who I am with. So basically we get it from either end.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Last edited:
Back