Ambuhhlurr

Reaction score
Tonight I'm going to my first deaf community meet. I'm super nervous. I'm HoH but my family is hearing so I never really have been around many hard of hearing or Deaf individuals other than my teachers at school.
It's at a book store which is my comfort zone so hopefully I won't freak out too bad, but I have awful anxiety when it comes to going places and meeting people due to tramatic experiences as a child which was related to my hearing. So I'm trying to prepare myself so I don't end up having a panic attack.
I'm sure I'll be fine. It's just my anxiety since I have a complex about not fitting in due to my hearing.

Deaf people are indeed blunt, but they are also kind. You'll do fine. I have a feeling they will sense your discomfort and help you become calmer. Have fun! :)

It went well except for the fact that my mother wanted to come and she sat next to me the whole time looking miserable and wouldn't talk to anyone unless they tapped her on the should even then she said "I'm not part of this. I just came here for my daughter she then preceded to yell at me for being shy and having trouble going up to people which ended in us leaving early and she mocked me and everyone there. When I told her never to come again she then started screaming and fussing and wouldn't stop until I looked at her (bc at that point I just stopped reading her lips so I didn't know what she was saying) and basically said I was selfish and ungrateful for not thanking her for coming to support me...
Sorry. Don't mean to rant, but this was supposed to be about me and meeting others of the deaf community and learning more and she just had to make it all about her and just be so disrespectful not only to me but the other people there.

Back